• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Official" Opie and Oggie Thread

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Can Oggie fly?
He cannot fly (yet). He has jumped off his playstand twice in the past month though, and he's been able to glide further each time, so he might be working on it. :wideyed:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
He cannot fly (yet). He has jumped off his playstand twice in the past month though, and he's been able to glide further each time, so he might be working on it. :wideyed:
That's good. Maybe when he flies you could train him to fly to you? I was thinking it works for me with a quaker at my rescue.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
That's good. Maybe when he flies you could train him to fly to you? I was thinking it works for me with a quaker at my rescue.
:laughin: :laughing7: :laughin:

Train him? She'll have to be under a tent to avoid him if he starts flying!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I think I am ready to let this thread retire - unless some major break through happens to warrant resurrecting it.

I made no actual progress with Opie this month, and it makes me sad to deny him other interactions, so boyfriend is officially allowed to scritch him again.
It really sucks that he won't trust me at all, something about me? I'll just keep singing to him and caring for him, but I have no expectations of this changing any time soon, if at all.
I still worry that he might be happier somewhere else - where his chosen person can give him more than my boyfriend can - but it would also be really hard to part with him. Even though I don't get to pet or play with him, I love him.

Oggie is my fun guy but I also don't think we will see any progress any time soon with his biting. Since all my previous wounds are healed, yesterday when he lifted his foot at me and clearly wanted to step up - I let him. The second he got both feet on my finger he bit down hard into my thumb. Back to square one with "what in the heck is triggering him?"
Again, I'll keep working with him - but I have no real expectations of this changing! We'll continue our scritching but no holding relationship.

Maybe they will both get more confidence and handle things better when their flights come in. Or maybe they will attack me and have to get trimmed.. if it comes to that it will probably be its own post :shifty:

Thank you guys for coming on this journey with me of bringing them home and settling them in!! I have learned so much from them and I am excited to see how they continue to grow in our family, but nothing new has evolved in months so I think 20 pages of updates is good enough for now :D

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:Sad, but we all really an have no expectations from our flock. We just accept them & care for them.

No idea why Oggie is so find of chomping. I had a poi once & luckily the vicious chomps were not often but still unexplainable. I would only use a perch to handle or transport them. Do you think it has anything to do with competition/ jealousy from Opie?

Best thing you can do is work with them away from each other.
Take Oggie to another room & set up a training place. Someplace which he can't call his own or defend.
Someplace where he needs you. His cage close by or Opie could be entering into his behavior.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
sorry to hear you feel you haven’t made any headway with Opie. But you have , just not the way you were hoping…

we had a cockatiel that landed on our balcony 35 years ago, I rescued him from outside, fed and gave him water, only saw me for the first hour, then I had to go back to work, left a note for hubby of the loose bird in the living room as the cage was occupied by our other tiel, and I was not about to put them in together….

long story short Corky only had eyes for hubby the entire 28 years he was with us. Would not even let me pick him up and only gave me the time of day if I had chips or spaghetti noodles. The entire 28 years! He would bite me if I tried to pick him up, could not get him back in the cage if hubby was not around etc. And yet I’m the one who fed him daily, cleaned his cage and tried to give him treats which he would not take from me…:banghead::banghead:

but he did seem happy until his last day, though just not with me. So even though I loved the butthead, I had to live with not even being able to be second choice, but he was happy and ultimately that’s what mattered.

now I have Bailey who is the first bird that thinks the sun rises and sets with me and hubby is second choice, so you never know…keep hope and enjoy every little crumb he gives you, all the crumbs make one nice loaf of bread eventually.

been there….
:heart: :heart:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They go by their own rules and pick who they will. If you're the "other" just hope they don't get homicidal towards you. Dobby thinks the sun rises and sets in my sister, I'm just protection and walnut provider. He does not hate me and will step up nicely and doesn't bite, he just wants his scritches and shoulder time from her. Lurch chose me but was OK with her and she could scritch and he'd land on her to supervise cooking. Nerd loved me but he and her had special times together that was just for them.
Keep gently working at it and Camelotshadows suggestion is a good idea.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww! Don't utter the word 'retire'... I will be waiting for Opie-oggie pics and news... And, in my opinion, we never should abandon hope. Let's keep our fingers crossed. :heart:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I just know, every time this thread was presented... I read it, and it would make my heart go out to you for the trials [and Band-Aids] they put you thru!
Please keep us updated... we will travel thru both the good, and the bad-times with you! :hug2: