• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to forum- Problems with Quaker

BluQuaker

Meeting neighbors
Hi all!
First I want to apologize because english is not my first language, and is definetly not perfect. I have been reading this forum for several months now and you have helped me a lot. I am more or less a new parrot owner, Charlie joined our family in june last year and he still wasn't weaned back then.
He has brought us a lot of joy so far and is just the perfect bird. He is a blue Quaker parrot.
Unfortunately the health problems started a little less than two months ago. He got an ear infection at the end of February. Of course i took him to vet immediately he got ear drops and antibiotic (Dexy, because he got enterococcus), and after two weeks it was cleared. By the time ear recovered his behavior became strange. He was often napping during the day, he became very quiet, woudn't fly much. The vet assumed he was exhausted after the treatment and suggested Anima strath in combination with food and probiotic. He really did recover (it was mid March) but after only two weeks problems started again. He stopped eating pellets and only eat fruits and veggies. His stool became watery and we tried with probiotics again, polyuria stopped but his appetite did not recover. Worst of all he started to regurgitate, and it's usually when he is out playing he will all of the sudden get sick, all plushy, throw up a little bit and then continue playing :( It really makes me so sad. His behavior is normal now. He dose fly and is his loud crazy self.:cheer:
I took him to vet again last Friday and he took crop sample. He said it has lots of bacteria and we are waiting for results. He prescribed Sulfamidin for now and say it shouldn't be life threatening but we are waiting for results to see what bacteria he have. One thing that makes me worried the most is the fact he was 136g and lost 10grams after all of this started. He won't eat pellet nor seeds, only tiny bit of carrots eggs or strawberries. the only thing he really eats is pasta and rice but he can't live on those.
Dose anyone has similar experience or any advice what food to give him?
Back in the day he would eat anything... I'm really worried about him.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi, I'm so sorry Charlie is is sick. We have several quakers folk here, and several members with experience and knowledge with sick ones.

First excellent that you have gotten him quickly to avian veterinarian! They are your best resource.

An ear infection....I've not heard that one in a long time too me it kinda sounds like he didn't completely clear that , or being down and out let his health get compromised by other invaders.

Doxycycline is a great first choice antibiotics it's broad spectrum and doesn't usually cause a secondary yeast overgrowth of crop or gi.
But if avain Chlamydia was a possibility it takes 45 days of doxycycline to clear sn infection , and sometimes a relapse sbd second 45 days treatment. Though I'm not sure ears are linked with it. But AC does effect sinus and while bold often causes green polyuria...again just sharing not diagnosis him with that or anything, I'm not a vet.

When birds are sick , they do tend to loose interest in food and drop weight . And if they have crop imbalance, or crop pain or sinus pain , they often want soft foods.

So you can Dampen bs pellets in warm water til they exposed and crumble a little. Then you try mixing in your scrambled egg. A baked sweet potato mashed up sbd served warm is often well liked! It's a good source of vitamin A. You can also try mixing it with your soften up pellets .

Cook or steam your veggies he might like them better soft.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Softened pellets, Harrison's Bird bread (or homemade pellet based bread), or baby hand feeding formula can all help get food nutrients into them and are generally well received. I would make it about oatmeal or applesauce consistency and give on a spoon.

You could also use baby food purees that are just veggies or fruits. :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

BluQuaker

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys, thank you so much for lovely replies! Happy to be here! :)
I followed your advices and he did eat some of soften pellets with eggs, some cooked carrots and sweet potato. When he got tired of eating he knocked down his bowl as usual...:wacky:
He didn't vomit today so i think it's a good sign.

Vet called me, his results came back and he has candida and another bacteria in his crop, ear is clear, he will tell me tomorrow which one and he will get full therapy.
Do you guys have any experience with candida?

@Pixiebeak I think you are right, his health definitely got compromised. I think it's especially hard for him since he's going through puberty... :confused:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Sorry you little one is going through this

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yes I e had several rounds with heart overgrowth through the years , especially post antibiotics.

And yes vomiting and reluctance to eat was a Hallmark. Tho often more passive regurgitation. Where they would est a little then bend over sbd ket fall out . Or a little post eating . It would smell a little like spoilt milk.

Very easy treated with Nystatin. They are recovered before a week I believe.

I've had great luck preventing this while antibiotics by feeding a little plain Greek yogurt with live acidophilus culture. Must not have artificial sweetener! I'd feed a half teaspoon to a teaspoon daily or every other day while antibiotics and a few days after. Mine love it , all if my flock including budgies. The first time I offered I out in my finger tip and offered . Let them taste then they lick it all up. Or I touched beak tip with a dsb and waited . Now I can put on a plate sbd they eat it. I still offer to this day , occasionally when I'm eating it.

I think offering a little while he gets treated would be good. I promise is safe , I've doe for over 20 years. Must not have artificial sweetener tho! Some people feel may
Do nothing. But I've seen the poop improve by the next day!

wgrn do we get to see your baby,?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
If he is molting, it is extra hard on them. Molts are a huge drain on them if not in good health or nutrition. Often hidden health issues show up during molts.

You can research science articles in molts. It's crazy what happens to their bodies! Their organs can shrink their blood volume and chemistry chsbges ...they can need double their base calories or more! They typically need a small bump in protein.

I had a rough molt one year in my gcc and quaker even tho they ate pellets and some veggies. I took them to the avian vet even! They were healthy and she said it's normal to look rough. I did not accept this!! ( Later droped this vet for some other issues)

I researched and researched . Talked with my new avian vet , who told me they need more calories during molt,and mentioned I should add back a small amount of seeds to their diet,( st the time I fed none used a few for treat training this) . I decided to support next molt with a little animal protein by offering a little boiled / scrambled egg, a little boiled chicken, and walnuts. I added about 25% seed mix to diet only offered in late afternoon. I also started offering a lot more veggies,,! Veggies are st least ,50% if their daily intake now .

I've never ever had a rough molt again! They are lush and beautiful always ! Sure I see some pins. But you wouldn't really know they are molting except for sll the feathers in the bottom of the cage . Molts are faster , don't drag on. I think all my pictures speak for themselves.

I also believe in sunshine. Weather permitting. I really secure with zip ties every opening and bottom tray , and role the cages outside in light shade. Never full sun. I never leave them un attended. Their feathers become so sparkly when getting some sunshine.

BluQuaker

Meeting neighbors
If he is molting, it is extra hard on them. Molts are a huge drain on them if not in good health or nutrition. Often hidden health issues show up during molts.

You can research science articles in molts. It's crazy what happens to their bodies! Their organs can shrink their blood volume and chemistry chsbges ...they can need double their base calories or more! They typically need a small bump in protein.

I had a rough molt one year in my gcc and quaker even tho they ate pellets and some veggies. I took them to the avian vet even! They were healthy and she said it's normal to look rough. I did not accept this!! ( Later droped this vet for some other issues)

I researched and researched . Talked with my new avian vet , who told me they need more calories during molt,and mentioned I should add back a small amount of seeds to their diet,( st the time I fed none used a few for treat training this) . I decided to support next molt with a little animal protein by offering a little boiled / scrambled egg, a little boiled chicken, and walnuts. I added about 25% seed mix to diet only offered in late afternoon. I also started offering a lot more veggies,,! Veggies are st least ,50% if their daily intake now .

I've never ever had a rough molt again! They are lush and beautiful always ! Sure I see some pins. But you wouldn't really know they are molting except for sll the feathers in the bottom of the cage . Molts are faster , don't drag on. I think all my pictures speak for themselves.

I also believe in sunshine. Weather permitting. I really secure with zip ties every opening and bottom tray , and role the cages outside in light shade. Never full sun. I never leave them un attended. Their feathers become so sparkly when getting some sunshine.
Hello again,

First Pixiebeak thank you so much for your advices, i did read everything and i'm sorry it took me forever to reply.
Sadly things with Charlie was only going downhill since i posted my last reply. As you suggested we did treat him with Nystatin and Fluconazole as well. I offered him yogurt and he did loved it, we also started spending more time with him outside since weather is nice and he really love it too. For a second it looked like things are really improving but sadly he didn't got any weight back and continued to waste. We did crop sample again... no candida. Vet also cheked his poop under microscop and told me it looks great just some particles of undigested food but it didn't worry him too much. He suggested Charlie just need some time to recover from taking so much medicine. Two days passed he started regurgitating again. He was also taking unusual naps during the day but generally was very happy during play time.
Back to the vet, he was very surprised Charlie is not imroving, looked at his poop under microscope, cheked his feathers and suggested to do test for PBFD and Borna virus just to be sure. Meanwhile only foods he can eat at that point were chia seeds, rice and boiled eggs, and he would only eat if offered warm food through syringe. I'm also giving him vitamins and probiotics.
Long story short last friday he was positive on Borna and diagnosed with PDD, my whole world collaped. I know it's a bad luck having dark toughts but I had such a bad feeling for past weeks regarding my baby, i was crying on numerious occasions even befor he was diagnosed just looking at him being shadow of his past self. He is so young, he barely experienced life. Currently we are treating him with Celebrex, he eats rice, some cooked pasta and boiled veggies, his weight is down to 114g which is so heartbreaking. On some days he is super energetic, on others he would sleep much more.
It was so difficult for me to collect myself and be able to help him since i do hope we can somehow bring him back to shape and exted his life with this awful illness. I have no idea where he got that damn virus, he is only bird, never been in contact with other birds. I doubt he got it from vets office since they are very clean and careful. I'm just so sad, he will be 1 year old in few weeks, I just can't come to terms with the fact that his life will be cut so short. IMG-4169.jpg IMG-6812.jpg IMG-6807.jpg unnamed.jpg :(

Here are some pic of him before this awful illness and last one is picture of him now

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m sorry to hear about this diagnosis. Maybe some of the other members will have tips on how to maximize quality of life for your wee, little quaker (who’s adorable!).

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
@Shezbug @Zara I can't remember the username of the member who recently lost a lovebird to PDD. I wanted to tag her to see if she had anything to help this baby.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Shezbug @Zara I can't remember the username of the member who recently lost a lovebird to PDD. I wanted to tag her to see if she had anything to help this baby.
I think you're thinking of Bubblelady and Peep perhaps? But it won't let me tag her for some reason. You may also want to look into @Hankmacaw 's old posts before she sadly passed away she'd post about her Greenwing with PDD Kitty.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Yes. That was who I was thinking of. My brain wouldn't come up with her user name.