• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Official" Opie and Oggie Thread

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Ricky will 'purr' or make an gurgling 'uphill' noise WHEN HE'S HAPPY. When he hisses-- do his eyes flash [as in warning you?]. Or does it come after 'something' happens? ...

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Ricky will 'purr' or make an gurgling 'uphill' noise WHEN HE'S HAPPY. When he hisses-- do his eyes flash [as in warning you?]. Or does it come after 'something' happens? ...
It seems random to me, I've been backing off when he does it, but trying to figure it out.
Like he'll see me and he'll come over to the front of the cage and look at me, talk to me, and seem happy.. then just suddenly throw in a hiss.

Maybe some random sound is bugging him.

As soon as I get a video I'll tag you!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Yes... your description brought it to my memory... They do like to open their beak [frightens some people, understandibly].

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Well Oggie and I definitely have a "thing" going on. He comes over when I call him now.
I really hate him being in that cramped little flight cage all day, so I tried to maybe lure him toward the new cage by sitting behind it and calling him. He clearly wanted to come to me, but still did not want to come to the cage.
Then I was stuck with the dilemma of him being on top of his little cage..

Spent a good half hour slowly working my way up to touching him up there. Got to rub his head again.
Suddenly he stretched out with his beak and I thought I was done for but I didn't want to flinch, and I thought if I'm going to get bit I might as well use the bite as momentum to move him back into one of the cages.
But all he did was grab my finger - how can the same beak be SO horribly painful and so gentle - and pulled my hand toward him so he could taste my fingers.

He didn't really want to step up, I think he was trying to get to my shoulder. We can't allow that yet, so after some arguing back and forth he finally did step on my hand!
I made a mistake because I turned ever so slightly toward the new cage, just meaning to show it to him, and I got a pretty good warning bite for it :(
Bit down and twisted the flesh on my thumb, left a bruise. But I'm really thrilled, because he didn't break the skin! Compared to the first bite from him (which actually took a chunk out of me), I think he was being really respectful!!
And he let go as soon as I turned back the other way.
He also went back into his little cage without biting me again, so I gave him a birdie popcorn.

... Also I turned around and Opie was leaning his head slightly toward the cage bars, letting my boyfriend pet his feathers. :meh:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Oggie is an abusive boyfriend.
He makes kissy noises and says "over here!" then thrusts his head at me. He has feather sheaths I can feel under the top layer so he's clearly using me to get rid of those.

But when I stopped he would raise himself up and look like he was going to try to fly to me. I don't want him to jump and fall, (or land on my shoulder where I really don't trust him) so I offered my hand for a step up.. twice he accepted, and twice he bit me once he was there!
(Score: Oggie - 4, Opie - 1, me - :arghh:)

To be fair it was a softer bite each time, and he let go when I made a pained noise.

Still.
Little jerk.

20210604_191717.jpg 20210604_200502.jpg

It also took a really really long time to trick him into going back into the cage (he still hates the big one), and once I did I'm pretty sure he called down an ancient avian curse upon my bloodline in his native tongue.

Eating a fig newton by his cage is the only thing that makes me worthy of Opie's notice.
20210604_200415.jpg
Hi there.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Use a perch now for step up. Save your fingers & cut down on stress. Poi beaks are not fun & you dont want him to get used to thinking its ok to bite. I got bit by Dolly ery infrequently but it always came as a surprise for no apparent reason.
she loved to be held & scritched. Still when she went into attack mode its not pretty. Sometimes they will get on there backs & wrestle with toys like they are capturing prey & killing it. Pois can be aggressive. I may only have gotten bt 6 times in 3 years but its very traumatic the way they grind into the flesh & don't want to let go.

Still Oggie is really coming around to be alot of fun. Just watch the hands.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Use a perch now for step up. Save your fingers & cut down on stress. Poi beaks are not fun & you dont want him to get used to thinking its ok to bite. I got bit by Dolly ery infrequently but it always came as a surprise for no apparent reason.
she loved to be held & scritched. Still when she went into attack mode its not pretty. Sometimes they will get on there backs & wrestle with toys like they are capturing prey & killing it. Pois can be aggressive. I may only have gotten bt 6 times in 3 years but its very traumatic the way they grind into the flesh & don't want to let go.

Still Oggie is really coming around to be alot of fun. Just watch the hands.
Yes those bites are MEAN. Hard to figure out when he's going to do it, and he likes to twist skin.

I am trying so hard to get him to accept a perch instead!! Any tips?
He is completely terrified of any perch/stick like thing bring near. :(

I tried starting with a chopstick and holding it in my fingers when I give him a treat and he accepts that, but he still goes into fight or flight mode when it sees it by itself.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try target training and using positive reinforcement

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes those bites are MEAN. Hard to figure out when he's going to do it, and he likes to twist skin.

I am trying so hard to get him to accept a perch instead!! Any tips?
He is completely terrified of any perch/stick like thing bring near. :(

I tried starting with a chopstick and holding it in my fingers when I give him a treat and he accepts that, but he still goes into fight or flight mode when it sees it by itself.
Birds like to step UP. Hold the T perch a little higher AND reward once he steps up (good treat). Use high reward treats for this.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Videos for today:

Oggie likes to dip his pellets in his water. I "know" parrots do this, but never saw it before lol. He also eats everything except the red ones.

Opie is finally eating with his feet! He is eating pellets here, but he has also eaten some of the shelled almonds off his treat ring. It has a distinct bare section on it now.

When I was looking for the right bird, my boyfriend kept saying whatever I wanted was fine but he thought we should get a CAG because of how well they talk. When I found out Oggie could talk I thought he would be thrilled, but he kind of shrugged and dismissed him as being "just a mimic" and not having any context.
It's a bit funny though because someone keeps going into the quarantine room when I'm not, and having serious conversations with Oggie.

.. Which has lead to my broken heart.. because I walked in there today and saw this!
Not only is my Opie allowing this - he SOUGHT IT OUT. He climbed right over there, and followed back the other way too.

When Opie and I locked eyes at the rescue, and he seemed to be following me back and forth, and I fell in love with those eyes?
I wasn't at the rescue alone. And I suddenly don't think those eyes were focused on me at all :cry3:
My pretty Opie.. ah well, I just want you to be happy, even if it's not because of me :crycry:

On the other hand, Oggie has started doing his high pitched crying whenever he can't see me. Even if the bf is in there talking to him. He'll be happy and even say "bye bye!" when I walk toward the door, but as soon as I close it behind me he starts calling.

This bird bonding was supposed to go the other way around!! :dead:

-----------
On another note - what is the opinion on whether this is a happy sound, a scared sound, or..??
It's seriously the only sound he makes.
Dobby was supposed to be my bird and at first he'd want scritches and try to feed me, but then he discovered my sister who cooks and does cool things and looks similar to Momazon his mom.
He now spends time sitting on her knee for scritches and flying after her to supervise whatever she's doing. I'm relegated to security and walnut provider. They choose who they choose and with time he may decide you are allowed special time together, or he likes both of you equally and will go to whoever is handy, with a possible preference for the boyfriend.
Dobby doesn't hate me and will step up nicely if asked, he just LUVS sister. Maybe someday he'll even out but he's happy and healthy so that's all that counts.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
When Oggie is out on that perch offer his a high priority treat with one hand & hold a small perch near him in the other. First hold the perch at a distance & slowly bring closer. Try to get him to focus on the treat & learn eventually that the perch won;t hurt him. Then work up to treat in one hand hold high & not too close & offer the perch with the other hand so that he has to reach over the perch eventually step up on it to get the treat. Slowly work up in small steps but that is a desensitization tech I have used.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Opie and Oggie were both pacing a bit so.. both cages are open. Towel nearby just in case.
And Oggie's bigger cage ready for either of them to explore.

Oggie hasn't come out yet but Opie is a bit frustrated to find the food dish only works one way.

20210605_184826.jpg 20210605_184833.jpg 20210605_184940.jpg

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm definitely still confused about what they want from me though.

Oggie with his flirting that ends in bites, and

Opie.. he looks almost as relaxed, he drinks and eats in front of me, takes treats, comes over to beg.. but I just offered him a ball to play with and after he took it he put it down and tried to lash at me.

Someday..

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Go slow as they are still very new to the new home & yourself. Interact only with intent to avoid bites.
It hurts your trust & sets up the idea that biting is OK.
Best to keep your hands safe.

Does Oggie bite when offered treats? Then for now just put them in his bowl.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Go slow as they are still very new to the new home & yourself. Interact only with intent to avoid bites.
It hurts your trust & sets up the idea that biting is OK.
Best to keep your hands safe.

Does Oggie bite when offered treats? Then for now just put them in his bowl.
No they both take treats really well thankfully!

I was fast enough that Opie didn't get me (so he's still only bitten the once) but kind of confused about what I did to trigger it since I was giving him plenty of space and just offering the toy from a distance.

All of Oggie's bites have been me being too trusting cause he's so tricky.
Only one was bad, the other few didn't do any real damage, but I'm going to be much more careful with him. No more head scritches outside the bars if he's going to get pushy with me.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ik that oggie is still afraid of his cage, but did opie go into his bigger cage yet? I may have missed it but just curious

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't have a bigger one for Opie yet, sadly. Getting more space for Oggie was more urgent and I ended up only being able to find that used one. I'd rather not buy another used one in the long run (unless I can find one that is really well taken care of).
Opie's is bigger than the "minimums" suggested by the rescue for a bird of his size - but of course I expected him to be out of the cage more than he has been :( I'm trying to re-think the room with more play opportunities for a no-touch bird.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Ok, but I just want to say that u are doing a great job at making them feel welcome and comfortable

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm definitely still confused about what they want from me though.
but I just offered him a ball to play with and after he took it he put it down and tried to lash at me.
These are wild animals, you know? Things can EAT them and they know it. I'm amazed Opie took the ball so he's working on it but GIVE HIM TIME! Secret is confident enough to lean away from new toys now but I bet in the early days I'd have gotten nailed.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm definitely still confused about what they want from me
I like the mantra, "fear free, choice rich", as perceived by our birds, to guide our actions.

Perch A? No.
Perch B? No.
Perch C? Yes.
Treat A or B? neither.
Treat C or D? C please.
Bath today? Nope.
Spray today? Nope.
... maybe tomorrow then.

Always a question, never a command (unless they're in imminent danger, then... take charge).

That said, it's entirely possible they don't want anything from you right now.

So keep them safe, and fed and watered, and go about your day.

Eventually, or before you know it even, you'll be posting threads like this.