• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night frights

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
So my budgies had a night fright when I accidentally bumped their cage, and it was pretty scary. What do you do when this happens? Usually I turn on the light and take off the cover(although I only cover when the light is on) and try to talk in a soft voice, but is there anything else I can do to help stop the crazy flying as fast as possible? I want to decrease the chance of injury when they get a night fright

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Can you position the cage so you're less likely to bump it? As unhelpful as it may sound, that is the best way to decrease the likelihood of scaring them.

Kori

Walking the driveway
I use a nightlight, but I think if I bumped the cage it would still be scary.
They’re so much more jumpy at nighttime.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
One thing that's hard to practice, but my birds do end up freaking out enough that I do have opportunities to do so is to to use a soothing voice and calming words.

Esme traps herself in their going out cage every now and then and she's started getting responsive when I look at her and say, "hey there, you're fine, everything is fine." (or whatever your version of "there, there" is). I find that if I use my voice and body language to convey, "you're fine, I'm fine, we're all fine. I'm here and I can help you out of this scary situation, which is, of course, fine" they are starting to respond to that. :)

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Can you position the cage so you're less likely to bump it? As unhelpful as it may sound, that is the best way to decrease the likelihood of scaring them.
I would, but I can't. Their cage is currently a table top cage as their other cage is being fixed :( it's the only place where I can put it

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find that a nightlight helps too.