• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
I was cutting my ekkie's nails and he moved and i cut to far and NOW HE IS BLEEDING!! Immediately i used cornstarch to stop the bleeding. He lost a decent amount of blood. Now he is fluffed up and seems to be in shock. Is he going to be okay in a couple hours? What if it starts bleeding at night when I am sleeping? Should i take him to the vet? PLease help i really love and i dont want to lose him. :confused::confused::(:(:(:(:(ALL HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!:heart::heart::hug8::hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ok, breathe....
How much blood is a 'decent amount'? Can you be a little more specific. :hug8:

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
about 2/4 of an ounce hes on m shoulder and seems to be okay......but im still very worried and i did calm down lol

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
You did the right thing using cornstarch. If it has stopped bleeding then just monitor him to make sure it does not start up again. It should start to coagulate since y ou put the cornstarch. You might want to get up in the night to check up on him. If is starts bleeding during the night then I would suggest to take him in first thing in the morning if possible. Also when putting the cornstarch you need to apply pressure to the nail to stop the bleeding. I have had injuries where the whole nail ripped off and there was a lot of blood, I got to him after it was all over, poor guy, it had already stopped bleeding on its own and he was very weak as well, I put him in a small cage to rest and the next day he was eating and perky. Just keep him calm and monitor. Keep us posted.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Take a Deep breath,Now if He is calm and NOT Bleeding anymore-just relax with Him,keep him warm and calm. Keep Him warm and calm long enough to know that the bleeding will not start up again.Do You have cayenne powder?:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You handled that very well. I was also going to suggest using some cayenne pepper. It will help with any stinging or pain he might have. Have it ready in case he starts bleeding during the night. if you don't have any then have the cornstarch at the ready. :hug8:

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
he seems quieter than usual and is not acting like the usual loud and funny guy that he is. No i dont have cayyene powder

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
I'm sure he will be just fine. Good job on the cornstarch. :) Big hugs to your baby. :hug8:

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
he's still very quiet, should i put him on top of his cage or will that hurt his feet? :confused::confused:still very worried:(:(:(:(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Great advice already given. Also Make sure he receives protein and water for blood and nutrient loss.:hug8 When Opa lost a lot of blood last year, and I mean it was a significant amount, I gave him handfeeding formula with red palm oil and handfeed lots of it (slightly watery like pea soup) as they need lots of water, and some proteins to help recover blood loss. My avian vet says when no infection is involved, they retain their blood fairly quickly over just several days. Just watch your fiddo, and seek avian vet help as necessary.:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It depends. I think we have had a few posts here on AA with the same question. Sometimes my birds feet are hot, other times cool/air temp. I can't comfortably answer why they get hot or cold feet. Maybe a way of regulating body heat?

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
He may be sensing your stress even though you're 'calm' Ekkies are very perceptive. Where is his most comfortable place, that's where I would put him. He will let you know if he is uncomfortable by either holding his foot up or not gripping the perch as usual or beaking the toe.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How about a small amount of Karo syrup or plain pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water? The first, gives him a bit of sugar for energy, the latter replaces electrolytes. Good if he is suffering from a bit of shock. I agree with checking on him a couple times in the night, just to be sure.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I know when I had blood taken from me, I'm tired and exhausted, non talkative. He's probably tired.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
About the feet...birds lose heat through their feet so because of the stress he's just been through they can be a little warm. Also if he was sitting on you for awhile he may have gotten some of your heat which is also normal. You'll notice if you pick him up right after a nap his feet will be warm.

Tonight when you check on him use a dim light or night light. I have often carefully covered a lamp shade with a cloth (don't let it touch the bulb) so I could do my checking without too much disturbing.

Ekkieluva

Meeting neighbors
Just wanna let u guys kno THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME AND IT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! Thank u so much:):):heart::heart::heart::heart::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::heart::hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
He is quiet because any amount of blood loss can put him into a degree of shock.Keep a close Eye on him,I would not want him to be climbing all over the cage,So maybe give him some food and water(with a bit of Karo or pedylite in it-then put him on his sleep perch for nite-nite:hug8:Keep Us Posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.