• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Putting a new cockatiel together with my cockatiel

minitofu

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi. I actually had 2 cockatiels but one flew away recently. I tried to find it but to no avail. Hence I bought another cockatiel to keep him accompany . But I put the new cockatiel into the cage together with my other cockatiel. The new cockatiel is a female and the old one is a male. I have researched that a new cockatiel should be quarantined and after that placed into a cage beside the cage of my other cockatiel. But on the day that I bought the new cockatiel ,I put it in together with my other cockatiel. I wanted to buy another cage for my cockatiel but my parents do not allow so I had to put both together. May I know if is it possible for them to still get to know each other and will it be healthy for them ? It has been one day already but I tried to feed the new cockatiel but she won't go near the male cockatiel and she won't eat as well . Thank you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How did your Cockatiel have access to the outside? Please correct that issue before your current birds are allowed to fly outside the cage.

One never puts a new bird in a cage with the current bird. This is a recipe for disaster. First of all you need to quarantine for at least 30 days. That means the new bird is in its own cage and in a separate room. Birds can carry many viruses and diseases and spread them to other birds. Of course your new female wont eat. She is in a strange cage with another bird she has never seen. Please give her a separate cage to herself ASAP

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Make sure she can get to the food and water. A separate cage would be best but try to make sure the male isn't keeping her from getting to the food. And are you feeding her the same type of food she had before?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She’s probably is too scared to eat, since everything is so new. If you absolutely can’t get her a separate cage, make sure your male doesn’t pick on her, and put several food and water bowls around so she can use them without the male shooing her away. Are you feeding her the same thing she was eating before you got her? How old is she? How big is this cage they are in?