• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent odd changes in droppings

kinkachou

Moving in
(A continuation of this thread change in zebra finch song? -- his status changed later that day.)

Heads up-- there are some graphic images included in this post!

I brought Zeebo into the vet this morning because literally 3 hours after I'd made the above post, the appearance of his droppings started changing. At first there was just a tad more urine than usual, and I'd attributed it to the fact that I'd given him some watery foods (boiled pumpkin, cucumber)... but, it persisted-- and later into the evening, it worsened. His feces became runny and pretty diminished in quantity, and he had a movement where only urine (cloudy with urates) was passed, which I've never seen a bird do. I freaked, but given these urine-only movements happened twice at most and his behavior was otherwise normal, I decided to keep a close eye on him later that night and through yesterday.

As the day went on yesterday, all of this seemed to resolve. I fed him his normal diet of pellets and seeds, no new foods. His feces became formed again and the polyuria was occasional. I figured we were in the clear... and then it started again, around the same time of day it had the first time. It seemed worse: the instances where he produced only urine were more frequent, at one point happening 3 times in the span of two minutes. He seemed a little more tired than usual, and he would often go to start singing but stop suddenly. Given that this issue lasted beyond 24 hours, I called and got an appointment for this morning.

Today's physical exam was apparently excellent. Stool samples for ova/parasites are pending, but what really worried me this morning was the color of a few of the droppings he'd passed this morning. I have attached images of these to this post. The first also shows that cloudy urine he'd been producing intermittently. Of course... now things appear almost normal again. The vet wants me to monitor closely for 48-72 hours and thinks it may just be stress from change in the environment, given we only got him a little less than two weeks ago.

It would be helpful to get some input on the color of the pictured droppings, though. Should I be concerned for his liver or kidneys? Stool samples for detecting ova and parasites are not going to show his liver or renal function.

Images of droppings below: 20230802_081222.jpg 20230802_081207.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

kinkachou

Moving in
Ova and parasites came back today-- negative. Only two of those that were tested for seem to be common in birds, however. Admittedly, the exotics vet I saw was not an avian vet-- I am aware that this is not ideal, it was a matter of limited access and the need for a timely initial physical exam. Given the fact that what I brought him in for persists, I may ask for a referral to one of the avian vets taking consults in the area for further investigation.

The polyuria seems to keep happening at around 5 PM almost on the dot-- I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that he starts eating his pellets then? He receives a mixture of seeds and pellets and has a clear preference for the seed, so he eats it first... then when there's none left, he switches. I've seen it mentioned here that pellets can cause polydipsia (which I am starting to observe) and polyuria in parrots-- not sure if that applies to finches as well. Does this theory seem at all feasible? Any advice would be helpful.

Haven't posted a picture of the little guy yet, so here's a photo I snapped of him getting ready to nap on my laptop the last time I let him out :heart: 20230730_135037.jpg

kinkachou

Moving in
Vet said that if this persists into this upcoming week, he wants to check an avian fecal panel (?? why was this not done first, given that he's a bird??), and test for psittacosis (the tech said "chlamydia"-- I cant think of any other chlamydia that affects birds that isn't C. psittaci).