• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help me I need a cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmwsho

Moving in
Real Name
Schalaunda
I think my original post was misunderstood. I HAVE MONEY TO PURCHASE a cage at a reasonable price. I posted my request only to ask if any fellow bird owner has a cage they are nolonger using that they would like to sell. I have done my research on this species of bird and I am aware of the financial reponsiblity that I am facing with this type of bird. I am looking for a used cage at a fair price that will fit THE BIRDS needs. I am taking the very very good advice from the rescue group as they know more about this particular bird and what is best for HIM. I have found a couple cages on craigslist that I am looking at but I do thank you all for the information and advice but I think I am off to a good start with the advice from the group that he will be coming from. thank you and have a good day.

Ok i am new to the site as I posted yesterday. I am adopting a U2 and I dont have a cage for him. I am desperate to find one as I cant bring him home until I have a cage. I am adopting him from a rescue and the cage he is being surrendered with just is not the right cage for him. I can pay something for the cage but with the holidays here I dont have the hundreds that the pet stores would ask. If you have a used cage that is no longer needed I would be forever thankfull. I dont know what else to do, I can't bring my baby home until I have a cage for him. Please let me know if you can help or have any ideas of where I can get one I would appreciate it so much.
Thank you to all for reading my request for help.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I'm not sure where you are at, but you might try Craigslist. I bought a couple of really nice cages that were reasonably priced.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Can you use the cage he was surrendered in for now? It may even help the transition if he has the familiar cage. Then, you could save your money and if/when you decide to officially adopt him, you could get a bigger/nicer cage then.

tmwsho

Moving in
Real Name
Schalaunda
As much as I would like to, the cage he is in is 7 ft tall and I am only 5'6" and he is dominate so he cant be taller than me. So I am fearfull that if he is taller than me he could attack.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
I'd also suggest craigslist.

Quiverful

Real Name
Dawn
As much as I would like to, the cage he is in is 7 ft tall and I am only 5'6" and he is dominate so he cant be taller than me. So I am fearfull that if he is taller than me he could attack.

Does he have a history of aggression issues? The height thing may not be a problem. I have an 18 year old Moluccan that I got last year. His cage is a lot taller than me and I have never had any problems with aggression at all.

You can also place the perches lower in the cage. Sure, he'll be able to climb the actual cage but he wouldn't be able to perch higher than you.

Does the rescue have any cages in storage that they can use for foster birds?

tmwsho

Moving in
Real Name
Schalaunda
Yes he does have aggression issues and he is at his sexuall peak. The rescue that I am getting him from is very full at the moment so they don't have any spare cages at this time but the wonderfull lady that I am working with is also trying to help me find a cage. I thank you for the feedback. I wish it was possible to use his cage but I dont want to transfer any bad habbits that he has to his new home. I really really want things to work out for the best and I am taking the advice of the rescue lady and she has told me that his cage deffanetly wont work. Thank you again

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
some times members of your local bird club have spare cages

Fommy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
I want to say this as as respectful as I can.
I understand the cage issue and the dominate issue but are you experienced with aggressive toos? Especially one coming into sexual peak with harsh frustration added to this.
I am unexperienced with toos. but I do Know they are a very special responsibility.
How long have you worked with this Too in his environment as it is?
Don't get me wrong I think it is wonderful that you want to help.
I'm just asking cautious questions because of not knowing the situation.

tmwsho

Moving in
Real Name
Schalaunda
I am meeting him this week and I will be working with him for a while before bringing him home but I need to have a cage ready for him once he is here. I do have too experiance but I have never owned one. I currently own 2 Quakers. Thank you for being concerned.

Quiverful

Real Name
Dawn
Yes he does have aggression issues and he is at his sexuall peak. The rescue that I am getting him from is very full at the moment so they don't have any spare cages at this time but the wonderfull lady that I am working with is also trying to help me find a cage. I thank you for the feedback. I wish it was possible to use his cage but I dont want to transfer any bad habbits that he has to his new home. I really really want things to work out for the best and I am taking the advice of the rescue lady and she has told me that his cage deffanetly wont work. Thank you again

Ok, then you are right with wanting to start off on a good foot.

I think someone had mentioned CraigsList..I would look there and at any other online classifieds. You can also look in any local papers you have for ads for cages.

The rescue you are getting him from..do they work with any other rescue that might be able to help them out with a cage?

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I would try CL as well I got my U2's cage from there

Fommy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
Are you still going to take the cage he is currently living in or is the rescue keeping it? How big is the cage he is in?
You could maybe put a false top in it with plexi and clamps, to keep him below you.
until his aggression issues have been worked with.

ETA: thank you for understanding .

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The best thing to do is to NOT bring him home until YOU are 100% ready. He’ll need a new BIG cage, and playstands, and TOYS, and a healthy diet and food, and a vet check. If you cannot afford this, I would wait until AFTER the holidays until you bring him home.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I agree with Mercedez! This is not only a big emotional investment, but also a huge financial investment. The amount I spend on toys, food, pellets, treats etc is considerable. Dont' get me wrong, I wouldn't change it for the world, but you have to take all things into consideration to guarantee a good situation for you and the fid. Best of luck!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The best thing to do is to NOT bring him home until YOU are 100% ready. He’ll need a new BIG cage, and playstands, and TOYS, and a healthy diet and food, and a vet check. If you cannot afford this, I would wait until AFTER the holidays until you bring him home.
This is good advice. I would personally like to know how much time you have spent with this bird at the rescue??

As I stated to you yesterday. This bird is not like any bird you have ever had before. You said so yourself that he is aggressive and hormonal. Being only 5 years old those hormones are going to be very confusing and frustrating to him because things are not working or happening like they would in the wild and those feelings are new.

All birds like to be up high because that is where they feel the safest and have the best vantage point to keep and eye on what is going on. It has nothing to do with dominance and he will have those aggression issues no matter what height he is at.

I asked how much time you have spent with him because if you are not confident and don't present the proper body language from the very start he will know it. He will use it against you and "eat you up".

He "is" going to need the biggest cage you can possibly fit in your home and it sounds like they have a big cage for him already.

If he is above you on that cage I would suggest putting a stool of chair near there and getting on it so you are eye level with him. Instead of you trying to keep him off it, get up there with him.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I am the rescue that recommended the different cage and for many reasons. I did not think purchasing a cage that was more accomodating to adopt him was such a large ordeal. You can get a cage that is more sufficient for him for $200 on CL. I am not allowing him to leave here until everything is in place and she is doing a 90 day foster situation.
The cage he is in is 7 ft tall, and he does get on top of his cage regularly and intimidate, fly off and attack, etc. Not allowing him on the cage top will be an undertaking and I would like her to have a play top cage for him. The Play top cages will give him a better area to utilize for his activity level, along with his play stand. He is very active, and can be very dominating..he needs more rules and boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.