• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible new addition...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Crate training is awesome! I actually have to hide my dogs enclosure and my past dog and cat were the same.... if they can see their crate or enclosure they voluntarily go in there to rest. All my pets have loved their crates or pens. If it’s used for punishment and the animal never has any freedom from being inside it then it’s cruel but used correctly they are a safe area for well trained pets.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you’re getting your pup from a breeder it should be fully vaccinated before going home with you? That’s the only way I’ve ever known and heard of breeders parting with their pups.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
If you’re getting your pup from a breeder it should be fully vaccinated before going home with you? That’s the only way I’ve ever known and heard of breeders parting with their pups.
A good breeder should yes. It depends on what age the breeder allows the puppy to go at, which should be at least eight-nine weeks

BirdWorld

Yes, he will be. He will not be microchipped or neutered yet though, and I don't really want to chip, I've heard it can be unsafe in some cases.

@ParrotNuts, only two days now! :birdance:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@BirdWorld What's unsafe about microchipping? My pets are microchipped. :confused:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When they go home at 8 weeks they're usually started on their series of puppy shots but not fully vaccinated. Puppies have a series of shots every few weeks with the last of the puppy shots completed right about 4 months old.

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
I've always used crates in the past, and I've never had a problem. Just be careful to remove your pup's collar before putting him in to prevent any unfortunate accidents (the internet is full of them). My neighbor used a playpen with her two puppies and they loved it, but the owner did not! They made quite the mess, and sometimes broke out of the playpen. As long as the crate is the proper size and is of good quality (beware of the chewers!) it should be fine. Good luck in your quest for the perfect pooch! :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When they go home at 8 weeks they're usually started on their series of puppy shots but not fully vaccinated. Puppies have a series of shots every few weeks with the last of the puppy shots completed right about 4 months old.
Yep, I believe our iggy still needed one more series of shots when we got him at 12 weeks.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, he will be. He will not be microchipped or neutered yet though, and I don't really want to chip, I've heard it can be unsafe in some cases.

@ParrotNuts, only two days now! :birdance:
Definitely safer for your pup if they’re microchipped. Serious issues are reportedly rare. Ours are all chipped.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
All three of my dogs are chipped. Never had any health issues related to the chips. They also have name tags on their collars, but the microchip gives me peace of mind. I don't want any of them to get lost in the shelter system. We don't have kill shelters around here, but lost dogs are only held for 72 hours before they are put up for adoption.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I am hugely pro-microchipping and have actually chipped dogs myself. It’s only a little harder than giving vaccines, the chip looks like a mechanized grain of rice and it’s administered via a needle with a plunger. When I was trained on how to do it, they explained ways it can go wrong, but also how to avoid those outcomes. For me personally it is a risk/reward calculation and for a dog, I feel the risks are low enough and the peace of mind it provides is enormous.

I’ve also quickly and easily reunited 6 lost dogs and counting that I’ve found running loose. If they slip their collar and escape, you can still scan the chip and find the owner’s info. Without any kind of starting point, you’re relying entirely on luck that the person who lost the dog thinks to check the places where you think to put up lost dog info, both online and irl.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
ITS SATURDAY ITS SATURDAY ITS SATURDAY YAAAAAAAYYYY :bliss::bounce4::cheer::loveshower::excited1::happydance::flowgdnc::birdance::birdance::birdance: Am I overreacting?

BirdWorld

Soooooo we just got back!!! We ended up deciding not to see the Cavapoochon, but we met the havanese. Four of the five were already adopted, but we met the last one, and got to play with for a while. This is her: 64CE01C9-B139-40DA-9C62-6AE315E29038.jpeg
She was just the absolute sweetest little thing ever. I just fell in love with her immediately. She was so calm and sweet. We didn’t get her though yet. My parents wanted to think about it first, as we originally wanted to get a male, and she is a little bit expensive at 3,800 dollars, but we will make our final decision soon and come back tomorrow or the next day. My mom didn’t really seem to be very allergic, so that’s a good thing. The puppy is very little, no more than three or four pounds, but she is still very young at eight weeks. I have said this already (twice?) but she is just sooooo sweet and adorable. :faint:

BirdWorld

I do have another question though. My mom doesn’t seem to be allergic to the puppy, but does bathing the dog have anything to do with how muh dander it has? Meaning if the dog has recently been bathed is she less likely to develop allergies from it? Thanks :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
She's so cute! Great picture. :)

No idea about the bathing.