• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about angry cockatiel?

Pepper_22

Moving in
Real Name
Sav
hi everyone! A bit new here but I really needed answers about my bird but no site seems to be that helpful. So I’ve had my bird, TC for a while now. About 2 years or so. And last August I moved to college so he stays with my parents. But ever since I moved he is super moody and upset whenever I come back and try to touch him. However he will always whistle along with me when he’s in the cage. What’s up with him and how do I get him to go back to his nice and sweet self?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Copied response from your other thread.

You are no longer a part of the flock. Flocks are together every day. Right now you are just this fly by visitor/stranger who he has no reason to trust and you are forcing yourself on him. Perfectly natural expected reaction.

How do you regain his trust? Quit college and move home.

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Pepper_22 As a college student myself, I implore you. Do not drop out, your future is bright and there are ways to build a bond with your parrot that does not include jeopardizing your future, people with college degrees make more money on average, you bird may live 20+ years and you will likely live 80+ years in this era, plus how will you afford vet bills, rent or mortgage and such? It is very difficult to make a living these days even with a college degree. What if you have kids? No, no please don't drop out :) My birds are bonded with me, and I will tell you why:
I decided to stay in my hometown so I am with my birds most of the time, I suggest you bring him to your dorm or wherever you stay and then he will be more bonded with you.

Pepper_22

Moving in
Real Name
Sav
@Pepper_22 As a college student myself, I implore you. Do not drop out, your future is bright and there are ways to build a bond with your parrot that does not include jeopardizing your future, people with college degrees make more money on average, you bird may live 20+ years and you will likely live 80+ years in this era, plus how will you afford vet bills, rent or mortgage and such? It is very difficult to make a living these days even with a college degree. What if you have kids? No, no please don't drop out :) My birds are bonded with me, and I will tell you why:
I decided to stay in my hometown so I am with my birds most of the time, I suggest you bring him to your dorm or wherever you stay and then he will be more bonded with you.
oh yeah as much as i love my bird im not gonna drop my future yknow? but thank you very much for the kind words! thankfully im not that far from home so i plan on taking him in with me in my sophomore year! meanwhile ill be at home with him in the summer so thats always good lol

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you should have good results if you start over with him. Sit by his cage, talk to him, feed him treats, and never force him to do anything. Training might help strengthen your bond too, because most birds enjoy very short sessions. When you get out of college and are able to spend more time with him, he should start to trust you even more.

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Pepper_22 I'm glad to hear that, I also recommend approaching him with a treat everytime you see him, Cockatiels are very loving, generally forgiving birds(like dogs kind of) I've accidentally poked one of my tiels pin feathers while rubbing his head, he did not like that at all, but a few seconds later he was asking for another head pat.
Oh! I also suggest you let him sit on your shoulder if you can get him out. (let him come out on his own if you can. thats best)