• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Reclining Seats

sophiey

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sophie
Hi there! I am looking to purchase two fabric recliners off of WayFair and I am worried about off-gassing/VOC's around my birdies. The chairs will be in the same room as the birds. This is from the item description:

"Rigorously tested to meet safety standards and flammability requirements. Does not contain flame "R" wordant chemicals. TSCA Certified for formaldehyde".

Would it be safe for me to let them off-gas in a different area of my home for a couple of days? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you have a garage or shed you can easily leave them out there to off gas. I have had some new furniture that has needed to be left outside for weeks and it still stinks and other stuff has been fine almost straight out of the box. If you do not have a shed/garage but have a room your birds do not use you could maybe put the chairs in there and let them off gas in there with a window open to help stop the fumes make it into the rest of the home.

sophiey

Real Name
Sophie
Thank you!
If you have a garage or shed you can easily leave them out there to off gas. I have had some new furniture that has needed to be left outside for weeks and it still stinks and other stuff has been fine almost straight out of the box. If you do not have a shed/garage but have a room your birds do not use you could maybe put the chairs in there and let them off gas in there with a window open to help stop the fumes make it into the rest of the home.
Thanks for your response! :) I don’t have a garage, so it would be in another room of my home. I know you said weeks, but what if the chair does not have a smell? How long should I wait then?

sophiey

Real Name
Sophie
Thank you!

Thanks for your response! :) I don’t have a garage, so it would be in another room of my home. I know you said weeks, but what if the chair does not have a smell? How long should I wait then?
Additionally, is it always concerning the smell? Like no smell = safe? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol, I just haven’t purchased new furniture for the room my birds are in before (college student here :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am sure there are still VOC's floating about in the air all the time even when we can not smell them but as far as I am aware the most important time to make an effort to avoid them is when you can smell them as that is pretty telling that there are chemicals floating about in a more concentrated amount. It is extremely hard for us to eliminate absolutely every danger but we can lessen the ones we can easily tell are there.