• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please just respond if you have answers!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Poultry hatching eggs are pretty commonly shipped by commercial hatcheries and private breeders. And as long as the eggs are collected quickly and shipped fast (and safely packaged), you can get a decent hatch rate. If you want to incubate your own eggs, chickens, ducks, quail, and other birds that have precocious young are ideal. The newly hatched chicks are able to open their eyes, stand up, walk, and feed/water themselves with 24 hours of hatching. They require very little parental care, compared to parrot chicks.

You can even ship day-old poultry chicks in the mail! It is pretty amazing.

Unfortunately, it is not possible (or at least very ill-advised) to do the same thing with parrot eggs or new hatchlings. The eggs are more delicate and need to be incubated much faster - parrots do not delay incubation like chickens, so the shipping window is quite narrow. The eggs require special incubation conditions that vary by species. Most standard incubators are designed for chickens and poultry. They are NOT calibrated to provide the optimal conditions for parrot eggs, so your hatch rate will be quite low. And parrots hatch at a much earlier developmental stage than poultry chicks. They are completely dependent on their parents for weeks and will not be able to feed on their own until they wean which usually at least a month but can be over half a year for some species (or especially persistent individuals).

It is also important to realize that most "hand-raised" baby parrots are NOT raised by hand from the egg. They are NOT hatched from an incubator. They are hatched and raised by their actual parents for several weeks, then removed from the nest for hand-feedings for a period of time prior to weaning. If a parrot chick is raised by hand from a very early age it is usually because something goes horribly wrong - the chick is thrown out of the nest or attacked by one or both parents, the parents are dead, the chick isn't fed enough and fails to thrive, etc. At that point, the chick will die if you do nothing, so hand-feeding is the only option. Not the best option - just better than the alternative. If at all possible, you WANT the parents to do the initial raising for the best outcome. Pulling chicks too early deprives them of the best care - it leads to more dead chicks, not more tame parrots. Nobody wants that.

Some breeders practice "co-parenting" instead of pulling the chicks from the nest completely, if the parents are cooperative. This involves taking the babies out for feedings a few times a day, but returning them to the nest afterwards and allowing the parents to continue to feed and interact with the babies. It is also quite possible to socialize baby parrots to be hand-tame and comfortable with being handled by humans while allowing them to be fully parent-raised. This just requires time and careful handling to ensure the interactions are positive.

The big advantage with hand-feeding is that it associates a very good thing (food) with people, so if you hand-feed correctly, the babies will be comfortable and happy to be picked up and not afraid of people by the time they are weaned.

But that doesn't mean all hand-fed babies are automatically tame or not afraid of hands. Poor technique or rough handling can frighten or injure the fragile babies, leading to fear or aversion from human contact, despite being "hand-raised". You could end up with a baby parrot that isn't scared of people, but is terrified of hands. Not surprisingly, this will sometimes result in a bird with a major biting problem.

At any rate, I don't recommend intentionally hatching parrot eggs without parental involvement. They just don't work like that.

Parrots are not poultry. Parrots need parents.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
I know you’re probably disappointed destiny but I’m sorry hatching parakeet eggs after being shipped just isn’t a good idea.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Baby birds are adorable and amazing beings! But adult birds are just as cute and amazing! I really encourage you to just get a young adult.
Also, weaned babies are still babies. Not brand new, straight from the egg, naked babies ... but they are not adults yet.

A weaned baby will be fully feathered and able to regulate its own temperature, so you don't need a brooder. Its eyes will be open and it will be able to walk, chirp, and hold up its head. It will be able to eat solid foods and drink water. It will even be able to fly in most cases.

But a weaned baby is still brand new to the world and full of curiosity and baby energy. Ready to meet the world, have adventures, and make new friends.

They are the best babies. :heart:

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
soo my cousin wants 4 chickens and 4 ducks... she said, well if you have an incubator maybe you could do them for me! so now that is what im hatching. should they ssurvive shipping?

Jogging around the block
soo my cousin wants 4 chickens and 4 ducks... she said, well if you have an incubator maybe you could do them for me! so now that is what im hatching. should they ssurvive shipping?
Are they live chicks or eggs?
I've heard carefully packaged eggs are usually quite good in hatch rate but I haven't found much about shipping live chicks so I don't know

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If you're getting live chickens shipped to you be sure you call the post office and ask them to notify you right away once they get delivered so you can pick them up. They shouldn't be delivered right to your house because most of the time they sit in the truck for hours while the mailman goes house to house, they end up falling in the back of the truck, etc

And you have to pick them up as soon as they're delivered to the post office so they have a better chance at surviving.
(That goes for live chicks and eggs, I've never heard of anyone shipping eggs though)

This is a really long video but it's super helpful.

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
If you get them from A good breeder who knows how to pack eggs to ship, most of them should be ok. If you mean that you are going to hatch eggs, make sure you get way more eggs than you want to hatch. Not all eggs will hatch, and with shipped eggs usually only about 50% of them will hatch. Especially if it’s your first time hatching. So many different things can go wrong with hatching eggs artificially, so it’s best to get more than you think.
Edit: And there’s a good chance that at least half of them are boys that you won’t want to keep.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Please do your research on each website and ask your parents for help on researching, there are so many scams out there

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Just be sure that you have a plan for any spares.

I have hatched chukar partridges from fertile eggs (bought from a nice lady on eBay) and had the majority of them survive to adulthood. My hatch rate was over 75% even though I had to build my own incubator to hold all the extra eggs - I had a little automatic incubator ready to go, but the lady sent me way too many extras and they didn't all fit. It only had slots for a dozen eggs and I got 16! One was cracked, but I didn't want to just throw out three perfectly good eggs, so I made my own incubator using lightbulb, wet rag, and an old styrofoam cooler, hand turning the eggs myself. Hatch rate was about even between the two setups, remarkably. Only three duds out of 15 eggs. Fortunately, I had space for a dozen birds on my farm so it was not an issue at all after they hatched.

Another thing to consider is gender distribution. Does your friend want boys or girls? Or does it not matter? Most people want all or mostly girls for egg-production. It doesn't matter as much if you are keeping them for meat for various reasons. As pets, it can make a difference, especially if you live in town, because many towns have rules against keeping roosters due to noise.

When you hatch from eggs, you will get a random mix. Could be all girls, sll boys, 50/50 split, who knows? To get 4 girls of each type, you will likely need twice as many chicks. And a plan for what to do with the boys or any "extra" girls.

Last edited:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Please do your research on each website and ask your parents for help on researching, there are so many scams out there
For parrot eggs, yes absolutely. They are pretty much all scams.

For chicken/duck eggs, not much of a problem unless you are trying to find a super rare or exotic breed. There are some scammers out there, of course, since the internet is the internet, but there are plenty of reputable sites, both private sellers and commercial hatcheries, that will ship hatching eggs or day old chicks.

The trickier part is finding small volumes. Most commercial poultry hatcheries want to sell chicks in bulk, both to offset costs and to increase survival rates for the live birds - larger shipments are better at maintaining consistent temperature so you are more likely to have everyone arrive safely. Small shipments are more likely to get in trouble, because the chicks won't be able to keep each other warm enough. Many hatcheries have high minimum orders for this reason.

For hatching eggs, the temperature is not an issue, but they are rarely sold individually. Mostly, I see them sold as a dozen or more from hatcheries. Smaller quantities are possible, but more common from smaller hatcheries or private sellers.

If you only want to hatch a few eggs, you could always order more eggs than you need and only incubate as many as you can handle. Keep in mind that fertile eggs will not stay viable forever. Hatch rate after one week is reduced. After two weeks it approaches zero, even if eggs are stored under ideal conditions. You can't really "save" any as back-ups. But you can eat unincubated hatching eggs, if you wish, so any extras don't go to waste completely.

Incubate more than you NEED, in case you have some duds, but not more than you can handle if they all hatch successfully.

Last edited: