• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Orange Winged Amazon health advice

lolmcr

Moving in
Real Name
Evy
Hey everyone, I'm just posting here to get some advice. My orange winged amazon is about 45-50ish (we are unsure of exact age, he could be older or younger), but he has been quivering a bit (hes done this for past year or so, vet checked his breathing & did other tests and said everythings ok a couple months ago.) & his poop has gotten more watery in the past two weeks. My main concern is over his watery poop. I scheduled a vet appointment for march 11th a couple weeks ago (it is feb 25th now), but I'm concerned that may be too long away. I would take him earlier, but the vet schedule is only open 4 days a week and right when I am scheduled for school then. I am 4 hours away from the closest vet, including the one he normally goes to. Does anyone have any advice? He plays normally, talks normally & is eating just fine. He is on a pellet diet & will eat fruits, but very rarely will eat veggies (I offer them to him often but he only likes carrots, he is very picky). Right now hes taking meloxicam for his arthritis & two other medicines for liver support. I will be calling the vet as soon as they open, but for now I am seeking internet advice haha. Thank you all

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Are you saying your OWA had polyurea or was it diarrhea ? Is he drinking more than usual?
A few months ago my OWA (she is 54 this year) was on meloxicam for awhile and she got extreme polyurea that went on for a few days. She was also drinking much more than normal.
We were keeping an eye on her already because of some kidney trouble, so after consulting with the vet I stopped the meloxicam and she was better in a day.
I now have her on other pain management meds.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I would like to know if it's formed fecal in a lot of excess liquid urine as well. If the fecal part is liquid, like true diarrhea that's much more urgent in a bird . While it's still not great to have polyuria.

I would stop the fruit , except maybe a small piece of apple. I would try for cooked sweet potato mashed served warm . Most birds do like it , and has fiber and vitamin A.

A picture of fresh poop, not first morning poop, would be helpful.

lolmcr

Moving in
Real Name
Evy
Are you saying your OWA had polyurea or was it diarrhea ? Is he drinking more than usual?
A few months ago my OWA (she is 54 this year) was on meloxicam for awhile and she got extreme polyurea that went on for a few days. She was also drinking much more than normal.
We were keeping an eye on her already because of some kidney trouble, so after consulting with the vet I stopped the meloxicam and she was better in a day.
Hey! So some of his poops have been better, but its not diarrhea. His poop is formed fine, theres just usually a lot more water than usual. I havent noticed him drinking any more though? But then again I am gone for 5 hours a day so he could be drinking more then. I called the vet and they suggested I take him off the meloxicam until I can visit on March 11th. Thank you for your reply!

lolmcr

Moving in
Real Name
Evy
I would like to know if it's formed fecal in a lot of excess liquid urine as well. If the fecal part is liquid, like true diarrhea that's much more urgent in a bird . While it's still not great to have polyuria.

I would stop the fruit , except maybe a small piece of apple. I would try for cooked sweet potato mashed served warm . Most birds do like it , and has fiber and vitamin A.

A picture of fresh poop, not first morning poop, would be helpful.
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I actually have gotten him to start eating small pieces of veggie (sweet potatoe, carrot, bell peppers & brocceli). I’ve cut back on the fruit, but now I’m just seeing if his poop gets better. Im pretty sure it’s polyuria, since the poop is stil formed properly, theres just more liquid than normal.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

lolmcr

Moving in
Real Name
Evy
Okay actually, I just watched him dip his beak into the water bowl like 6 times… usually he only drinks like twice at one time….

lolmcr

Moving in
Real Name
Evy
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I actually have gotten him to start eating small pieces of veggie (sweet potatoe, carrot, bell peppers & brocceli). I’ve cut back on the fruit, but now I’m just seeing if his poop gets better. Im pretty sure it’s polyuria, since the poop is stil formed properly, theres just more liquid than normal.
Sorry just saw your request for photos. Here is a photo of some of his poop from today (I changed his newspaper this morning, so these are all from today). One of them looks normal, but the rest look off, especially the most recent one.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Let him drink as much as he wants. He is trying to regulate.
Hopefully stopping the Meloxicam helps with polyuria.
I see a couple that look good with urates. And that's excess in the one isn't super bad thankfully.
Congratulations on making progress with veggies!!!

lolmcr

Moving in
Real Name
Evy
Let him drink as much as he wants. He is trying to regulate.
Hopefully stopping the Meloxicam helps with polyuria.
I see a couple that look good with urates. And that's excess in the one isn't super bad thankfully.
Congratulations on making progress with veggies!!!
Okay, great. Thank you so much for the advice! I tend to get a bit paranoid with him since I’m not sure of his age and hes my baby boy, I’m sure you understand haha. Thanks again! I havent had much luck with him eating veggies for years other than sweet potatoe and carrot, so I’m super happy hes eating greens like broccoli. I will be trying snap peas & spinach next!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's still not normal to have excess urine , unless a stress poop like a vets .

But when I sick ones , I have had like ten times that amount. ( they had clymadia)

Great job working with your vet . And let us know.

Definitely celebrating birds eating fresh stuff!! Mine love thawed frozen peas as well. For me that's the only frozen I use. Don't forget to try sprouts!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Good idea to stop the Meloxicam for the moment. I have a 59+ year old Panama Amazon who has bad arthritis. I give him Meloxicam one month on and one month off depending on how he’s moving. If he needs more the vet suggested every other day rather than every day because it can affect their kidneys.

Glad you are getting him to eat some good veggies now. My Orange-wing will only eat veggies if I hand them to him in the kitchen… like a whole broccoli floret or a branch of fresh rosemary or dandelion flowers, etc.

Hopefully you can gradually add more veggies and good fruits like berries which will help with the arthritis. As Pixiebeak suggested, have you tried sprouting grains and legumes?

You may be interested in reading an article I write about arthritis in parrots. I update it every so often as I learn more.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm thinking spinach is high in Iron.

Secret loves the organic mini peppers.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Good idea to stop the Meloxicam for the moment. I have a 59+ year old Panama Amazon who has bad arthritis. I give him Meloxicam one month on and one month off depending on how he’s moving. If he needs more the vet suggested every other day rather than every day because it can affect their kidneys.

Glad you are getting him to eat some good veggies now. My Orange-wing will only eat veggies if I hand them to him in the kitchen… like a whole broccoli floret or a branch of fresh rosemary or dandelion flowers, etc.

Hopefully you can gradually add more veggies and good fruits like berries which will help with the arthritis. As Pixiebeak suggested, have you tried sprouting grains and legumes?

You may be interested in reading an article I write about arthritis in parrots. I update it every so often as I learn more.
Oops, I didn’t make it clear that the one month on was Meloxicam every other day, not every day.

lolmcr

Moving in
Real Name
Evy

Thank you so much for your advice! That is actually super helpful, so far his poop is still watery… but some of them are more solid so I’m hoping it’ll regulate more the next few days without meloxicam. I’ll try the sprouts tomorrow! Thanks again for the article, very helpful since the arthritis diagnosis is so new to me. Also, I’ve been giving him bell peppers since its one of the only veggies he likes… after reading the article do yo suggest completely removing the peppers from his diet? Or just giving it less

Last edited: