• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help me I need a cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i have spent this month alone over $400.00 on toys for mango why he didnt need toys but xmas is comming im going to be busy with cooking for seniors xmas dinner im in a small apt kitchen is in front room where he is with his tree parrot stand and cage , hes used to going out side and its winter here so another problem i made . so new toys
all hanging from celing as hes flighted in doing so im hopping with me busy hell be busy to , it took him only hrs to go in his jollyball so i know it wont take long for him with the others .
only reason im telling you this is wood is cheap veg die colors wood befor you bring the bird home make toys and be smart drill holes first then cut wood,,lol i didnt then die let dry . a small toy is $10.00 and can be distroyed in min $10.00 wood will last for months . just sugesting ok you have other birds to so they all will have a great time ,..lollol

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Okay, I have a question.
If the 2 was brought in with that cage, why can't the new owner use that cage to swap with someone for a different cage? Seems reasonable to me since it was turned in with the bird? Am I missing something?

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I would do that, but I have no cages that size for him. Nextly, if getting him a cage was such a hardship adopting probably is not the best idea. When I mentioned he needs a shorter cage there was no hesitation, now theres this post that she needs a cage? I am not happy we can just leave it at that!

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i might be able to help...im in mich...but i need to know a lil more...you can borrow a cage from the rescue during your foster time then you can save up for one...will you be able to fill it with toys....this is a very HARD bird to deal with..i have 2 U2s and a M2 they are very challenging birds...have you really thought it thru.....:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would do that, but I have no cages that size for him. Nextly, if getting him a cage was such a hardship adopting probably is not the best idea. When I mentioned he needs a shorter cage there was no hesitation, now theres this post that she needs a cage? I am not happy we can just leave it at that!
I understand your concern but if he "can" fly and does attack I seriously doubt that a lower cage will stop the attacks. He will just find a different high place to do it from once he's in her home.

The cage does not need to be as tall but it does need to be big.

He is not going to be easy for anyone to look after no matter what cage he lives in. An aggressive male U2 in the initial hormone stages is a nasty creature that's for sure. Hopefully he chooses to "like" her. It would sure help.

That's why I asked if she has actually handled him at this point.

tmwsho

Moving in
Real Name
Schalaunda
I do thank everyone for the advice and all is beingtaken into consideration but I feel that the rescuer knows what is the best situtation for him and she has given me the best advice for his particular needs. She has spent much time talking to the owners and knows his behaviors. I have found a few cages on craigslist that I am intrested in. And I feel the cages that I am looking at are going to be better for his needs as well as be large enough for him to be comfortable yet not allow him to take over and become unmanageable. I do thank everyone for there advice and help in finding him a cage that fits with him.
I hope that if I need any advice in the future everyone is as helpfull as you have all been. And a very special thanks to M.C Bird Rescue, she works very hard to be very informative and she cares very much for the birds she rescues.

tmwsho

Moving in
Real Name
Schalaunda
Ok I have just finished reading the posts that everyone shared since I posted my request for help and I think my request was misunderstood. I am not looking for a free cage and I DO have toys and I have been doing a TUN of research on this species of bird and I am aware of the financial resposibilty. I am NOT going into this blind. I was simply asking if anyone out there had a cage they were not using and wanted to get rid of. I figured if anywhere was a good place to start looking why not ask people that have birds. I know that i have a few dog cages laying around my house that I had used in the past that if someone was in need I would offer them one at a fair price. All I was saying in regards to the price is that PET STORES want way to much for a cage when I could find one used and cheaper that would work just as well. With christmas here and the fact that I do have kids to by for I didn't want to spend all my extra cash on a cage. I do have money to get a cage and I will be getting one from craigslist and I am sorry if I was misunderstood.

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
I am glad things are looking to be working out for you.
I just wanted to say one thing.

We have had our 4 yr old male U2 for over a month and I cannot begin to tell you how expensive it is to keep him in a constant supply of toys!

I knew ahead of time it would be expensive from reading others posts...but dang....we are buying toys every week plus Im making his toys!

Cockatoos can and will destroy toys in MINUTES and I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating to spend $15.00 on a toy only to have it destroyed 10 min. later!

If you are raising kids along with the normal household expenses please make sure you can afford a cockatoo. This includes not only a cage and the proper food but a well stocked supply of toys as well to keep his mind busy and stimulated.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Usually John and Mercedez says what I do, nothing really can prepare you. Just learn what you can and take the leap.

You are much luckier than most having your rescue person right here to work with and all us too!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am glad things are looking to be working out for you.
I just wanted to say one thing.

We have had our 4 yr old male U2 for over a month and I cannot begin to tell you how expensive it is to keep him in a constant supply of toys!

I knew ahead of time it would be expensive from reading others posts...but dang....we are buying toys every week plus Im making his toys!

Cockatoos can and will destroy toys in MINUTES and I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating to spend $15.00 on a toy only to have it destroyed 10 min. later!

If you are raising kids along with the normal household expenses please make sure you can afford a cockatoo. This includes not only a cage and the proper food but a well stocked supply of toys as well to keep his mind busy and stimulated.

Someone had posted a few videos before of their cockatoo "playing" with wood chunks. He was just sawing through huge chunks of wood like they were butter! It was CRAZY. I think cockatoos are beautiful and sweet and adorable. But, I have said before that I do not think I could meet their needs in any way, shape or form. Plus, my husband has made the request "could you maybe just not get any birds that are super loud":hehe: so that would also make them a definite no-no for me. I give a lot of credit to those of you who can really keep them enriched, happy and well exercised (mentally and physically). :hug8:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Someone had posted a few videos before of their cockatoo "playing" with wood chunks. He was just sawing through huge chunks of wood like they were butter! It was CRAZY. I think cockatoos are beautiful and sweet and adorable. But, I have said before that I do not think I could meet their needs in any way, shape or form. Plus, my husband has made the request "could you maybe just not get any birds that are super loud":hehe: so that would also make them a definite no-no for me. I give a lot of credit to those of you who can really keep them enriched, happy and well exercised (mentally and physically). :hug8:

Gee..might that have been Hootie? LOLOL

Really, I only buy the really expensive extra large bird wood toys once in a while. He destoys them in less than a day. I go to places like Home Depot and Lowes and ask the lumber department for their untreated scraps. They just throw them away and will give them to you for free. I cut them to the right size, drill a hole and hang. Viola...wonderful wood for my M2 to turn into toothpicks and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg:) I have also gotten a ton of scrap lumber from construction trash piles:)

Cardboard boxes are another favorite for Hootie and those come along quite regularly around here. I tend to make homemade foraging toys for him because he doesn't play by the rules and will just break apart any kind of plastic refillable foraging toy that I buy. He's not huge on the workable toys..like SS nuts and bolts and screws..that kind of thing. He will mess with them once in a while. I think he doesn't like that he cannot destroy them...LOL

He does really like playing fetch..meaning he throws the toys and I go and fetch them..LOL The kids will play this game with him for hours and he never tires of it..LOL

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
hahaha yeah smokey has me trained to feth already too
he throws the toys and iget them and put them back on his cage or in
2 minutes later hes throwing them again lol i wish he could catch
that would be awesome as sometimes we will play fetch with the childrens
wooden abc blocks and he loves to throw them and then me get them and put them back and he throws again lol

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney

Really, I only buy the really expensive extra large bird wood toys once in a while. He destoys them in less than a day. I go to places like Home Depot and Lowes and ask the lumber department for their untreated scraps. They just throw them away and will give them to you for free. I cut them to the right size, drill a hole and hang. Viola...wonderful wood for my M2 to turn into toothpicks and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg:) I have also gotten a ton of scrap lumber from construction trash piles:)

Cardboard boxes are another favorite for Hootie and those come along quite regularly around here. I tend to make homemade foraging toys for him because he doesn't play by the rules and will just break apart any kind of plastic refillable foraging toy that I buy. He's not huge on the workable toys..like SS nuts and bolts and screws..that kind of thing. He will mess with them once in a while. I think he doesn't like that he cannot destroy them...LOL

He does really like playing fetch..meaning he throws the toys and I go and fetch them..LOL The kids will play this game with him for hours and he never tires of it..LOL
i drill holes first then cut it is easer beleave me , you can use the steel from other toys that are gone to string up or just toss wood in a box let him get his owe out as needed
good luck and enjoy u2 s are great i found but mine was a baby when i got her only was lucky enough to see her through her first 3 1/2 yrs

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
i drill holes first then cut it is easer beleave me , you can use the steel from other toys that are gone to string up or just toss wood in a box let him get his owe out as needed
good luck and enjoy u2 s are great i found but mine was a baby when i got her only was lucky enough to see her through her first 3 1/2 yrs

I keep the SS chains and rods from toys and I use them to hang the wood blocks and other things, too!! Recycling is great! :)

I should have been more clear in my earlier post...my husband cuts the wood to size and then I drill the holes and hang...LOLOLOL But, for Hootie, those pieces of wood are still pretty fairly large...

sueb45

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sue
tmwsho, good luck with your new too and we want to see some pictures! This is really a good place to come and get advice. Have fun!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I recommend making the majority of your birds wood/shredder toys with pieces fo wood, paper, cardboard (not boxed form but pieces of card board cut up). This hormonal male 'too will surely thank you for it.

And personally, there is a REASON for why this cockatoo is attacking people. I tink its best to figure otu the reason WHY and work with him and not get him a short cage. Birds feel most comfortable up high.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
I recommend making the majority of your birds wood/shredder toys with pieces fo wood, paper, cardboard (not boxed form but pieces of card board cut up). This hormonal male 'too will surely thank you for it.

And personally, there is a REASON for why this cockatoo is attacking people. I tink its best to figure otu the reason WHY and work with him and not get him a short cage. Birds feel most comfortable up high.
:) agree ...someone who really knows their toos

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Dawn! Yes, I think it was Hootie. He was just whipping through these huge hunks of wood, trying make his quota:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.