• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outings..key to a happy bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I took Gertie to a horse show with me this morning, just for a couple of hours in her aviator harness.

Every time I take her out, when she is in her cage she seems so quiet and content, and less prone to harrass the other birds.

I think outings are a great way to help behavior issues and add spice to their life and daily routine. I wish I could get Ollie in a harness!

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Thats great, I have to try that:hug8:any pictures

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
That's great. However it is so hot here outings = fried bird. I do take mine out when the weather is nice in a cage.

Last edited:

Bambino

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Melissa
Ahh Monica your little Gertie must have had a blast with the horses!

BakeBeanPie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elizabeth
Jacko gets very happy when taken outdoors,

You can also use a carrier for Ollie. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds like you both had a nice time! That is great!

Matt

Ladyredwingrider

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Moni
Roxie loves her harness, she know she's going out. My husband is a tour guide on carriages we took we took ride with him one night and she had a blast.

Joey

Hit the Road
so far every experience i've had with a bird outside has been positive. they seem to really be happy as soon as i open the door, and they love 'conversing' with other wild birds lol. <3

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I wish I could take Jacob with me when I go out, but it's too cold here. Even during the summer.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
wish I could take mine out but they wont let me put one on them

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I soo agree with this, but I have the same problem many others do. I can only get a harness on Luca, the other two think I am putting the noose around their neck....lol. Jack is scared to death, but I know he would absolutely love it if he would let me put it on him and take him outside. I have tried so many times to show it to him, let him hold it etc, but it is a no go!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cool1: My two really enjoy their outings!

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Monica is the daughter that rides the one with the scholarship?

I can't handle the boys and Sunni has never really liked being outside :(. I have a big wrought iron cage on the porch. On nice days I would put her in it and sit on the porch swing and read a book. She sits there like a lump. No animation whatsoever. One sunny day in the winter I opened the blinds in the bird room open completely - you would have thought I had brought in a hawk, all three were fright flapping and thrashing around, which they immediately stopped as soon as I closed the blinds.

So I at least I don't feel like I am depriving them of being outside.

btw, I'm not telling them I told ya'll they very scared of something :) they are after all: Big Bad Amazons :lol:

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
The majority of my birds are willing to wear a harness, and I often take one (or 2) of them out with me. The place we most often go is Starbucks, but I heard from other bird friends that many restaurants with outside seating let people bring their birds to lunch/dinner. I think I might try that :)

I took a few of my birds to the barn to visit my horses, and it was the horses that were terrified, not the birds :hehe:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was out with Emma for 2.5 hours today. We went to the Farmer's market and to run errands. We even got caught in a HUGE rainstorm while walking through the park. I had our big Golf umbrella to protect us from the rain.:D Emma took it all in stride and was very attentive to everone who gushed over her.:)

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Howard loves to go out. He is much more comfortable in his backpack than in his harness. Now if I say "Want to go bye-bye?" he goes right to his backpack!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Oh so thats cool that everyone takes their birds out. Ive been taking herin the yard in an extra cage lately but I can wait until our Aviator Harness arrives so I can start taking her on walks with us to the park and such!

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Emmett and I sit on the back deck for a couple hours just about every day. Of course the winters will be too cold, but he sure does love to be outside. I take him out in his sleep cage and enjoys calling to the birds and preening in the sunshine. :)

Dax

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brad
Merlin my GW I have to talk him in to wearing his harness. When I first got it he let me put it on him all the time. When summer came and I stuck it on him then took him out side it scared him. Now I have to talk him in to it a little more. I like taking him outside but he does not like it. He gets all quite and sticks really close to me. Just watching what is going on. I even took him and Joe out at the same time thinking that having both of them out might help but it did not. Now if I take him out in a cage then he is OK. So I am hoping that when I build his aviary that he will like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.