• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not sure if lutino is M or F

CinnaBunz94

Moving in
Real Name
Cindy
Hello, everyone! I have a young 4 month old lutino cockatiel named Cello. Me, my boyfriend, and also the breeder that sold Cello to us all assumed that it's a female. Visually, she has barred yellow lines (tail feathers) and yellow spots on her flight feathers. Recently, she has been very vocal the past few days. I would also catch her "talking" to her favorite toy. It's gotten to the point where I'm determined that Cello is actually a male. I'm aware that Cello is still too young and hasn't fully matured yet. What do you guys think? Has anyone here have lutino cockatiels of their own and can help me?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
She/he is so cute ! As far as I know, You cannot tell unless you know the parents mutations, or until he/she molts (age 6-9 months the molt starts) then you check to see if any of the striped feathers have dissapeared. If any feathers come back without stripes, it's a male. Behaviour alone makes me think male but as always, behaviours are never 100% accurate =). Does he/she ever do heart wings or whistles ? More behaviours may pop up which can help you guess better. But maybe @Monica would know more , she's more advanced on tiel mutations then me :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you ask the breeder what mutation the parents are? Or get pictures of them?

Any chance of pictures of the spots on the wings? (all feathers)

PetLover0489

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sharinda
Hi, this is Mango! I bought him from the local pet store a few months ago and they could not guarantee age (said no oler than a year) or sex! They advertised as a white-faced cockatiel but after some looking up I dont think that is the case at all! He is also still really scared! Please any thoughts will help! Male or female? Age? What do I do to get him used to me? 20190327_194010.jpg 20190327_194153.jpg 20190327_193540.jpg 20190327_193424.jpg 20190327_193342.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@PetLover0489 Not as good with the "par-blue" mutations... there's pastelface, sex-linked yellowcheek and dominant yellowcheek. I would guess you probably have pastelface chick.

Cockatiel Patterns Mutations

It may help if you had created your own thread so more people see your question.

Based on what I do see, he does appear to be a young male, would could easily put him within the 4-12 month age range.... looks like he's already gone through or started his first molt. He may always have a dirty face due to the pied gene.

As far as getting him used to you.... millet! Try feeding him millet by hand first thing in the morning. Depending on how comfortable he is, you either need to try offering it through the cage bars or through the cage door.

I would suggest dumping those wooden dowels and replacing them with natural wood/rope perches instead. The dowels are not healthy for their feet. Please get rid of any sandpaper covers as well. Paper is best at the bottom of the cage as it makes it easier to monitor their droppings. It could be black and white newspaper, newsprint, brown paper, butcher paper, craft paper.... just some sort of paper.

I would also suggest moving the cage away from the snake enclosure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would suggest dumping those wooden dowels and replacing them with natural wood/rope perches instead. The dowels are not healthy for their feet.
The swing is ok because it moves. Not all dowel is bad, but like Monica said, there must be a variety of perches. Natural Y branches are cheap.

Paper is best at the bottom of the cage as it makes it easier to monitor their droppings
It is also cheaper, and easier for you to clean ;)

The sandpaper is very bad. Also if you look, when your bird stands on it, it is touching the fleshy feet and not the nails. A pedi perch with a smooth side is the best.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Slowly convert him to a healthier diet and he will become more brave to eat seeds from your hand. If he is fed seed all day, why does he need courage to come to you. Not to mention , this is not healthy for him. Do be careful and make sure he is eating healthy before removing all seed during his healthy food meal(s).