• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nico only likes my shoulder and hair

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
Hello all, when I have Nico out of his cage, he doesn't want to play or be off of me(my shoulder). He only wants to climb in my hair on my shoulder. He doesn't bite or get aggressive or anything. He knows step up but will not do it when on my shoulder. If I keep my elbow pointed down so he can't walk up my arm, he jumps to my chest from my hand. Treats don't work either. Any suggestions? I want to play and stuff with him while he's out of the cage, but he's always on a mission to my shoulder and hair.

cheryls

Strolling the yard
Real Name
cheryl
My bird used to do that also. She knew where to position herself that I could not get her to step up. She’d run to the other shoulder or grab my hair. Sometimes I’ve had to pull her off my hair to put her back in her cage .

Ya it annoyed me but I couldn’t get her to stop, even with treats

I bought a good play gym so she could be next to me, waste of money because she would t stay on the thing.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
:welcomeflag:Nico. What kind of conure are you? How old are you? Do you have any cool pics? Your owner was smart to pick you and Avian Avenue. We love sharing, supporting and learning.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That's how my Sergei is too! Seems his whole mission every day is to spend as much time as possible on my shoulder! I've basically given up trying to change this. I do dishes, run the vacuum, fold laundry, mop floors, just about anything but cook with him glued to my shoulder. Long as he's happy, I can deal with it!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So it's either Nico gets to do what "he" likes for a short period of time out of his day. Or he has to do what "you" want.

Who are we trying to make happy?

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
LSA - Nico is a yellow sided green cheek, with the more red:) such a cutie and a cuddle bug. He loves to lay on his back. I just wish sometimes he would want to play and not be in my hair but it's still cute. here are some pics. Nico will be 8 weeks tomorrow. His birthday is 10/10/18

Attachments

Last edited:

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
My bird used to do that also. She knew where to position herself that I could not get her to step up. She’d run to the other shoulder or grab my hair. Sometimes I’ve had to pull her off my hair to put her back in her cage .

Ya it annoyed me but I couldn’t get her to stop, even with treats

I bought a good play gym so she could be next to me, waste of money because she would t stay on the thing.

LOL, I was thinking of doing this..

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
So it's either Nico gets to do what "he" likes for a short period of time out of his day. Or he has to do what "you" want.

Who are we trying to make happy?

There are plenty of people who wish they had your "problem."

Is he just not cuddly enough for you or what? He's only 8 weeks old...

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
There are plenty of people who wish they had your "problem."

Is he just not cuddly enough for you or what? He's only 8 weeks old...
Um, I didn't say it was a problem, and he is plenty cuddly... not sure where the hostility is coming from.. I was just seeing if others conures were like this and see if anyone had any suggestions on how to get him to step up while on the shoulder, and if there was anything I could do to get him to also want to play. I LOVE that he is cuddly and wants to be with me, never said it was a problem, just wanted some insight.........

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Cuddly is good! Sergei gives me kisses, fixes my hair how he likes it best, and whispers in my ear! If sitting on my shoulder is what he enjoys most, then it's all good by me! He'll sit there while I sit on the floor playing with Lucy or Next but he won't give up his favorite spot. I sew, crochet, and make jewelry while Sergei supervises! If I drop something, he says Uh-oh! People are used to him making comments while I'm talking on the phone too. He pulls on my sleeve to go potty and has never had an accident on me! trust me, it's a blessing to have a little guy love you that much!

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
Cuddly is good! Sergei gives me kisses, fixes my hair how he likes it best, and whispers in my ear! If sitting on my shoulder is what he enjoys most, then it's all good by me! He'll sit there while I sit on the floor playing with Lucy or Next but he won't give up his favorite spot. I sew, crochet, and make jewelry while Sergei supervises! If I drop something, he says Uh-oh! People are used to him making comments while I'm talking on the phone too. He pulls on my sleeve to go potty and has never had an accident on me! trust me, it's a blessing to have a little guy love you that much!
I do love how cuddly he is. It melts my heart:) He's sleeping on my right now, actually. We haven't gotten to potty training yet. How did you go about that? He hasn't any accidents on me yet, but has off of me. He leans pretty far. I'm new to the bird thing, so this is all new to me.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
They generally shake their little bums before dropping. I kept taking Sergei to his cage top when he did that. As soon as he did what he needed to do, I'd let him climb right back on my shoulder. Birds are smart! He figured out what was going on in a couple weeks. I'm working on getting Newt potty trained right now. He just goes no matter where he is! So as soon as the bum shakes, beeline for the cage! ;)

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
They generally shake their little bums before dropping. I kept taking Sergei to his cage top when he did that. As soon as he did what he needed to do, I'd let him climb right back on my shoulder. Birds are smart! He figured out what was going on in a couple weeks. I'm working on getting Newt potty trained right now. He just goes no matter where he is! So as soon as the bum shakes, beeline for the cage! ;)
thanks, I'll have to try that. I'm so excited for the future with Nico. I've wanted a bird for a long time now. The fact that he already likes me so much is amazing. I look forward to trying to train him and soak up his love. Good luck with Newts potty training (love the name)

Choxspr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
I had an M2 and every time I saw her poop I'd say "Poooop!" in a cute way. Pretty soon it got so I could hold her over paper and say "poop!" and she would go.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That is awesome!!!
I had an M2 and every time I saw her poop I'd say "Poooop!" in a cute way. Pretty soon it got so I could hold her over paper and say "poop!" and she would go.

RiccaE

Strolling the yard
Oh, that's great!! When I see Nico poop in his cage I say "poopy", so good to know that may help with potty training. Do yours love to chatter themselves to sleep? It's so cute. Nico gets noisy around 2 pm and about 10 pm every night talks himself to sleep.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
We are working on the poop command. I’ve instructed my husband, do not let Keoki out of his cage until he’s had his morning poop, especially that one. And before we pick him up will tell him “go poop” and he does. We haven’t mastered it completely but it’s a work in progress.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Um, I didn't say it was a problem, and he is plenty cuddly... not sure where the hostility is coming from.. I was just seeing if others conures were like this and see if anyone had any suggestions on how to get him to step up while on the shoulder, and if there was anything I could do to get him to also want to play. I LOVE that he is cuddly and wants to be with me, never said it was a problem, just wanted some insight.........
I’d like it if Keoki would sit in my lap, but he’d rather be on my shoulder too, and his nails are sharp.cement perch on the way! But I am very tickelish so I walk around going about my day with this bird on my shoulder laughing every time he snuzzels my neck or hair. :loltears: Sometimes it unbearable for me.