• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures of the new baby vasa

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
and Shadow the CAG. The Vasa's name is up for debate-- so many birds are named Darwin. I give myself a wee to decide on a name officially so I have till sunday to decide his name.

Hope the pictures come out okay

He is hiding in the first pic, but he is there. I know their cages are thin in the way of toys, but with the baby vasa and the recent excessive vet check it will be a bit before they will be well stocked. I am trying to find/ make cheap toys-- feel free to make suggestions ;) The next thing that needs bought asap is more perches for the Vasa's cage, the store did not have anymore 36in or 40in.

He is obsessed with the jungle orb. He is a very good jumper and can hop from the rope connecting their cages and my bed to the jungle orb. Gives him a safe place when Shadow gets annoyed with him.

Attachments

Last edited:

YourSoJelly

Meeting neighbors
Wow, what a pretty pretty bird! Those cages and other birds are beautiful as well!!!

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Wow! What a huge cage for that lovely bird! I hope Shadow warms up to him soon.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very beautiful! Congrats!:heart::heart:

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
Wow! What a huge cage for that lovely bird! I hope Shadow warms up to him soon.
I'd love to get Shadow a size or two bigger of a cage, but the one he has now is really high quality and JUST fits through the door frame ( Vasa's needs taken a part)
So it may be a while before Shadow gets spoiled in the cage department too :( At least till I finish school and find a place.

The teil, Link, is my boyfriends. He visits-- I have lots of play areas and it reminds the teil there are other birds in the world :p

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
What a cutie. •Those eyes do hit a soft spot! •I prefer shorter perches in different places in the cage than long perches. •Mine has a boing in her cage and prefers to play on that. •Pet is not a big wood chewer but she loves plastic and balls with a bell which she rolles around. •She also grabs them and brings them up high to twist and turn then drop. • Pet LOVES food so hiding food in a paper bag or dixie cup would be a fun activity once she learns that food can be found. •She loves food hung on a skewer as well. •

Pet is also a great flyer. •She flies around corners and she can hover pretty darn good as well. •What do you think of their call?

Can't wait to hear your experiences with your Vasa. •

Congrats.

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
So far hes only made some frustrated baby noises when he is finished feeding and whistled a few times, but the whistle is weird. Shadow has a high pitched whistle that sounds like a bird (though his talking often fools people) When the Vasa whistles it sounds human. Its weird, makes me picture and old man whistling. The volume is double that of Shadow too. I can see it will not be hard for him to be LOUD.

I have a few skewers I can put to use, and some little cups. I have noticed a fast affinity for foot toys. Shadow likes to bang and drop stuff(the containor ontop of Shadow's cage is of foot toys and spare parts for him to drop-- and a stuff fennec fox he likes to beat up) but the vasa actually sits and plays with foot toys, turning them over and nibbling on them.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I like your jungle orb. Did you make that out of vine? Now I want to make one :)

Cheap toys for Greys (I don't know enough about Vasas): empty food boxes, pine cones, finger traps filled with tissue paper and you can hide nuts in them, coffee filters, empty paper towel or toilet paper rolls filled with paper. My CAG loves to shred and she loves to pick up all her foot toys and put them into boxes, lol! Then later she rips up the boxes.

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
I like your jungle orb. Did you make that out of vine? Now I want to make one :)

Cheap toys for Greys (I don't know enough about Vasas): empty food boxes, pine cones, finger traps filled with tissue paper and you can hide nuts in them, coffee filters, empty paper towel or toilet paper rolls filled with paper. My CAG loves to shred and she loves to pick up all her foot toys and put them into boxes, lol! Then later she rips up the boxes.
The finger traps are a great idea, shadow loves chewing paper I role up (there are papers taped to random places all over). I bet i could poke holes in a whole bunch of coffee filters and string them up in each cage with the sisel rope from old toys--I cant throw and possible toy parts away.

I got the jungle orb from Home Page Peggy is very polite to email/talk to. If you are from central- northern Ohio I highly recommend her bird toys. She visits several bird fairs too.

kookaburra

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Yvonne
What a beautiful bird!!! Can't wait to hear more about him! :hug8:

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
Note how big he looks next to Shadow(who is a bit small for a cag--402g) he is actually 50g less only 352g

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
He is a beautiful boy :heart: His cage looks alot like my amazons cage :)
I prefer using natural perches for my birds with one or two concrete perches in high traffic areas. If you do use natural perches just make sure they are a bird safe wood and have been thoroughly disinfected. Cotton rope products have been linked to causing blockages in the digestive tract , a parrot suplies shop here in Australia have actually removed cotton/rope products from their product list after consultation with avian vets. I am now not buying rope products any more opting for other natural products like vine, vegie tanned leather etc...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on him!

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how adorable..love the grey and tiel too!!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
The finger traps are a great idea, shadow loves chewing paper I role up (there are papers taped to random places all over). I bet i could poke holes in a whole bunch of coffee filters and string them up in each cage with the sisel rope from old toys--I cant throw and possible toy parts away.

I got the jungle orb from Home Page Peggy is very polite to email/talk to. If you are from central- northern Ohio I highly recommend her bird toys. She visits several bird fairs too.
Thanks, she has some unique things. I'm wondering if Pete would like a Jungle orb since he's afraid of rope and won't use the atom I have. I wouldn't mind having one of her play gyms either for something different.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is that jungle orb a large or a medium? :)

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
Wow, beautiful baby! And love that jungle orb!!! :eek: