• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Personal dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe I'm a bit naive for wanting to believe it'll be different this time, that I want to give her the benefit of the doubt

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Given what you have said, why are you making yourself anxious?
I bet what would happen is that you end up doing MORE than your share of work for short money.
Then she will complain about you daily to your grandmother and you'll have to hear about that.
You know this is how she operates.
Money is always nice but not at the cost of your sanity.
Plus since the position is off the books there could be tax problems and also you could not even use it as a reference for another job.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bet what would happen is that you end up doing MORE than your share of work for short money.
Then she will complain about you daily to your grandmother and you'll have to hear about that.
Plus since the position is off the books there could be tax problems and also you could not even use it as a reference for another job.

Honestly, i don't know. I guess i got caught up in the excitement of extra money that it didn't sink it until i was asleep, then i started questioning everything and if it was worth it

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
and do be ready to hear from her via your grandmother about what a dolt you are to not "help her out".
That'll go for about a week, but just think how that reinforces your decision. If you worked for her it would go on forever.
Tell your grandmother that too.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
and do be ready to hear from her via your grandmother about what a dolt you are to not "help her out".
That'll go for about a week, but just think how that reinforces your decision. If you worked for her it would go on forever.
Tell your grandmother that too.

Tell me about it. She was all smiles when I told her I'll consider it. I wonder what she'll have to say when I tell her I've changed my mind.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tell me about it. She was all smiles when I told her I'll consider it. I wonder what she'll have to say when I tell her I've changed my mind.
I suspect her response will only confirm your decision not to work for her.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
You are reading my mind. I wanted to say exactly what you said.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sometimes, rarely, working for an individual (or an organization) by computer can work out well, but not often. First, is any up front money required from you - a definite no no. Would you have to provide supplies - a no no. Is the work or her business illegal - another no no. Why would she ask you to sign a contract for casual work? If the contract is written by her it probably is very much in her favor. I'd say no contract unless reviewed by a lawyer. Do you understand exactly what you would be expected to produce and time constraints on production? Would she provide you with a 1099 for what she has paid you? Will she pay you an up front retainer?

It can be a risk - nothing is simple any longer.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes, rarely, working for an individual (or an organization) by computer can work out well, but not often. First, is any up front money required from you - a definite no no. Would you have to provide supplies - a no no. Is the work or her business illegal - another no no. Why would she ask you to sign a contract for casual work? If the contract is written by her it probably is very much in her favor. I'd say no contract unless reviewed by a lawyer. Do you understand exactly what you would be expected to produce and time constraints on production? Would she provide you with a 1099 for what she has paid you? Will she pay you an up front retainer?

It can be a risk - nothing is simple any longer.

I have an idea of what I'm supposed to be doing but she's supposed to train me via video chat tomorrow if I say yes. She didn't mention a 1099 or a retainer fee, she just said I would make $10 an hour and I would keep a timesheet

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well, don't sign the contract - although I'm doubtful that she would try to enforce it. Is her business legal?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would ask how many other people she has offered this opportunity to, that is if you feel she is honest. You are family so why do you have to sign anything? A week trial period sounds good to me. You don't want to get yourself into anything you cannot step out of gracefully so as not to light old fires again. Good luck

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
JMPO (just my personal opinion) never work for family.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yup, like others have said she'd definitely use your grandmother against you to guilt you into not quitting no matter how bad things get. And since you and your grandmother live together you wouldn't get a moment of peace.

If she was a bad employer for your mom and your mother and sister without having a violent history with them I'd imagine she'd be at least as terrible to you if not more.

You want to give her the benefit of the doubt because you are a nice person. She is not and projecting yourself onto her won't change how she is. As my dad would remind me, "pearls before swine."

Status
Not open for further replies.