• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

On our way for our wellness check up!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
It's Ollie and Diggle's turn for the vet! We are on our way now. My husband was stubborn and wanted to make use of the astronaut bubble carrier even though I thought they would of liked the Birdie GoGo. They seem to be fine though. Just some cuddles going on. I'll update with what the vet says :)

Also, don't mind Diggle, he's molting and getting his adult plumage. He looks ROUGH.

20190920_152748.jpg

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
They're adorable!!! Blessings and good luck!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So cute!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
So, Diggle is healthy, perfect weight. She is just worried that both of his ears are bald, that Ollie is plucking him, but it may just be a bad molt.

Ollie on the other hand. . .he's 3-4 grams overweight. My husband is their caregiver mostly so I told him to cut most of the seed out for now, just one nutriberry in the morning and no more. He also has an abnormally high amount of bacteria in his system, but Diggle doesn't. The vet doesn't understand why and said to keep an eye on him for any extra yawning or nasal discharge. We have to take them both back in 3 months for a recheck.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One of the best gifts you can give your companion bird is the yearly wellness check with an avian vet. I also lets you know if you need to change any of the diet.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
One of the best gifts you can give your companion bird is the yearly wellness check with an avian vet. I also lets you know if you need to change any of the diet.
Funny thing is I've been telling him he's feeding to much seed but he kept doing it since they like it. Of course they like it! At least we are on the same page now :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sounds like an informative vet visit! They are so cute in their carrier. The photo with your husband watching over them made me smile too. :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad the vet visit went fairly well! Did she give him any antibiotics, or just tell you to wait and see since he’s acting healthy? Was this determined through an oral swab or a gram stain? I was told that gram stains are a very poor diagnostic tool, especially in a bird who is acting healthy. Maybe some probiotics and ACV would help?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that Diggle had no issues. Sorry about Ollie's bacteria levels and weight although 3-4 gms overweight is not that concerning, IMO. How did the vet determine that there were high levels of bacteria? Agree with Deanna that gram stain isn't generally that informative when it comes to identifying the type/s of bacteria and which antibiotic/s would be the most beneficial.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
She did 2 swabs, one from his mouth and one from his cloaca. Apparently both were high, but I didn't get any medications, it was a wait and see if he acts sick and come back in 3 months for a recheck. My husband said he's thinking about making an appointment at the really well know avian vet here that's a little more expensive, and an hour away. He just wants to make sure he's ok and if we like them better just switch.