• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Birds, not to Pets

lippstikk

Moving in
Real Name
Mandi
Hello All!

My name is Mandi and I am bringing home a Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure tomorrow (he is finally weaned, yay!). I named him Quincy (he is being DNA sexed this week so I hope I chose well haha).
I have wanted a bird for years, but I haven't had or taken then time to do all my research until recently and I do not dive into new ventures without researching like crazy. I think I have spent close to 200 hours watching videos and reading up on GCCs and birds in general. I don't like to do anything halfway haha.

I have a dog and a cat (I know, I know, but I have rules and plans to keep this safe) named Arlo and Jasper respectively. Arlo is a shetland sheepdog and Jasper is a ragdoll. I took Arlo to the store I am getting Quincy from and he was great with the birds, no prey drive, mostly indifference. He has always been gentle so I was happy to see the consistency. Jasper has never had any interest in the birds outside, but I do intend to keep him separate from Quincy. Jasper gets free roam of the house, but when Quincy is out, I am going to put Jasper in his playroom.

I am excited to teach Quincy a lot, provide lots of scritches and fun snacks and just enjoy all the love. I have been visiting him at the store every few days (as much as I can since it's 45 mins away from me) and he already knows me. He gets super excited when I arrive and steps up and is already learning a few commands. He already gives kisses too! The employees stated that his reaction to me is different than when others walk by his cage, so I think we are already bonding!

I captured the CUTEST yawn the other day, so please enjoy that. :)

All advice is appreciated (especially multi-species households!). And thank you for letting me join your birb family.

Please enjoy some pictures and videos of my current pets, and my new buddy Quincy! F35A5672-8163-4E19-B709-1ECCD2911A87.jpeg 28BA1933-D75B-49C0-AA0B-35E1FD34E4D3.jpeg 3575757B-688A-4A89-B161-91140162C719.jpeg 895E9F3B-617D-4912-B631-BBD506812542.jpeg

Zara

☃♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼☺
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Mandi! 1.welcome signs.gif

I was scrolling your thread and stopped thinking, oh how cute Quincy is, then I saw Arlo and I´m like wow your dog is beautiful! Then your cat is precious, you are all a very beautiful family that´s for sure!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
GRINCH
Quincy is lovely and love the name

Loving the sheepdog as well the cat is also lovely even though i am not a fan of cats.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ragdoll kitties are one of my favorites. Sadly, I could not afford the cost so I adopted a kitty from Humanes Society last August Your pets are all gorgeous.

Sparkles99

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! All of you are gorgeous! That yawn is pretty much too cute. I keep species separated by doors, then you don’t have to worry.

Lady Jane, rescue kitties are the best. ;)

lippstikk

Moving in
Real Name
Mandi
Welcome to the Avenue Mandi! View attachment 405809

I was scrolling your thread and stopped thinking, oh how cute Quincy is, then I saw Arlo and I´m like wow your dog is beautiful! Then your cat is precious, you are all a very beautiful family that´s for sure!
Thank you!! :) I’m very lucky!

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Nnbal

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to AA and congratulations on Quincy!

All advice is appreciated (especially multi-species households!).
Physical separation is the only safe option.

Anything that relies on the animals to behave is risky.
Dogs and cats can kill a bird faster than we can intercede.
You will read numerous anecdotes from people saying they do it successfully, but this is akin to somebody saying they drive without a seatbelt and it's never been a problem.
It's not a problem until it is, and then it's dire.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

Frazieret

Moving in
Real Name
Dave
Welcome! Love the pictures. I sure hope you know how long Quincy can live.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

lippstikk

Moving in
Real Name
Mandi
Welcome! Love the pictures. I sure hope you know how long Quincy can live.
I would count myself lucky if he lives over 30 years! I definitely researched my commitment. I understand your concern though, a lot of people do not! I only wish my other pets could live that long!

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Hi! Your animals are lovely! Have you heard back about Quincy’s DNA test?

Sparkles99

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, name your bird what you'd like. It's not like she's going to get mad about it one day. I have a male named Marigold. It was a mistake, but totally suits him. Now, when I hear of girls named Marigold, I think 'that's such a masculine name!' :roflmao: