• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Official" Opie and Oggie Thread

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You just have to keep gently working at it and eventually he'll realize your ok besides your boyfriend. Like I've said find something he likes to do with you even if he's the one who picks it. Nerd had things only he and my sister did together. Lurch liked both of us but I was his chosen one, Dobby LOVES sister but will step up fine for me and gets walnuts and protection from me. I think you're trying the right thing and he'll just be resistant for a while.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Yeah that is my thought process..
I'd love us all to be equal buddies, but maybe that's not possible.
I *think* its best for Opie if I can push him into liking me since I'm his caregiver, but I keep worrying that my motivation is flawed.

If a month goes by with no progress then I just have to back off and let them pal up again..
I was thinking a month of bf ignoring him would not be enough... :(

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah it might not be, just trying to see if there is any hint of progress at all before re-evaluating.
It might be my imagination but he didn't threaten to bite me as much yesterday as I expected and he actually came toward me a few times.
Still clearly hoping for attention from the guy wandering around behind me but hey lol

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I worry about Opie too much.
His feet are looking less flakey I think, but now his feathers seem kind of dingy to me. I know he is continually molting but I don't want to ignore it and then find out he is Ill.

First troubleshooting step is to try again to get him a good bath..
So, since he hates being sprayed and he doesn't dunk himself when I offer a bowl, I put him on Oggie's play stand and gradually moved it into the shower.
No water really got on him yet, today I was just exposing him to the noise and steam so he gets comfy with it.

Which leads to this episode of "Mixed Signals?" aka "Why am I the only person who can't seem to read their Amazon"

In the shower by himself he moved to a perch as far away from the water as possible and would not come closer even for a peanut.
This was expected.
Pic is from that moment, I think he's clearly like 'what the heck are you about to do to me'. He relaxed a bit after eating his peanut.

When I turned the water off for awhile he still avoided any perches that had been near the spray, but he didn't seem particularly agitated from that position.. just his lazy perch potato self, so I opted to proceed.

I sat in there and sang to him a bit, no reactions.

Then I decided to just get in since I needed a shower anyway. I moved the stand to the very back of the shower and he predictably scooted even further away from my hands. Kept singing but he just stared at me.
(Note, I do try not to stare at HIM, I usually glance away and back or close my eyes periodically when singing to him).

Then I turned my back on him and washed my hair while still singing, and when I turned around again he was on the close perch.

After that I noticed on the higher/louder notes he flared his tail. The more I sang the more he added other behaviors in reaction to those notes- tail flare, fluffed head, click in the back of his throat, then finally a short noise that sounded almost like he was going to start his laughing?

I know logically these can all be signs of EITHER good excitement or tension/warning behavior.
Am I good to assume it was positive since he didn't move away to the back of the stand again?
But he still clearly backs away if I put my hand near him.
Also I'm really BAD at singing. Especially those higher notes. I do not hit them at all and I would never sing like that to a human, their ears would bleed.

Does he like bad singing? Or was he trying to tell me to turn off the wretched yowling?!

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I've lived with Amazons for years.

I can't sing but I've noticed Secret gets agitated over playing music on the tv or video.

Just enjoy him or you'll drive yourself loopy!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Ha, your post reminds me of that youtube video were the amazon parrot attacks a violinist. I have personally read an amazon parrot wrong and paid the price... so I won't say anything but good job for paying attention to his body language!:)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
By the way, he's beautiful.

Secret has tiny feathers everywhere right now. Caught her preening herself with a LONG feather last night. It's the season.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah I guess I just won't understand him :roflmao:

I *think* he likes singing because that's one of the only times he laughs and talks - when the tv shows either screaming and blood or musicals.
And he usually moves to a place where he can see me better when I do it.
But maybe he hates it and that's actually why he doesn't like me much lol

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
It takes time, after some time together you'll start to understand his noises and body language. Pionus are the same way, they'll tell you how they feel if you understand their language. Nerd and I understood each other perfectly but he was with us from 79 to 2009 and we totally trusted each other and I could do things with him that would have gotten anyone else shredded. Keep working at it and try not to vet too many bad bites till you reach a understanding with each other.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sounds like all in all it was positive. You got him into the bathroom & shower which are all new things for him so it's understandable he'd be leery & confused. Seems like he took it all in all rather well.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Same bathroom event occurred with me and Inca also LOL... But Inca is a huge fan of music, especially indian classical music. Music really has a calming effect on them.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Clueless , Secret is a real secret birdie... She never allows you to take her photo... Come on, Secret, we want to see you. Never seen a good recent photo :lol:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
It takes time, after some time together you'll start to understand his noises and body language. Pionus are the same way, they'll tell you how they feel if you understand their language. Nerd and I understood each other perfectly but he was with us from 79 to 2009 and we totally trusted each other and I could do things with him that would have gotten anyone else shredded. Keep working at it and try not to vet too many bad bites till you reach a understanding with each other.
I'm very thankful that OPIE hasn't truly bitten me. He has lashed out and drawn blood twice, but once (the worst one) was before I even brought him home. Compared to Oggie I wouldn't even call them "bites".

But most of the time he makes it real obvious that he *will* bite if I get close :(

Probably not good for our relationship either way, making him mad enough to threaten, but I can't seem to judge how close he is going to let me get from one day to the next. Sometimes I can touch his foot through the cage while I talk to him, other days he snaps at me just for trying to fill his food bowl. :meh:

Oggie, now him I actually understand.. he's just a total psycho. :laugh:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Pionus have happy fluffs and angry fluffs so it can be confusing too. Usually the eyes and tail expanding give it away. They also have a hormonal strut with tail, wings, and bead fluffed/flared, head bowed down Making noise while they strut across the cage top or other area, that is a no touch time unless you really like being bitten. I could touch Nerd mid strut, I could also reach into his cage, he didn't like it but I was allowed. I tried not to abuse his trust and dignity so I didn't do it often. Ya gotta respect their home and boundaries.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I'm very thankful that OPIE hasn't truly bitten me. He has lashed out and drawn blood twice, but once (the worst one) was before I even brought him home. Compared to Oggie I wouldn't even call them "bites".

But most of the time he makes it real obvious that he *will* bite if I get close :(

Probably not good for our relationship either way, making him mad enough to threaten, but I can't seem to judge how close he is going to let me get from one day to the next. Sometimes I can touch his foot through the cage while I talk to him, other days he snaps at me just for trying to fill his food bowl. :meh:

Oggie, now him I actually understand.. he's just a total psycho. :laugh:
I'm so unhappy that Oggie has you 'played'... I know Steve's Senegal 'Captain Green'... was so unhappy w/ him when we brought our Timneh rescue home-- he missed the extra cuddly time, and became vengeful...
Q-- will he accept treats from your hand? [Can't remember].

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm so unhappy that Oggie has you 'played'... I know Steve's Senegal 'Captain Green'... was so unhappy w/ him when we brought our Timneh rescue home-- he missed the extra cuddly time, and became vengeful...
Q-- will he accept treats from your hand? [Can't remember].
Yup, they both will take treats from my hand! Just can't get Opie to reliably accept my hand being in sight without one.
And Oggie takes touching and head/neck scritches no problem. We mostly only have the biting issues if he actually steps on my hand or body. Which he tries all the time to do. He's nuts.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup, they both will take treats from my hand! Just can't get Opie to reliably accept my hand being in sight without one.
And Oggie takes touching and head/neck scritches no problem. We mostly only have the biting issues if he actually steps on my hand or body. Which he tries all the time to do. He's nuts.
I luuuuuv his cute 'Oggie' word, which you told he uses for a shoulder position

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Found out Opie and Oggie both recognize and love spaghetti noodles. :xflove:

Also working from home is dangerous.
My boyfriend is now working from home too. He was jacking around being a toddler and playing with a tape measure. I turned around to see what annoying thing he was poking me with and it almost took my eye out.

Oggie on his stand next to my desk instantly CRACKED up. He cackled at my pain for 5 whole minutes.
All my birds (except the budgie boys) are evil!

Anywhere here is Oggie playing with a paper towel.

Attachments

Last edited: