• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Olive ringneck talk?

Kirk667

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Hi I have a olive Indian Rickneck he’s 19 months old and doesn’t say a word I try so hard I talk to him all the time and pay him loads of attention all he does is Squawk and makes other funny noises. Will he ever talk? Or is he just a no talker (either way I love the bones of him)

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
:hello1: :welave:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:welave: :hiya:

shoog

Strolling the yard
Real Name
shoog
I will quote my knowledge on my friend's ringneck and some of the things I research snd read about, if you did not seek the ring on your bird neck and he's around a year and a half then maybe it is a girl, and females are known as much difficult to talk and copy, but if you are sure he's a male in any way, then do not worry or be afraid, ringneck is a wonderful parrot talker and loves to talk a lot and as much, I recommend you to teach him each word in a different situation, for example, if you want to give him a treat say thank you to him, and if you see him bored or just ser ask him what are you doing. Ringneck ( as what I read and see) do NEVER say anything unless there's a reason for it, or it is something like a routine, my friend had this beautiful ringneck bird for almost 7 years now, and from what I'm known of he does actually have a much lot more vocabulary than he shows, but he just like to say a thing in its situation and not randomly, but if your parrot does this sometimes it is actually okay, better even, anyway, also some of the ringnecks start to speak after two years old, do it is fine if he did not, with what you say about giving him much attention I'm sure he would talk much sooner, he's definitely a lucky bird, and he will someday for sure talk, I hope I helped you with my little knowledge i do have, which im sure you already knew, but at last some of it will help.
and welcome to the avenue, Kristy!

Kirk667

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Yes he has a ring but not a full ring? Just on the underneath of his beak and starts fading around the sides at the back of his neck it just not there. I will try that I do most of the time just chat away to him but I will try the other approach to it. If he doesn’t talk it’s not a problem for me I’ll love him all the same. Thanks a lot for your advice I’ve taken it on board and appreciate it. :)

shoog

Strolling the yard
Real Name
shoog
This is a bit of a better photo to show some of his ring
what a beautiful bird! he's so wonderful and more likely a male, I'm pleased to know your loving feelings wouldn't change with anything he does, I already know you do not mind his ability to speak, but I actually hope he does! he seems like he would be a really chatty parrot

Kirk667

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
what a beautiful bird! he's so wonderful and more likely a male, I'm pleased to know your loving feelings wouldn't change with anything he does, I already know you do not mind his ability to speak, but I actually hope he does! he seems like he would be a really chatty parrot
Aww thank you that’s so kind :) Don’t get me wrong it would be brilliant if he does but only time can tell I also have a cockatiel and 2 budgies such a bird lover:D

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Both genders of RNs are pretty good talkers, it may just be that your bird may not be very good at mimicry or just doesn't want to do it. :). Just keep trying and it may happen one day :goodluck: