• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possibly aggressive?

Belbasaur

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Izabella Kemper
I recently got a budgie, and I have had a green cheek conure for a bit longer. I have tried introducing them outside of their cages (after a few months of being in the same room, just seperated in their cages), but it went very wrong, which is almost always the case for introducing new pets. But the budgie's behavior was strange. I thought she was being aggressive, but now I'm not so sure. She kept running towards my green cheek without her beak open, just running over and looking at her super close. My green cheek kept running away and getting really stressed, and eventually chased her away with an open beak, and I was finally able to get my budgie back in her cage (she just kept hopping off the perch and going towards my green cheek). I'm not really sure what was going on? Was she just curious? Or threatening my other bird?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How many dark hours does the budgie get?
Open mouth charging is aggression. Your little budgie either feels threatened directly by the much larger conure, or feels the conure is a threat to her resources (food for any future babies typically). The best form of defence is offence.

It not always easy to introduce two such dissimilar birds. Reduce daylight to 11 hours per day for the budgie and try the introductions again in a couple of weeks.