• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not letting me give treats or get close, just bites.

nsbkatie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
katie
I just got him the other day, and i left him to sit where he could see me and get adjusted. This morning i tried to slowly give him a treat, which he completely ignored and went straight for my hand to bite. I want to give him treats just to make him have a positive view of me, but i dont know what to do if he wont take them. There isnt really anyway i can get him out of the cage at the moment.

Also, the woman who i got him from had no toys in his cage (which since he has no trust in me, im worried will just make him more nervous) and didn't really spend any time with him and is nearly an adult.

I just need a few suggestions for how i can start to build his trust, and get him to take treats and see that im not a threat.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new bird! You should keep your hands away from him because he's probably scared of them. He's still very new, and it might take him months to settle in and get comfortable. You just need to start out very slowly in a non threatening manner. Let him get used to his surroundings first. Try putting treats in his food cup every time you walk by. Maybe avoid eye contact at first. If he is comfortable having you near, you can sit near his cage and read to him. He might be afraid of toys, so put them near his cage where he can get used to them for a week or so before you put them in his cage. Also, don't put too many in at once. With everything you do, just think baby steps. Patience is key. If he tries to bite, you are doing things before he is ready. You don't want to teach him to bite! Good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Give him time to settle in. For now, spend time sitting with him as Tiel Feathers suggested. :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome!
I concur. He needs some time to get to know his new home and you.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Welcome , I can't add any thing to the good advice ,but I'd love to know what kind of bird. Good luck with him. Let us know how it goes

Gale M

Moving in
Real Name
Gale
I have a 1.5 yr old female Green Cheek Conure that I recently adopted because her owner was afraid of her; she had been kept with a male.
She is a biter, but I do check point training and clicker training two or three times a day and offer a head scratch but she is not yet ready. She is not afraid of me because on the occasions she got out, she flew around and then landed on me once and took a treat, and another time, later the same day, onto the table perch with my baby conure Gazoo, taking a treat as well this time but won't let me touch her.

Time will wear her down. She has toys and a net I crocheted that she sleeps on, and they all get foraging and foot toys daily as well. The other bird is a parrotlet.