• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh no blood feathers

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
Bless my little trouble child I'm here again with Jolly the Triton.
I know this isn't a vet I realize that, but sweet little boy has had a tricky blood feather for a bit of time. When I was at work, it must've broke. Just a little bit of blood thank goodness but it already clotted over and is brown. I personally don't want to pull it because Jolly is an incredibly wriggly individual and that poses the opportunity for things to go terribly wrong so if they fall out on their own, then I'd like to just let nature take its course. How do I make it more comfortable for him and get him to stop picking at it? Do I soak it and dab it with animal safe disinfectant for awhile? Poor baby... he's still eating and drinking absolutely fine, but you can tell it mildly irritates him like an itchy scab bothers a kid. :(
(PS: he'll sit still for a bath, but not any sort of medical check or maintenance. So that's how I'd manage to soak if need be)

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Bump

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't put disinfectant on it I don't think. If it starts bleeding again, have some corn starch or something on hand to clot. I took a bird first aid class and the vet said rarely does a blood feather need to be pulled. And really shouldn't unless you have to because it's painful for the bird. She suggested trimming a feather to make if more comfortable for the bird if it's all wonky. Or if it really seems to be a problem, I would have a vet pull it.