• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG! I'm so in love with Linnies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
And Teresa is the worst enabler EVER! Sending me breeder contact information! Bad Teresa Bad! LOL!

Some of you may know that we went to CARE yesterday, a local Wisconsin rescue, to check out a cage sale and drop off some supplies. While we were there, we had to say hi to the birdies there. Lots of Macaws and 'toos, some Pois, a few Conures, and some hospice Linnies. I've never seen Linnies in person and I got to hold the cutest little green girl and it was love at first sight! She was just the sweetest and cutest little thing I've ever met! Jon held her for a while and she was chattering to him and purring and seemed to really like him. I swear, if she were up for adoption, I would have walked out with her. Thankfully, she wasn't! I just can't believe how awesome these little things are! I can't believe I've never seen one before! Do they ever come up for adoption or do you pretty much have to go through a breeder? I came home and looked for breeders just out of curiosity and there don't even seem to be that many. These are seriously some of the neatest birds I have ever met! Tell me more about these guys and share pictures!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks Sherry! I'm on a Yahoo Linnie group but it's pretty much dead.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Yes check out the linnie forum, I am a mod there and it's a great little community to learn about linnies. I rarely see linnies for adoption, I think it's because not a lot of people know about them so they are not being over bred yet. I hope it stays that way. I got Napoleon from a rescue but he is the only one I have really seen around me. Maybe one or two other but they don't come up often at all. I don't even have a local breeder, Sampson came from California.

They are such wonderful birds!
but I am a little biased;)
roar_027.jpg

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Whaaaat!? No, you don't want LINNIES. :eek:

For one thing, they are VERY aloof and unfriendly. :sad8:

Photo 185small.jpg

And they hate to get wet, so they never bathe and are always STINKY! Pee yew! :scared6:

[video=youtube;opkq1WosqaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opkq1WosqaU [/video]

They are SUPER picky and won't eat their veggies. :mad:

[video=youtube;Np-FIyEs8yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-FIyEs8yc [/video]

Worst of all? They are B.O.R.I.N.G. They don't play at all! :shrug2:

[video=youtube;3i_0je9gu7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i_0je9gu7Q [/video]

They just sit around all day, being little perch potatoes. :straightface:

[video=youtube;iXXki4gWb1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXki4gWb1o [/video]

They are simply no fun whatsoever. :sleeping4:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I love Linnies! Met a few and they seemed to be poop machines though :lol:

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Oh yes! They are little poop machines! One thing that I love about linnies is that they use their feet like the bigger birds. It's hilarious to see! Joey never did it because he had a deformed foot, so seeing Jack Jack do it always makes me laugh. :hehe: They are excellent little mimickers. Hubby has taught JJ to make a farting noise :rolleyes: and JJ makes a smaller Amazon scream.:eek:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Mine aren't really poop machines.. in frequency, I would say mine poop less often than my other birds throughout the course of the day. Just LOOK OUT in the morning. Their morning poop is practically bigger than they are. :eek: (And mine squirt it at the wall or aim it at the other birds. :mad:)

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
Mine was raised with quakers so he thinks he is one. They are also fearless, Boobird goes after other birds toes including the macaws. Just this morning, Boobird chased my grey off me so he could kiss me. They are great little talkers and just love to be around people. Bad traits are that they freeze when scared, so they are a pain in the butt to find. Boobird just stands there as I rip the house apart looking for him. Also they tend to go under things like blankets or pillows, so you have to be very careful to check before you sit. I have had two friends loose their birds this way by accidently sitting on them.
I have friends that are breeders let me know if you want the info.

Attachments

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
OMG! You guys are horrible but I think this might be inevitable!:) I can't get them out of my mind! I don't think I could have just one though. For those of you that have just one, how do you think they do? I also think I'd house them in a totally different area of the house. I absolutely do not trust my other birds at all. George, I may be looking for a breeder...gasp, did I just say that??? I did join the Linnie forum. Ok, I've totally lost my mind I know I have but these guys are just so darn cute!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yes check out the linnie forum, I am a mod there and it's a great little community to learn about linnies. I rarely see linnies for adoption, I think it's because not a lot of people know about them so they are not being over bred yet. I hope it stays that way. I got Napoleon from a rescue but he is the only one I have really seen around me. Maybe one or two other but they don't come up often at all. I don't even have a local breeder, Sampson came from California.

They are such wonderful birds!
but I am a little biased;)
View attachment 103788
Crystal, he's SO beautiful! Is he a turquoise? All of the mutations are enough to make my head spin! LOL!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Whaaaat!? No, you don't want LINNIES. :eek:

For one thing, they are VERY aloof and unfriendly. :sad8:

View attachment 103787

And they hate to get wet, so they never bathe and are always STINKY! Pee yew! :scared6:

[video=youtube;opkq1WosqaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opkq1WosqaU [/video]

They are SUPER picky and won't eat their veggies. :mad:

[video=youtube;Np-FIyEs8yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-FIyEs8yc [/video]

Worst of all? They are B.O.R.I.N.G. They don't play at all! :shrug2:

[video=youtube;3i_0je9gu7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i_0je9gu7Q [/video]

They just sit around all day, being little perch potatoes. :straightface:

[video=youtube;iXXki4gWb1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXki4gWb1o [/video]

They are simply no fun whatsoever. :sleeping4:

Lindsay, they are SO ADORABLE! I can't stand it! Do you find them to be fairly independent? I have two Ekkies who HAVE TO BE ON ME if they're out of their cage...they're terrible that way. Even Kishka RB2 isn't as needy as those Ekkies....sigh. These guys look like they're definitely able to play independently.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Mine was raised with quakers so he thinks he is one. They are also fearless, Boobird goes after other birds toes including the macaws. Just this morning, Boobird chased my grey off me so he could kiss me. They are great little talkers and just love to be around people. Bad traits are that they freeze when scared, so they are a pain in the butt to find. Boobird just stands there as I rip the house apart looking for him. Also they tend to go under things like blankets or pillows, so you have to be very careful to check before you sit. I have had two friends loose their birds this way by accidently sitting on them.
I have friends that are breeders let me know if you want the info.
Ok George, compared to your other birds, Boobird is a breeze right?:)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Bad traits are that they freeze when scared, so they are a pain in the butt to find. Boobird just stands there as I rip the house apart looking for him. Also they tend to go under things like blankets or pillows, so you have to be very careful to check before you sit. I have had two friends loose their birds this way by accidently sitting on them.
They are adorable but I think that fixes it for me. I have a hard enough time worrying about the greenies let alone something even smaller...:scared3:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Crystal, he's SO beautiful! Is he a turquoise? All of the mutations are enough to make my head spin! LOL!
Yes, he is a turquoise. Thank you:) My favorite color is actually the greens. They also have a Mauve color which is grey but looks purple in some light. Absolutely beautiful!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
OMG! You guys are horrible but I think this might be inevitable!:) I can't get them out of my mind! I don't think I could have just one though. For those of you that have just one, how do you think they do? I also think I'd house them in a totally different area of the house. I absolutely do not trust my other birds at all. George, I may be looking for a breeder...gasp, did I just say that??? I did join the Linnie forum. Ok, I've totally lost my mind I know I have but these guys are just so darn cute!
I just approved your post on the linnie forum:D Jen is getting a linnie:dance4::dance4:
:hehe:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Do you find them to be fairly independent? I have two Ekkies who HAVE TO BE ON ME if they're out of their cage...they're terrible that way. Even Kishka RB2 isn't as needy as those Ekkies....sigh. These guys look like they're definitely able to play independently.
They were clingy and always had to be on me when they were younger (I've had them since they weaned themselves at a precocious 7 weeks old), but they're very independent now that they're grown up. I imagine they would be more clingy still if they didn't have each other, but as it is, they do nearly everything together and keep each other entertained. Basil has always been a little more needy than Dorian, and is still my little buddy who gets jealous when I give the other birds attention. He'll come barreling over to try to knock them off my shoulder, then bite my ear to make sure I've noticed him. :rolleyes: And god forbid I try to eat anything in the bird room - I'll have little linnie feet in my bowl, and little linnies honking like angry geese and lunging at me when I try to take a bite.

They definitely think they are bigger than their little spotted britches suggest. I would NEVER trust them around bigger beaks because they are stubborn and territorial.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran

They were clingy and always had to be on me when they were younger (I've had them since they weaned themselves at a precocious 7 weeks old), but they're very independent now that they're grown up. I imagine they would be more clingy still if they didn't have each other, but as it is, they do nearly everything together and keep each other entertained. Basil has always been a little more needy than Dorian, and is still my little buddy who gets jealous when I give the other birds attention. He'll come barreling over to try to knock them off my shoulder, then bite my ear to make sure I've noticed him. :rolleyes: And god forbid I try to eat anything in the bird room - I'll have little linnie feet in my bowl, and little linnies honking like angry geese and lunging at me when I try to take a bite.

They definitely think they are bigger than their little spotted britches suggest. I would NEVER trust them around bigger beaks because they are stubborn and territorial.
I just love your boys:heart:
We all know Sampson is the definition of velcro bird, but he was an only linnie for almost 2 years and I spoil him rotten:lol: But I don't mind it, he is my baby. :heart:

And yes, if you are eating they will have to share your food with you:D

Status
Not open for further replies.