• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Good evening my cockatoo was diagnosed with clostridium and heavy metal toxicity, I am giving her injections for the heavy metals and also an antibiotic called chloramphenicol, ursodiol and acetylcystaine . I am currently spoon feeding this bird because she won’t eat on her own. She likes soup pellets. She want to eat her pellets soft. I put it in warm water before I give it to her. Her droppings have been a bit wet and also the solid part is very little. She will only eat zupreme fruit blend pellets for now. The bird is an umbrella cockatoo female. E9057108-4B14-4512-9DA9-966F05727C4C.jpeg 78B1232E-E460-4140-99D9-2368EC0C1D34.jpeg This is an umbrella cockatoo. These dropping started since I stated giving her all the medication. But she is eating and her weight is ok.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Medications and diet can affect poops. What specifically are you seeing that you're concerned with?

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Medications and diet can affect poops. What specifically are you seeing that you're concerned with?
The solid part is very small. Sometimes the poop is just the úric acid and water. I did notice today in the morning she had green slime string poop around her vent. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you contact your vet with your concerns?

Chelating helps the body expell excess metals through feces or urine. Combined with the moisture rich diet, it could definitely all be totally normal for that type of treatment.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Can you contact your vet with your concerns?

Chelating helps the body expell excess metals through feces or urine. Combined with the moisture rich diet, it could definitely all be totally normal for that type of treatment.
I will do that tomorrow and post here to let you guys know. Do you guys have any ideas what would be the signs of improvement of the metal toxicity?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I think we had someone recently go through treatment for metal toxicity,?

I agree with @Mizzely it's hard to know normal when being treated. Mizzely and many others her are very knowledgeable and even more knowledgeable than I .

But less fecal matter is probably less food getting into her. If food has more moisture it displaced soldis . So she probably needs more calories. You can try doing more feedings. I've done 4-5 times during daylight hours to keep up with calories needs. But let them sleep as normal. Sleep is also important in healing. .

Talk to your vet about support diets. They may want you to try others to get more calories in.

How's her weight?

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I think we had someone recently go through treatment for metal toxicity,?

I agree with @Mizzely it's hard to know normal when being treated. Mizzely and many others her are very knowledgeable and even more knowledgeable than I .

But less fecal matter is probably less food getting into her. If food has more moisture it displaced soldis . So she probably needs more calories. You can try doing more feedings. I've done 4-5 times during daylight hours to keep up with calories needs. But let them sleep as normal. Sleep is also important in healing. .

Talk to your vet about support diets. They may want you to try others to get more calories in.

How's her weight?
Her weight is good