• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poi Toys

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Hi,
I have a 9 or 10 yr old female Meyers named Jasper. She’s been with me almost three years. I’ve never had a poicephalus befire and their personality is very different from a South American parrot.

Jasper likes to make weird noises and chew up pine wood and cardboard. She loves bird bagels and wicker wreaths. But I don’t know what else she might like.

What do your poi’s like to do or what toys do they like? I understand the need to chew but what else?

32627D37-31FE-4C21-838B-EB47EEE02FD9.jpeg E9865FAB-CDDB-41D2-9FB0-17BCC5E4FFFF.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley mostly likes pine except when he's nesty, then he likes to shred catalogs and paper pulp egg cartons.

He loves to forage, so most of his toys are either pine based or Foraging related.

He also likes small wooden beads, balsa, cork bark, preening sisal, and corn husk puffs.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Ok. I don’t give jasper egg cartons because sometimes they get splashes of eggs on them. But I do give her giant toys meant for amazons and macaws and they keep her busy. Cleaned pinecones get each petal chewed off. And jasper has a huge assortment of beeps and whistles that I imitate to keep her happy,

I was wondering if they like any particular foot toys. I’ve never heard her ring a bell; but she can be noisy if I’ve got the other bird out.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Foraging toys? Can you give an example?

cmor

Moving in
Real Name
Christine
My Meyers loves balsa, cork and sola toys but she goes through them very quickly. It takes her longer to go through pine and some days she won’t touch those toys. I guess they’re not as satisfying for her since they’re more difficult to destroy. She also loves leather toys which are harder for me to find but they do last a while.

There’s A straw toy from super bird creations that I always repurchase because she enjoys that.

She won’t touch vine or grass toys.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I sanitize egg cartons with F10 first before giving. You can also buy egg cartons new :)

As for foraging toys, I have a lot of Caitec Creative Foraging System toys.

Some examples: Foraging Toy Reviews

Some others he really likes:

Ripley isn't really into foot toys.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Oh, excellent links!! Thank you!!
I have sola balls and I have strips of palm leaf. My problem is that she doesn’t go to the cage bottom much so I bought these balls and now I’m not sure what to do with them. Maybe put in her extra dish (until she drops them and they’re gone forever).

I bought shelled nuts for BeaksMass but they’re not figuring them out. I thought they’d enjoy prying nutmeat out of a broken open shell, but not really.

I should string some heavy pinecones and let her shred them.

I will look through my toy stash and see if I’ve got any leather-decorated toys that past birds did not like.

I guess poi are medium sized chewy birds, not little fidgety weavy birds like Quakers and small conures.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I have a couple toy successes to report.

Jasper likes heavy cardboard bird bagels. Also, I ordered some small items via eBay. They came in a small heavy cardboard box. Jasper really enjoys chewing both those things up.
Jasper is doing really well and we have had a shift in the last few months. She is much friendlier and less reactive/ bitey. She permits me to handle her more casually now- I don’t have to be so careful though I do need to not pick up something else when she’s on my hand.

Willow Quaker is also becoming more demanding and outgoing. He is getting into trouble instead of being scared of everything. Yay!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yes cardboard boxes are Ripley's favorite...but they make him super hormonal so I have to be careful lol

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
She’s not climbing inside them. Although I suppose shredding could be stimulating and she is a pretty barfy bird. (I mean she is regurgy with affection.)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes with boxes, if he can get in them it's the worst lol. But shredding turns into plastering the cage with regurgitate :lol:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Oh yuck. Well, if she starts that then boxes go out. Right now it’s folded flat so she can’t crawl inside.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fingers crossed! :) I still give them occasionally to him just because he likes them so much and it keep him from terrorizing my toddler :lol:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Well, I just received an order from Chewy (because I needed multiple bird foods as well) and now I have a toy that someone from Reddit recommended. They said their poi really likes it. (Willow Quaker is hiding from the toy on the other side of my shoulder.) 81FD4DCE-7E0E-4DA1-A427-0B02BD3F0BA9.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does Jasper have a swing? My Pois love swings although it depends on the swing.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Nope, she doesn’t, but I do have a swing that should fit her in her dresser.
She really likes the new toy with the wood and woven straw wafers. I would like to buy that popsicle toy for her too. But I had a bunch of food to buy this month.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Jasper has really munched the wood and straw wager toy. But today we watched funny parrot YouTube videos and she was SPELLBOUND.

I was visiting with Willow first and opened my YouTube page. Bird videos popped up and I watched them with Willow and got him very engaged and rather loud. He got pretty excited and I put him back in his cage to cool down. Otherwise I was going to get bit and he needed to beat up a toy or something.

I rewatched a bird video with Jasper and then watched some different funny bird videos with talking parrots. Jasper was fascinated and sat and watched videos for maybe 40 minutes. She was completely mesmerized, eye pinning, etc though she didn’t talk back to the birds.

Both birds reached out to grab the birds on screen. They loved it! And Jasper normally gets bored quickly and starts pinching. So 30-40 min of bird social tv was a huge change.

Maybe this will get Willow talking and give them both some bird ‘company’.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Jasper and I watched bird tv and some cartoons while she got her scritches this evening. She really enjoys the ringnecks with the clear high voices and the red beaks.

She sat and watched with me and we talked back to the bird on the screen. She also beaked and tongued the screen a bit. I don’t want her to learn how to turn off sites so I didn’t encourage that. But I wonder if I could get parrot YouTube videos to display grid-style so she could choose her preference?

My notebook computer has a touchscreen too so we could try something bigger than a phone. As does the old tablet.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Both birds continue to enjoy bird videos and jasper also likes cartoons. She sits and focuses without making bored antsy movements; she’s spellbound by brightly colored parrots.

i have been putting the wood blocks from her toys into her extra food dish when they fall down. Today I discovered Sola balls that I ordered months ago. So that’s in the food dish/ toy box, too.