• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question?????

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Do any of you use a cage with 1" bar spacing for your Quaker!?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
1" is thicker than I would go. Jingo is in an old Avian Adventures Mediana and the bar spacing is advertised as 7/8, but they measure from middle of bar to middle of bar, so it's actually smaller than that. I think larger he would be able to get his head through.

PXL_20230830_211628949~2.jpg

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thank you! I didn't consider they might be measuring from the middle of the bars!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you! I didn't consider they might be measuring from the middle of the bars!
It depends on the cage manufacturer. Most do between the bars from edge to edge from my understanding. AA did theirs from center of bar, and they had thicker bars than comparable sized cages, which made the space narrower.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I had an old cage donated when I did fosters , that was 1 inch I think, was a cockatoo cage. My male quaker did ok in it, but I could see where problems might happen. So when I quit fostering I donated it .
Btw I put Ta-dah, in it once( for a few hours) , she squeezed out between the bars !

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I know everyone says the diameter of the bars doesn't matter, even the vet. But, when you try to squeeze something really thin in your fist it's harder than something thicker. I can tell from watching Oscar, especially when he's in the doorway trying to come out, that the bars on his cage are too thin and are causing him discomfort. So, I bought an A&E cage that's like brand new from FB marketplace. It's a great cage and I'm dying to get him in it. However, it's 30"L x 30" W x 54" H. Our entrance doors are 31" so it got into the house. Sadly, our bedroom doors are 28". I only have the birds in the bird room to sleep and for out of cage time. The rest of the time I wheel them out to the living room to be with us. So, I've been unable to use the A&E cage. I found another one that's almost the same measurements, with the exception of the width (depth) being 26" instead of 30". It would fit through the bird room door. But, it has 1" spacing. I think it's too big. I had bought a cage for TD once that he got his head through the bars. Thankfully he didn't get stuck! It had been advertised as 1/2", but when I measured it it was a bit more so I returned that cage and ordered another one!

This is the one that won't fit through the door!

I contacted the manufacturer of our home and had them send me the wiring diagram for our house. Today I sent for a quote to have a hole for double doors to be put in the wall to the middle bedroom from the living room and I'll make that the bird room (I just don't know how long that will take and I want him out of the skinny barred cage ASAP). 20230925_001444.jpg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Wow that is amazing cage !

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know everyone says the diameter of the bars doesn't matter, even the vet. But, when you try to squeeze something really thin in your fist it's harder than something thicker. I can tell from watching Oscar, especially when he's in the doorway trying to come out, that the bars on his cage are too thin and are causing him discomfort. So, I bought an A&E cage that's like brand new from FB marketplace. It's a great cage and I'm dying to get him in it. However, it's 30"L x 30" W x 54" H. Our entrance doors are 31" so it got into the house. Sadly, our bedroom doors are 28". I only have the birds in the bird room to sleep and for out of cage time. The rest of the time I wheel them out to the living room to be with us. So, I've been unable to use the A&E cage. I found another one that's almost the same measurements, with the exception of the width (depth) being 26" instead of 30". It would fit through the bird room door. But, it has 1" spacing. I think it's too big. I had bought a cage for TD once that he got his head through the bars. Thankfully he didn't get stuck! It had been advertised as 1/2", but when I measured it it was a bit more so I returned that cage and ordered another one!

This is the one that won't fit through the door!

I contacted the manufacturer of our home and had them send me the wiring diagram for our house. Today I sent for a quote to have a hole for double doors to be put in the wall to the middle bedroom from the living room and I'll make that the bird room (I just don't know how long that will take and I want him out of the skinny barred cage ASAP). View attachment 443292
I love that cage! I had the exact same problem with it,bought it(the floor model at a Petco that had no birds) got it in the van and tried to put it in my bedroom and nothing it was like maybe an inch and a half too big even with the door taken off. Absolutely broke my heart to take it back.

ConureFRED

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jackson
I just got my parrot a cage and I suggest getting one with a good width like 33 inches or 28 in but make sure the height matches the width

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I definitely think the diameter of the bars matters! It's much harder for them to climb if there is a mismatch between the bar spacing and wire gauge.

I remember wanting that cage several times over the years! Good find.

Can you take the cage apart to get it into the doorway?

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Wow that is amazing cage !
Can you believe I got it for $150.00! The only thing missing is the seed guard!
I love that cage! I had the exact same problem with it,bought it(the floor model at a Petco that had no birds) got it in the van and tried to put it in my bedroom and nothing it was like maybe an inch and a half too big even with the door taken off. Absolutely broke my heart to take it back.
I know how you feel. I just look at it empty every day and want to cry!
I definitely think the diameter of the bars matters! It's much harder for them to climb if there is a mismatch between the bar spacing and wire gauge.

I remember wanting that cage several times over the years! Good find.

Can you take the cage apart to get it into the doorway?
We could, but then Oscar would be alone in the bird room all day instead of out in the living area with all of us.

I can't believe I'd rather remodel my house than give up that cage! It was just such a great find and such a great deal!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Why do you have to renovate your house? Can’t you simply pull the cage down and reassemble it once inside?
None of Burt’s cages fit through doorways so I had to pull them down and flat pack them to move them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Why do you have to renovate your house? Can’t you simply pull the cage down and reassemble it once inside?
None of Burt’s cages fit through doorways so I had to pull them down and flat pack them to move them.
I think they move the cages around the house during the day. I also didn't catch that part!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Couldn’t you have two cages that one in bird room for bed etc and other cage in living room for play time afternoon naps etc

so you don’t have to remodel your house you can take cage down to flat pack put up in birds room
Or other way that’s his day cage in living room his other cage for bed ? Plus you wouldn’t be dragging three cages about this two for tiels ?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'd just break the cage down enough to slide it wherever it needs to be. Also remember, the front door is usually a couple of inches wider than the backdoor if you're just having trouble getting it in the house. We always use the back/kitchen door and our fridge wouldn't fit even with the door off the hindges so we tried the other door and it rolled right in. Pippens cage is a pretty big flight cage and it fit but finding a spot for it has been a challenge. All the rooms are full so finally put her in the dining area so at least she's out with the family. Before she was in a tiny cage in the computer room.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I want him to spend the majority of his time in the big A&E cage. All the birds spend most of their time out in the open living area with us. Getting him a nighttime cage would be great... Getting him into it every evening wouldn't be. He's still very much cage bound. It's a big, big thing to get him to let go of his cage to get him into the travel cage for the vet. Not something I want to do every day.
Couldn’t you have two cages that one in bird room for bed etc and other cage in living room for play time afternoon naps etc

so you don’t have to remodel your house you can take cage down to flat pack put up in birds room
Or other way that’s his day cage in living room his other cage for bed ? Plus you wouldn’t be dragging three cages about this two for tiels ?
The hope is for TD and AthenaDon to eventually end up in the cage Oscar is in now and for Oscar to end up in the big A&E cage. Our home is a manufactured home. The bedroom doorways are only 28".
I'd just break the cage down enough to slide it wherever it needs to be. Also remember, the front door is usually a couple of inches wider than the backdoor if you're just having trouble getting it in the house. We always use the back/kitchen door and our fridge wouldn't fit even with the door off the hindges so we tried the other door and it rolled right in. Pippens cage is a pretty big flight cage and it fit but finding a spot for it has been a challenge. All the rooms are full so finally put her in the dining area so at least she's out with the family. Before she was in a tiny cage in the computer room.
The cage can go through the front and back doors, just not into any of the bedrooms. I don't think having a door put in will be too costly and I actually like the idea. Turning the corner into the bedrooms along with the narrowness of the doors has already done damage to the door frames even with the cages they are all currently in.

Also, remember I have 2 older dogs (but still dogs). To move Oscar into a sleeping cage would have to be done in the open living space. I hate to lock them up for the time it takes to get Oscar out of one cage and into the other.

Sounds like a bunch of excuses, huh? Maybe I just want double doors in the living room?!?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yep, I have a 96 manufactured home too. I love it for the room and cheap price but a lot of things are non standard trailer only. Doors, wiring, stud spacing in the walls etc. Getting my 75 inch TV in the kitchen door, then on the wall with a special full motion mount that could handle the weight and work with 18" studs was fun, and the fridge... Still because of what it is we got a lot of house for a much lower price than a stick built house.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Yep, I have a 96 manufactured home too. I love it for the room and cheap price but a lot of things are non standard trailer only. Doors, wiring, stud spacing in the walls etc. Getting my 75 inch TV in the kitchen door, then on the wall with a special full motion mount that could handle the weight and work with 18" studs was fun, and the fridge... Still because of what it is we got a lot of house for a much lower price than a stick built house.
Absolutely agree with you! There are some things I'm not thrilled with in a manufactured home... they're a lot like RVs in certain ways. Trying to hang anything, even with anchor bolts is an adventure. I've yet to get a toilet paper holder to not get loose. But the amount of home we got, and only 4 years old, for the money was a much better deal than what we could get for the same amount for a stick and brick! And as I just turned 61, this house should last me the rest of my life without needing a new roof or other major things.

Last edited:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is there a reason why he cannot just stay in the living area at all times? Bailey is in the dining room and bed time he just gets covered and goes to sleep even though the tv is 10 feet away…they get used to new routines fairly quick. All of our birds over the years have all been in the dining room the same as now and never had any issues…

Live in an apt of only 810 square feet so probably not much bigger than a modular if not smaller so just wondering. :think1: