• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible new addition...

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@fluffypoptarts I like purebred dogs & am glad to hear yours are healthy! Sorry people are picking on you about them. There are very valid reasons to choose one, like predictability. Given the dearth of landraces available, I would probably get one myself, if I were getting a dog.

There are consequences to a continual loss of genetic diversity, in any population of any species though. Consequences that are irrevocably tied to health. To quote one of my favourite childhood series, "You can't fool Old Mother Nature, and it's of no use to try."

I don't want to hijack this thread & am looking forward to puppy pictures. That is all I will say on the topic.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
To me, be a dog a purebred, crossbred or landrace, they are all equally valuable. A dog is a dog - the same species. It is only us humans that attribute worth to some creatures & not others.
Absolutely! They all deserve a loving home.
Looking forward to pictures... :)
You’ll have to wait four days still ;)

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I have 2 maltese shih Tzus and they love their crate it helped with potty time and playtime and nap time when they were little and to keep them out of trouble when we weren't home, once I though they were ready to be left alone out and my books were shreaded to bits lol. I still keep their crates out and they go in it to take naps during the day or if they feel scared which is rare.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
I have two tips for you, @BirdWorld.

1. Someone else on this thread said it already, but definitely get the dog used to his/her paws being touched and buzzing noises next to his/her face. We have a mini poodle that doesn't like grooming, and it is a nightmare trying to trim the fur around her face, paws, and sensitive areas, and nail trimming is even worse. Definitely get the pup used to it.

2. Socialize him/her properly. If you can, take him/her to parks(not necessarily dog parks), on walks in reasonably busy areas, into dog-friendly stores, etc. Get him/her used to being around strangers, other dogs, in weird new places, and new situations. Because of where we lived at the time, it was hard to do this with ours, and she isn't super good with busy places and situations different from what she's used to. Also, invite different people over to play with the puppy, so he/she gets used to strangers coming into the house.

BirdWorld

1. Someone else on this thread said it already, but definitely get the dog used to his/her paws being touched and buzzing noises next to his/her face. We have a mini poodle that doesn't like grooming, and it is a nightmare trying to trim the fur around her face, paws, and sensitive areas, and nail trimming is even worse. Definitely get the pup used to it.

2. Socialize him/her properly. If you can, take him/her to parks(not necessarily dog parks), on walks in reasonably busy areas, into dog-friendly stores, etc. Get him/her used to being around strangers, other dogs, in weird new places, and new situations. Because of where we lived at the time, it was hard to do this with ours, and she isn't super good with busy places and situations different from what she's used to. Also, invite different people over to play with the puppy, so he/she gets used to strangers coming into the house.
Yes, I’m already planning on doing all these things.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB

Make sure puppy is fully vaccinated before doing the second one.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
He can be around humans before he’s vaccinated, can’t he? I thought it only wasn’t safe for him to be with other dogs, or in places where they go often :confused:
Parvo is what you'll be vaccinated against correct? Parvo lives on the ground and can be carried by other dogs and on the shoes of people. You can have people at your house, but it'd be wise to ask them to leave their shoes outside. I wouldn't risk taking him anywhere outside your home till his vaccinations are done.