• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pierre...A changed bird. A happy bird.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Haha! Sounds just like our Corkie, a cockatiel we had for 27 years...he was hubby’s bird...

We would go out, as we got back and as Id put my key in the door id whisper to my husband shhhh, open the door, corkie would go crazy calling out Papa, Papa!!!

i would say ‘it’s only me‘, corkie would instantly shut up, a few seconds later hubby would clear his throat and corkie would go nuts!!

definitely hubby’s bird!! :laughing7:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That's so awesome that he's opened up and decided your trustworthy and a friend. Lurch was like that, but completely scared to death and quick to bite without warning. He finally got there about 5 years later and it was so nice to see him with soft happy eyes and chasing me around the house.
Hope you have a long happy life together :xflove:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It seems pretty obvious that Pierre at one time had a good home with lots of love and kindness. Something happened between that phase and when you got him to make him miserable. Well, @Hawk12237 you fixed him right up and he can be happy again.

That's how we save them one at a time.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It seems pretty obvious that Pierre at one time had a good home with lots of love and kindness. Something happened between that phase and when you got him to make him miserable. Well, @Hawk12237 you fixed him right up and he can be happy again.

That's how we save them one at a time.
I believe that too Mary, He had a good home with lots of love, and something happened along the way. He exhibits the traits of once being a very very happy and good loving bird. And that is coming back, his behaviour shines through and quite noticeable of that fact.
It's sad that not all birds rescued will make a remarkable turnaround. Some will take a little more work. But all are capable of being turned around. You just got to work with them and never give up. Persistence and patience really does pay off in long run.
Last night he made another nice first gesture.
My wife sat on the floor and Pierre went straight to her. He grabbed her finger with his beak, my wife was a little nervous that he did that, but it was so gentle. He held on to her finger with his beak, like about a minute, closed his eyes, and lifted her finger up and let go.
I said to my wife, he's exhibiting the fact he wants to trust you, go ahead and scratch his head.
Oh he loved it and just sat there eyes closed and took in all the scritches he could.
He's a wonderful bird.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Yay Pierre!:laugh: Congrats! Ya'll sound like a perfect fit!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch used to love riding on my shoulder into the bathroom when I got home from work. One day after he was started to trust me I let him down on the sink top and he just kinda looked at me like he wanted something. I put my face down level with him prepared to get popped. He looked at me and very gently touched my nose a couple of times with his beak.... :xflove:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well Pierre is becoming my wife's bird. Pierre, will let me pick him up and give him a treat, but seems he's just not fond of men. I can't pet him or give scritches. My wife can! Pierre goes off me and heads straight for my wife......there must be a difference between a man's hand and woman's hand....lol....!! The last photo he telling me off as to get away he says....
IMG_20200320_210602_hdr.jpg IMG_20200320_210751.jpg IMG_20200320_210954.jpg IMG_20200320_211017.jpg IMG_20200320_211225.jpg IMG_20200320_211121.jpg

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Welcome to my world with Dobby. At first he tried to feed me and get scritches, then he discovered sister looks kinda like Momazon, does all the cool things in the kitchen with food, and gives great scritches. I've been reduced to protection, walnut provider, and maintenance of his house. I can ask him to step up and he always does because he is so well socialized, he loves almost anyone he meets, and he's never really bitten except for ferocious beakings, and the very occasional hard pinch. When she gets home he hops right on her, tries to woo her, and gets a awesome scritch.
He does like coming into the computer room and hanging out behind me on his huge play stand we found for him and seems to appreciate it but the minute he hears her get home he wants out NOW to greet her and start his evening.
He just waddled over and quietly whistled in my ear... Time for walnuts... :xflove:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Welcome to my world with Dobby. At first he tried to feed me and get scritches, then he discovered sister looks kinda like Momazon, does all the cool things in the kitchen with food, and gives great scritches. I've been reduced to protection, walnut provider, and maintenance of his house. I can ask him to step up and he always does because he is so well socialized, he loves almost anyone he meets, and he's never really bitten except for ferocious beakings, and the very occasional hard pinch. When she gets home he hops right on her, tries to woo her, and gets a awesome scritch.
He does like coming into the computer room and hanging out behind me on his huge play stand we found for him and seems to appreciate it but the minute he hears her get home he wants out NOW to greet her and start his evening.
He just waddled over and quietly whistled in my ear... Time for walnuts... :xflove:
Sounds like me and pierre...when my wife comes home it's mom, mom, momma momma, moooooommmmmmmaaaa!!!!!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm jealous.

Secret would have torn a finger off.

MC, my buddy, only dares to allow skritches on the back of his neck when he's on his playstand. Jaw touching is not allowed.

Dorcas George

Wow, he's looking mellow and content. Such a pretty boy! I love the big birds...wish I were younger. :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He looks like a sweetie pie that you have given a gift of love to.

Question unrelated to your thread and think you will know the answer. Which rank is higher a Captain or a Lieutenant? I am betting a captain.

Parrotkiss

Hit the Road
Frankenmuth, Michigan (Formerly from the U.K.)
Real Name
Glenda
He looks like a sweetie pie that you have given a gift of love to.

Question unrelated to your thread and think you will know the answer. Which rank is higher a Captain or a Lieutenant? I am betting a captain.
Hmmm, Michaels says Lieutenant, so I'll go with that one.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
A male may have been his abuser before coming to you.
He looks like a very gentle (and handsome!) soul. So happy he is now with you and getting all the love that he needs.

Parrotkiss

Hit the Road
Real Name
Glenda
A male may have been his abuser before coming to you.
He looks like a very gentle (and handsome!) soul. So happy he is now with you and getting all the love that he needs.
I think your right. Michael gotten a good bite the other night. Drew blood. With me, he coo's and let's me touch him anywhere. With michael he'll step up and take food, give a kiss, but that's about it. So yea I think he had a bad experience from a male figure.

Parrotkiss

Hit the Road
Real Name
Glenda
I'm jealous.

Secret would have torn a finger off.

MC, my buddy, only dares to allow skritches on the back of his neck when he's on his playstand. Jaw touching is not allowed.
Oh he does have a strong bite. Just ask Michael, he gotten bitten pretty good the other night.
Me I can touch Pierre anywhere. Even on jaw.
I'm guessing a bad experience from a male figure.