• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pierre...A changed bird. A happy bird.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Many of you remember me getting Pierre a couple months back. He was a very frighten bird. Lay on his back, feet out, beak opened and screamed.
Over the course of the two months I worked with him, and realized he's not aggressive, just scared. I went slow and never pushed him to do anything, relied on patience.
Though he began stepping up after a couple weeks, he kept his distance. And Leary of hands.
He's take food from your hands, but was cautious in doing so and jumpy.
I tested the waters and asked him for a kiss knowing an amazon as big as him could rip my lips off with ease. But I trusted my instincts. And watched his body language. I got a gentle kiss.
I realized then...this was not a bird wishing to be mean it just wants to trust and love agian. And I was right.
I've never been able to pet or touch Pierre
to give him scritches....he'd back away or scream at me.
But tonite sometime different happened. I sat on floor let him roam around. When he came back over, grabbed my finger with his foot while I was on floor and rubbed his head on my finger. I slowly have him scritches on his head and side of head for first time. He closed his eyes while doing it.
I was just speechless....he's really turning into the sweetest bird ever. Love this guy!!
IMG_20200316_220029.jpg IMG_20200316_215814_hdr.jpg IMG_20200316_220007.jpg IMG_20200316_220327_burst_01.jpg IMG_20200316_220250.jpg IMG_20200316_220112.jpg IMG_20200316_220336_burst_01.jpg

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
So glad for the progress!He sure is blossoming isn't he?
He sure is.... I Just love this bird!! He's very good at saying his name.... " I'm pierre....I'm Pierre "
I go up up....hello ...momma!!!MOMmmmmaaaa!
Momma....MOMMA!!!
And when I put my coat on he says ...bye bye.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I just love success stories!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's so wonderful! :)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
You really are the second chance he needed!!!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Here's to many more scritches and adventures.
I think so too!! He is showing he's quite happy.
I realize it must be confusing to learn a new place, a new routine, and get accustomed to the routine. But patience and love paid off.
He plays constantly with toys, eats well, and eats proper. Likes his baths, loves to chat....
and come to realize, he didn't come from an abused home...he was loved cared for in past, that shows in him. Just something happened that he could no longer be at that home..... And he grieved I presumed. But he's learning that love can be found again, here.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thank you for adopting a frightened bird. Your progress is really impressive. Congratulations.
Thanks, .....it must be frightening to go to a new home, New things, New humans, New routine, another bird, the whole ball of wax.a
But I really don't have words to express my joy in seeing him come out of his shell, and learn about his behavior because it shows what his past was like....and I've come to the conclusion he was deadly loved, and he loved back....but somewhere down the line his family could no longer keep him...that became sad and frightening for him.
But he's learning that everything here is ok and that he can start over and be loved again...
Ever fall head over heels in love with a bird?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This just makes me so unbelievably happy! Pierre is such a sweet and brave little 'zon. How far he's come!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
This just makes me so unbelievably happy! Pierre is such a sweet and brave little 'zon. How far he's come!
Me too!!! I just really don't have the words to express the joy I feel that he's opened the door to trust.
You know, in the beginning, I'm willing to bet many or most people would have passed Pierre up at a rescue, because he lunged at you, screamed if you got near, one frightened bird. I seen past that.
I goes to show with patience and love, you can bring a bird out of its shell, and open the doors to trust which in turn develops and nice bond and love. Yes it does happen.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
This is almost exactly what we went through with Mickey, a DYH we rescued from horrible conditions. He became the sweetest, most loving and trusting bird. He would only let my wife give him a scritches. He adored them! And her cooking.

With all the bad news, it’s great to read about Pierre! He is a true love bug who has found love and happiness again!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Many of you remember me getting Pierre a couple months back. He was a very frighten bird. Lay on his back, feet out, beak opened and screamed.
Over the course of the two months I worked with him, and realized he's not aggressive, just scared. I went slow and never pushed him to do anything, relied on patience.
Though he began stepping up after a couple weeks, he kept his distance. And Leary of hands.
He's take food from your hands, but was cautious in doing so and jumpy.
I tested the waters and asked him for a kiss knowing an amazon as big as him could rip my lips off with ease. But I trusted my instincts. And watched his body language. I got a gentle kiss.
I realized then...this was not a bird wishing to be mean it just wants to trust and love agian. And I was right.
I've never been able to pet or touch Pierre
to give him scritches....he'd back away or scream at me.
But tonite sometime different happened. I sat on floor let him roam around. When he came back over, grabbed my finger with his foot while I was on floor and rubbed his head on my finger. I slowly have him scritches on his head and side of head for first time. He closed his eyes while doing it.
I was just speechless....he's really turning into the sweetest bird ever. Love this guy!!
View attachment 331192 View attachment 331193 View attachment 331194 View attachment 331195 View attachment 331196 View attachment 331197 View attachment 331198
It is wonderful when you both get rewarded for your hard work. I hope he continues to his progress with you.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
This is almost exactly what we went through with Mickey, a DYH we rescued from horrible conditions. He became the sweetest, most loving and trusting bird. He would only let my wife give him a scritches. He adored them! And her cooking.

With all the bad news, it’s great to read about Pierre! He is a true love bug who has found love and happiness again!
Funny you mentioned that. He seems to prefer my wife giving him scritches. He actually is quite drawn to my wife and prefers to be with her.
He won't say momma when my wife goes to work. The minute she comes home, it's mommmmmmaaaaa, MOMMA, MMMMMOOOOOMMMMMAAAAA!!! lol....

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Awww yay!! :bounce4:

So happy for all of you! How is it between him and Grey Grey these days?
Ehhhhh, ok....they sit at different perches. But grey grey has a tendency to fly to his cage...and right now no, gotta keep them seperated. In time they'll get used to each other. Right now I keep one out, one in...and rotate. Unless I'm in same room, then they both can come out and generally good. I'm one that doesn't take chances when leaving them alone.