• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about my lovebird

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
Hey, all. I have a 5 1/2 yr old lovebird named Grego. I had a female when I adopted Grego as a companion for her. Sadly, she passed away in 2020. Since then, Grego has only had me. His breeder did not hand-feed him as a baby so he won’t let me handle him per se, but he sits on me and naps on me. I spend over an hour with him every morning and about an hour every evening after work so he can sit on me and have my company. (Weekends, he gets me most of the day.)

As for his setup, he flies free all day. His room opens into a sunroom, so he has both rooms to himself. He also has a TV and a TV watching perch (as you can see in the pic).

I’m posting for opinions on whether or not you think he’s OK alone. I wouldn’t worry so much if I could let him out into the house so he’d see me more, but my husband is scared of him. (Plus Grego starts terrorizing my small dogs when he flies in the rest of the house.)

My husband is very understanding of my morning and evening routine with Grego. (I put him to bed a little after six so he gets about 11 hrs of sleep). I’d love for him to have company during the day, but I don’t want another female (mine laid eggs chronically) and I don’t want to get another bird and risk Grego not getting along with him.

Does it sound like he is OK? I have a video camera in his room and I see that he spends the day napping, chewing on toys, watching TV, and sometimes screaming at the birds outside. (He prefers TV to the birds anymore. ) And, like I said, he is free to fly all day. I’d rather have just Grego if y’all think I’m doing enough for him.

Sorry this was so long. I wanted to give as much info as possible.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Naomi,

It sounds like Greg is given a lovely life, acess to two rooms and plenty of flight. But as for being lonely, it is possible. Unfortunately we never know what our birds are thinking, but spending such large amounts of time alone during the day is not good for a single bird.

Why not look to foster a male lovebird? Then you can give it a go, but if it doesn´t work out, there´s no hard feelings and you have still helped.
@Momo & Mido has two boys who get along somewhat out of their cages and sleep in their own cage and have their own space at night. It´s nice for them to have company, even if there´s no love bond between them.

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
That’s what I’m considering. I just usually have a hard time relinquishing an animal once it’s in my care because I don’t want anything bad happening to it and I know I’m going to take care of it.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
That’s what I’m considering. I just usually have a hard time relinquishing an animal once it’s in my care because I don’t want anything bad happening to it and I know I’m going to take care of it.
I completely get it. My idea was that even if they just spend time flying together, talk to each other, or share a very long perch, I’m already making my only bird a little less lonely. I also work at a rescue. And what I see is that the chance for them bonding for life might be somewhat small, but when you give them enough space they will at least tolerate one another.
Fostering would be even more ideal if you can. But there is always the honeymoon fase and the risk of you not want to rehome the bird, even when you maybe should.
I’m happy you considering finding a friend. And if you need help this forum is such a great place. You can also PM me if that helps. Good luck!

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
One thing I haven’t mentioned is that it took two years for Olhada (my female) to accept Grego. Even though I had them separated in a double cage during the acquaintanceship phase, she bit through his beak twice and I had to take him to the vet. But I’m sure it was because she was already bonded to me. I’d totally get another female but I can’t handle the chronic egg laying. (All the tips and tricks I read to discourage it never worked.)

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
Here is Keo, the lovebird I just adopted to be a friend to Grego. I’m using the bathroom to get them acquainted out of their cages. Keo really wants to be friends, but Grego isn’t quite there yet. 24457632-91AC-4A0E-BC8F-C20711438860.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very cute! :swoon:
Making friends can take time.

Just be mindful that if your birds are not the same sex, to remove, boil and replace any eggs laid because your birds are not the same species. Grego is a Roseicollis (peach-faced) and Keo is a Fischeri x Personatus hybrid.

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
I know, but I didn’t realize it was a problem if they bred. All I’ve read is that their babies would be sterile.

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
I’m REALLY hoping Keo is a male, though. I don’t want another chronic egg layer.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congratulations on Keo, they’re a beautiful lovie.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
but I didn’t realize it was a problem if they bred. All I’ve read is that their babies would be sterile.
Theoretically yes. But it´s not fair on a bird that hasn´t even hatched, to allow it. The problem with a Roseicollis and any eye ring type lovebird hybrids is those birds get confused as they don´t know who they are, do they carry stuff in their beak or rump?
Your hybrid is two species that are very closely related and unlikely to have the same difficulties as a hybrid from parents from two different groups.

I’m REALLY hoping Keo is a male, though. I don’t want another chronic egg layer.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you! :)
I find the boys easier so I understand, though I know some have issues with them too (their hormones).
Will you be DNA testing your bird or just waiting to see?
Until you know, minimising nooks and small spaces can help somewhat keep hormones in check.

Also, I´m amazed you have books on the shelf and they look intact! Very impressive :lol:

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
Grego never chews my books. His egg-laying mate did!!! That’s why she did not have free flight in my study. I tried every trick I researched to prevent her egg-laying but nothing worked. That’s why I want a male.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
You have two gorgeous lovebirds how have you found getting a second one ? I am so tempted

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
I searched online for a breeder. He was over three hours away.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think Emma was referring to, how the birds were when introduced to each other...

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
Oh lol!

Only supervised visits are allowed at the moment - and always outside the cages in neutral territory. Being used to other birds, Keo just wants to follow Grego around and do what he is doing, but Grego sometimes bites at him.

I bought a double cage for them to share once they get along. But my goal is to eventually let them have free flight like Grego has enjoyed. For now, he has to stay in his cage while I’m at work because he tends to sit on the edge of Keo’s cage and bite Keo’s feet. I don’t want to risk Keo losing a toe.

I’ve done this once before: I used to have a female who was very bonded to me. It took her two years to accept Grego. But since a Grego is NOT actually bonded to me, I expect he will accept Keo sooner.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
fingers crossed for u they get long soon

acaciagold

Moving in
Real Name
Naomi West
Grego and Keo are now getting along enough that I think they can live in the same cage soon. My concern is this: Grego has been on a pellet diet all his life. (He also eats fresh apple but that’s the only fresh food he’ll eat.) Keo won’t eat pellets yet. So if I move them in together, I would have to have both pellets and seed, and I’m concerned that Grego will start wanting seed and stop eating pellets. Will a bird abandon pellets even if he’s enjoyed them his whole life if he has the choice of seed? I’ve never had to deal with this because both my previous lovebird and Grego always were satisfied with pellets.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Pico will 100% choose seed over pellets I only put seed in his foraging toys and he will go for them first over pellets not sure if this is same for every bird tho pico been on pellets his whole life as a stable other owner had him on pellets