• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parrot aspiration

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Good afternoon my parrot aspirated formula. She had a liver biopsy on Monday. I was advice to feed her formula with a syringe to the right side of her mouth which I did. She aspirated formula. Two days ago I took her back to the vet. And they put her on albuterol with /Bayt/ac-cyst nebulizer 5ml every 6-8 hours also metacam suspension 0.1 ml every 24 hours and orbax 0.3 mls . She is ok taking the 0.1 ml but not the 0.3 ml. I don’t want to give this animal anymore medication with a syringe because they advise me to retrain her she doesn’t was to take it. I am afraid she is going to continue to aspirate then this nightmare will never be over. Can I put it in her food. I no longer feeding her with a syringe after this I am feeding her with a spoon and the formula is like a mash consistency. I am giving her oxbow critical care omnivore. How can you restrain a bird in order to administer 0.3 ml without it aspirating the medication. This is so frustrating. Any advice will be highly appreciated. Do you guys think this bird
will recover? She is 1 year old cockatoo. They did an X-ray and it showed that she aspirated.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I’d advise contacting your vet for help. To me it sounds like this bird should have been hospitalized. In our practice we don’t have owners give formula because of this risk It’s possible for a bird to get through this but it sounds like she needs a lot of supportive care from professionals.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I’d advise contacting your vet for help. To me it sounds like this bird should have been hospitalized. In our practice we don’t have owners give formula because of this risk It’s possible for a bird to get through this but it sounds like she needs a lot of supportive care from professionals.
Omggg and they are close today and tomorrow :(

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I just feel I can’t trust any vet in this city.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I just feel I can’t trust any vet in this city.
Is there an emergency vet you can contact? Where are you located?

you can swaddle her in a towel and give the meds slowly, making sure she swallows between drops. If she’s taking spoon feedings you can mix them in food to get them in. I understand your misgivings but if this vet is the only option it means you need to be persistent with them or ask for recommendations for a referral.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I am located in Miami Florida. She has constant cough one after the other the. She stops for a few minutes and such. I wish I could post a video but it only has the option for photos.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Check out the find a vet page on aav.org

that will help you find avian vets close to you that may also be able to help

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
They are both closed and one of them is the avian vet that I go to.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A vet is really the only option for that. There isn’t a lot you can do on your own to help once the fluid gets into their lungs.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I just don’t know if what they sent me home with is enough to surpass the weekend.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I am located in Miami Florida. She has constant cough one after the other the. She stops for a few minutes and such. I wish I could post a video but it only has the option for photos.
Check out the find a vet page on aav.org

that will help you find avian vets close to you that may also be able to help
Thank you Milo!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You can post a video by sharing a link from another site such as YouTube Facebook Instagram etc

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
It’s difficult in this place to find good vets. :(. It feel like everyone here are after the money. I can’t wait to move from this city.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
You can post a video by sharing a link from another site such as YouTube Facebook Instagram etc
The video i would like to share is of my bird coughing but I don’t have a YouTube or any other place where I can upload without other people watching it. I just want to share it here.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I am afraid of spoon feeding her and then she self aspirate. She refuse to eat her pellets.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I have contacted the vet by leaving a message in his portal. I doubt that he will answer me today.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It’s difficult in this place to find good vets. :(. It feel like everyone here are after the money. I can’t wait to move from this city.
Good care is expensive. Cheaper care does not equate to caring more about patients, unfortunately usually the cheaper clinics subsidize that by not paying staff well and not keeping up with appropriate standard of care.

Getting your little one through this will likely be costly and require a lot of rechecks and imaging to make sure her lungs are responding to treatment.

For perspective, where I work a case like this would easily be over $2000 by now with the exams, work up and supportive care.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Very stressful with your sweetie. I'm so sorry.

I'm not familiar with the food your are feeding. I will look it up. I use kaytee baby bird formula made thick like Greek yogurt thick , and only offer at beak tip, never putting any part of syringe in mouth, and go slow giving them s beak full st s time. Mine would also take from my finger or out of a shallow bowl.

But if she is eating in her own let her eat anything she wants within reason. No extra sugary stuff. Cooked whole wheat pasta it pasta made from chick peas, offer warm chopped up with some steamed veggies. Cooked warm sweat potatoes served mashed. Sick birds get to eat ehst they want. If she will eat some seeds let her eat those. Some scrambled egg.

You can take a little piece of bread and ket it disk up the medication . My birds will eat med disjed bread. If she likes banana you might take a little slice, poke a hole on part way in our meds in and mash the hole closed and offer.

Support warmth is always helpful for sick birds. I use radiant heat panel called sweeter Heater.

Keep her calm and quiet as you can . Only out of cage to sit with you and snuggly.

Yes she can recover from aspiration. Depending might need an oxygen chamber st vets . I'm surprised they don't have an oncall vet to help you. Florida, especially Miami has a large pet parrot population.