• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overweight budgie or underweight?

R&C

Moving in
Recently I’ve noticed my budgie has been eating more lately, whenever he wants more food he goes to the bottom of the cage looking for food, and I feel very bad for her so like a good owner, I gave her more food. But I feel like sometimes she asks for more food a little too much! Nothing have changed in her appearance much but I’m just very concerned if she is underweight or overweight, I know for a fact that if she is overweight she can be more exposed to arteriosclerosis, atherosclerosis, and/or hepatic lipidosis (also called fatty liver disease). Please help your new budgie owner!

-Rianna.

R&C

Moving in
PS: I don’t usually check how much food I give her which is probably bad so Ill start doing that too!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Do you have a scale? Even a kitchen scale?

I mean so you can weigh her, not necessarily the food..

R&C

Moving in
Yes I have a scale I’ll check her weight! Thanks for your help!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Yeah, record her weight and then check in on normal Budgie weight range. Then keep recording it to see what’s going on.
I sometimes put a dish of treats on the scale, then tare that weight and then put my guy on so he’ll stay put and eat while I’m weighing him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You will want to check the keel bone for determining if your bird is of a good weight, underweight or overweight. Using weight alone can be quite dangerous as birds just like humans come in many sizes even within the same species- there are people with perfectly healthy B&G macaws who weigh a heck of a lot less than my macaw does and budgies can have a massive difference in weights from other budgies.

keelbone-illus-2_orig.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That's a good point @Shezbug I like the graphic. Very clear.
It is a good thing to remember the importance of checking the keel bone until a regular healthy weight has been established for each individual as each bird. The keel bone is how the vet will check the condition of birds they are assessing.