• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG! I'm so in love with Linnies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Yes check out the linnie forum, I am a mod there and it's a great little community to learn about linnies. I rarely see linnies for adoption, I think it's because not a lot of people know about them so they are not being over bred yet. I hope it stays that way. I got Napoleon from a rescue but he is the only one I have really seen around me. Maybe one or two other but they don't come up often at all. I don't even have a local breeder, Sampson came from California.

They are such wonderful birds!
but I am a little biased;)
View attachment 103788
Now that is not rite showing one of the cutest little birdies ever shame on you... Seriously he is gorgeous and so at peace WOW

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I agree, Linnies have won my interest after meeting them in person as well..:lol:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You guys are SUCH BAD enablers! LOL! I might contact them...ugh!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Linnies are sooooooooo cute!! I almost got one a few years ago and I regret not doing it! Go for it!! :D

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Ohhhh You will Loooove them!:woot2:
My four boys are totally independent, but we kind of had an odd situation.:o:
I would def get 2 so they have each other.

Fynn is a dilute cobalt.

Boo-bert is a cobalt

Perrier, normal green

My little green bat!
But, Boo did this today but hung on foot!

Kye,turquoise is Crystal's Sampson's little brother.
Not a velcro bird like Sampson though;)

Is it ridiculous that I have almost 800 pics for this month alone.
The above were from this month(I'm saving some new pirate ones and bathing in the dog bowl to post later)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ohhhh You will Loooove them!:woot2:
My four boys are totally independent, but we kind of had an odd situation.:o:
I would def get 2 so they have each other.

They are just so stunning! I love their markings. I was reading through the Linnie forum a little bit and noticed someone was complaining about the noise. Can they really get that loud? I ask this as I listen to my greys beeping and screeching right now! Geez, I suppose I should go put everyone to sleep!:eek:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
They are just so stunning! I love their markings. I was reading through the Linnie forum a little bit and noticed someone was complaining about the noise. Can they really get that loud? I ask this as I listen to my greys beeping and screeching right now! Geez, I suppose I should go put everyone to sleep!:eek:
Compared to your birds they will be really quiet! The contact call can be a little loud but nothing compared to the big birds. Mostly they make cute little linnie noises

[video=youtube_share;7CNWrPl9QwA]http://youtu.be/7CNWrPl9QwA[/video]

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Here is a contact call from a linnie-
[video=youtube_share;8LVF96TKZIE]http://youtu.be/8LVF96TKZIE[/video]

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I've never had any that made much loud noise aside from an occasional contact call that IS loud when right in your ear! lol
They are not totally quiet but not especially loud. a few of the people on the linnie forum have had linnies that were loud but I haven't had that experience yet;) but I also think the ones I'm remembering had single linnies, I've never had less than two.:o:
I've had budgies, a love bird and a canary in the past and by far the linnies are the quietest, hands down.

Aside from their amazing eyes, I think my favorite is the freckled butt!:hehe:
Even Fynn has them,though much lighter of course.;)
pale freckles.lol
(notice the little poop,just so you know it's not so enormous all the time!)lol

Boo~bert's freckles
(I think he likes to pretend he's an owl sometimes)

Perrier proudly showing off his freckles.

Kye

Last edited:

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Oh man. I still say I only want a linnie if I can have a Sampson. ;)

I always get excited about linnies but then I worry about all the common "cons" that people seem to mention: they can be fearful of hands, have extra watery poops, don't do well unless in pairs (I'd prefer having one). And so then I go, 'Okay, that's fine. No linnie for me." AND THEN CRYSTAL POSTS MORE SAMPSON PHOTOS AND IT STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN. :sad10:

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)

:rofl: OMG! Perrier immediately started contacting calling back! Exact pitch and sequence to the vid! :eek:
Usually Fynn and Kye will contact call, but I don't think I've heard either Perrier or Boo-bert do it.
PS~It doesn't happen every day, and when it does, it doesn't last very long.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I wish you had not started all this....I now want one!!!!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
OMG! You guys kill me! You're so worried about the poop! Seriously...do I have to get out my camera and take pictures of the ginormous poops around here from my guys? I mean seriously! There's no way any little Linnie can beat the Tuchie Monster morning dump! LOL! Or Clancy's HUGE POOS that he must do on the carpet if at all possible! We're getting rid of the carpet too mainly because of Clanc and the Ekkies and the Ekkies are nothing but poop machines! HA HA! Poop means nothing to me!

The contact call is a little louder than I thought it could possibly be for such a tiny little bird but in no way comes close to Reggie Lou screaming his way into oblivion or the greys doing the smoke detector or the microwave...how about Clancy repeating a car alarm?:) Going from medium sized birds to two littles is going to be a piece of cake! HA! Ok, I'm sure I'm going to eat those words, but only time will tell.

I did contact the breeder in MN. She hasn't DNA'd them and I'm hesitant to get them without that. I suppose I could just get rid of any eggies that come along if I do end up with a male and a female but that's so hard on the female's body. I asked if she would DNA for me and am waiting to hear back. She hasn't clipped them yet which is great. I'm wondering why she still has them as they are four months old. She says they are tame but may need a little work but that doesn't bother me too much...what do you guys think. Don't these guys normally fly off the shelf so to speak? Any warning signs here? I asked for more pictures.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my you sure he isn't part green cheek? Mine went nuts! Too cute!:heart:

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Bad traits are that they freeze when scared, so they are a pain in the butt to find. Boobird just stands there as I rip the house apart looking for him. Also they tend to go under things like blankets or pillows, so you have to be very careful to check before you sit. I have had two friends loose their birds this way by accidently sitting on them.
I had to giggle at that! They are really good at playing Hide and Go Seek! :hehe: My linnie is just the opposite, he's the one that gets constantly picked on by the others. However, he does chase the budgies away from time to time. One bad thing about linnies are that their toenails grow at an alarming rate. And, when you try to clip them, they curl their little feet into balls.

Joey was an only linnie, as is JJ and I think they are ok. It's not like there aren't any other birds around here for him to talk to. ;) I think linnies are more people oriented than most other birds, except maybe lovies. The way Joey was always watching us like he was studying us, and now JJ, it's like they are little sponges - just soaking everything in! I am so glad that I got another linnie after I lost Joey. I don't think I'll ever be without at least 1. :heart:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Linnies are great. I got my Argyle as a rehome. There are a lot of Linnie rehomes in my area and babies too. I see them on cl all the time, although most of ones I see for sale do not seem like reputable breeders:(

And Teresa is the worst enabler EVER! Sending me breeder contact information! Bad Teresa Bad! LOL!

Some of you may know that we went to CARE yesterday, a local Wisconsin rescue, to check out a cage sale and drop off some supplies. While we were there, we had to say hi to the birdies there. Lots of Macaws and 'toos, some Pois, a few Conures, and some hospice Linnies. I've never seen Linnies in person and I got to hold the cutest little green girl and it was love at first sight! She was just the sweetest and cutest little thing I've ever met! Jon held her for a while and she was chattering to him and purring and seemed to really like him. I swear, if she were up for adoption, I would have walked out with her. Thankfully, she wasn't! I just can't believe how awesome these little things are! I can't believe I've never seen one before! Do they ever come up for adoption or do you pretty much have to go through a breeder? I came home and looked for breeders just out of curiosity and there don't even seem to be that many. These are seriously some of the neatest birds I have ever met! Tell me more about these guys and share pictures!:)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
OMG! You guys kill me! You're so worried about the poop! Seriously...do I have to get out my camera and take pictures of the ginormous poops around here from my guys? I mean seriously! There's no way any little Linnie can beat the Tuchie Monster morning dump! LOL! Or Clancy's HUGE POOS that he must do on the carpet if at all possible! We're getting rid of the carpet too mainly because of Clanc and the Ekkies and the Ekkies are nothing but poop machines! HA HA! Poop means nothing to me!

The contact call is a little louder than I thought it could possibly be for such a tiny little bird but in no way comes close to Reggie Lou screaming his way into oblivion or the greys doing the smoke detector or the microwave...how about Clancy repeating a car alarm?:) Going from medium sized birds to two littles is going to be a piece of cake! HA! Ok, I'm sure I'm going to eat those words, but only time will tell.

I did contact the breeder in MN. She hasn't DNA'd them and I'm hesitant to get them without that. I suppose I could just get rid of any eggies that come along if I do end up with a male and a female but that's so hard on the female's body. I asked if she would DNA for me and am waiting to hear back. She hasn't clipped them yet which is great. I'm wondering why she still has them as they are four months old. She says they are tame but may need a little work but that doesn't bother me too much...what do you guys think. Don't these guys normally fly off the shelf so to speak? Any warning signs here? I asked for more pictures.
I do know breeders that have had a hard time selling their linnies just because of the price of such a small bird. Does she have a website or any references for you? I can also put you in touch with a few great breeders if you are getting a bad feeling about this one. More pics would be good because their feather condition did not look that great in the photo. I thought they were rehomes, not from an actual breeder.

I am so excited for you!! You really are going to love having linnies! Wait till you mist them and they hang upside down, wings spread like a bat or roll around on their cage:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.