• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please read, please share

UCY

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys i wasnt sure where this thread should fall under..

i had a male cockatoo, Yuki, passed away at 3 years old just yesterday on 15 September 2021.

he represented symptoms of Transient Ischemic Attack( TIA ). This attack started on 14August 2020. His symptoms, everything they’re in the attached files below, so as to how a TIA would look like when your bird experiences them. The obvious symptom would be his leg bending inwards and the fact that he wont respond to you.

recently, the past month, he was experienced something else. I wasnt sure if it was related. Whenever he flapped his wings out of excitement, he somehow felt giddy.. it wasnt as bad the first time. But then it got worst. After flapping his wing and screaming of excitement, he felt giddy and rocked back and forth as if he’s about to fall but we were there to hold him just in case he did. He was panting too.

On 15 September, he did it again, for the fourth time. Know that when we noticed he felt giddy the first time, i tried to discouraged him from flapping his wings out of excitement but its his nature.Its always out of the blue. So when he attempted to flap his wings, we would quickly close it and pat him down, calm him down. So when he did it the fourth time, we were too late. It got so bad.

and somehow he died from this. I can’tseem to find any explanation. Maybe he went into tachycardia when his heart shot up too fast after flapping his wings. Im really not sure.. maybe someone could give me an insight as to why this could possibly caused his death?

im also here hoping to warn readers to please go to the vet immediately when you noticed something is wrong no matter what the internet said. I saw people mentioned that they had parrots with TIA, went to the vet and the vet told them theres nothing to be done but to wait it out so please, no matter what, give your baby birds the help they need or just a regular checkup would be great too.

all of us built out lives around him. He was basically what kept us together. Maybe in some other perspective, it was a good thing he don’t have to experience such pain anymore.. but still feel like he was taken away too soon..

Attachments

Last edited:

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
So sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Reactions: UCY

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry for your loss.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry honey..maybe it was genetic issue?

UCY

Meeting neighbors
Pos
I'm so sorry honey..maybe it was genetic issue?
Possibly.. but knowing that a cockatoo have almost the same lifespan as humans, its kinda upsetting that he was taken at such young age..

UCY

Meeting neighbors
My mom is grieving real badly. I’ve seen our previous pets passed but never seen her break this bad with our yuki’s passing.

I am wondering, would it be wise to get a pair of sibling cockatoo? Not to replace yuki because he’ll always be a part of us. But i have come to realised that yuki made great companionship despite his crankiness he would put a smile on sad faces. And i had hoped maybe, just maybe, these cockatoos would aid in her grief. Would it be a bad idea to adopt them cockatoos?

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
My heart breaks along with your family... Oh, precious baby...

Wonder if the vet thinks it is a genetic issue... so then I would hesitate to get a genetically related sibling... Could have the same results in the future...
I had never heard of a TIA in birds... learning something new here on the Avenue...
Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m very sorry for your loss

UCY

Meeting neighbors
Thank you @Zara :)

@Pat H me either i mean who knew this cld happen to a bird.. here i came across this back then

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.