• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prayers needed for Tandoori

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
.....already.....

Since Tandoori Masala has a motor disability and can't control her body the way the average gecko can, the smallest and most inane objects can become lethal to her. I thought I did a decent job arranging her enclosure with safety in mind, but I underestimated the severity of her condition.

I didn't think anything of giving her a shallow water dish with a bare half-inch of water; she needs water, needs to be able to drink and soak, and I figured the dish was low enough that she wouldn't have too much trouble getting in and out. I even put ramps on all sides, just in case.

But this morning, I found Tandoori stuck halfway in the bowl, her mouth and nostrils fully submerged beneath the water and her eyes shut.

When I pulled her out she was totally limp, but when I quickly did CPR on her she responded and expelled a huge amount of water from her lungs.

She's been at the vet since, but with how cold and listless and weak she was, I can only imagine how long she struggled to get out before she started to drown. The risks of aspiration pneumonia, of her body losing the fight, of hypothermia, are very real and extremely terrifying. All I can do now is wait and hope.

I'm cursed. I must be. I'm a damn failure to every animal who lives with me.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel

That's not true at all. Any animal is lucky to have you - you just seem to have superbly bad luck.

When I was in college, I worked a pet store and would bring home injured/ill/disabled animals. Many of them wouldn't make it, despite my best efforts, and I beat myself up every single time. I still wonder what else I could have done.

Sometimes, our best isn't enough - but that doesn't mean we've failed, or that we shouldn't try again.

*hugs* I hope Tandoori pulls through!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh my you are having a terrible run of luck :( You are not cursed. You have a giant heart and take in the ones that would otherwise just suffer, and unfortunately that sometimes leads to a lot of heartache :(

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
Prayers for both of you. You have a good heart and without you Tandoori wouldn’t have been saved. The way I see it, you are an angel. Don’t be so hard on yourself. :pinksmile:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's not true at all. Any animal is lucky to have you - you just seem to have superbly bad luck.

When I was in college, I worked a pet store and would bring home injured/ill/disabled animals. Many of them wouldn't make it, despite my best efforts, and I beat myself up every single time. I still wonder what else I could have done.

Sometimes, our best isn't enough - but that doesn't mean we've failed, or that we shouldn't try again.

*hugs* I hope Tandoori pulls through!
Oh my you are having a terrible run of luck :( You are not cursed. You have a giant heart and take in the ones that would otherwise just suffer, and unfortunately that sometimes leads to a lot of heartache :(
Prayers for both of you. You have a good heart and without you Tandoori wouldn’t have been saved. The way I see it, you are an angel. Don’t be so hard on yourself. :pinksmile:
Thank you, guys.

I know in my head that bringing in disabled and ill pets is allowing for the inevitability of tragedy, but my heart has a harder time coming to grips with it.

I'm so broken down and defeated right now. Losing Sam and Darwin when they've been with me for so many years is world-shattering, and the very real possibility of losing Tandoori after having her for such a short amount of time is like the final nail in the coffin. It may not have directly been my fault, but it still feels like I didn't do enough. One mistake may have been enough to cost her her life. :sad11:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She didn't make it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no :( I am so sorry for you both!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm so sorry :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear that.

You gave Tandoori a loving home and tried to anticipate her needs. It sounds like any way of providing water to her could have caused her harm - and, as you say, you had to at least try because letting her become dehydrated or not letting her soak would have been just as deleterious to her health.

Thank you for taking in and loving these animals.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:crycry2::sorrow:
Ohhhh but you gave her the best chance for a happy life & she just was not long for this world but least you both shared some dear time together & enriched each others lives...Its all we can ask for is someone to love us & be with us thru the thick & thin....

:sadhug2:

Reactions: tka

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you, guys.

I know in my head that bringing in disabled and ill pets is allowing for the inevitability of tragedy, but my heart has a harder time coming to grips with it.

I'm so broken down and defeated right now. Losing Sam and Darwin when they've been with me for so many years is world-shattering, and the very real possibility of losing Tandoori after having her for such a short amount of time is like the final nail in the coffin. It may not have directly been my fault, but it still feels like I didn't do enough. One mistake may have been enough to cost her her life. :sad11:
But, you took them in when they needed a soft place to land and you loved them with all your heart. I'm sorry for your loss of Tandoori.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
You're not cursed, when you bring disabled animals into your life that's part of the possibility; you can't think of everything. No one can. You have so much room in your heart to keep as many animals as you do, and you keep them very well from what I can see. Don't blame yourself for giving these special souls a soft place to land, even if it's brief, their lives are far improved by the comfort and care you give them.
Mistakes happen, and like you said, you'd done everything that you could think of to provide for her. You gave her a lot more than mot people would.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
:sadhug2:

Reactions: tka