• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parrot Jesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Someone posted this video of these new parrot leashes...

[video=youtube;_q1GqhuoS3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q1GqhuoS3A&feature=share[/video]

A falconer at work offered to make me jesses for Kyoko, since I was sad she won't wear her harness. But from my research parrot legs aren't strong enough for that kind of restraint, despite it being equally distributed between the two legs. If the parrot baits (jumps off), they have a high chance of breaking their legs. Falcons legs are strong and built to carry prey, and hold weight, which is why their legs are strong enough for jesses.

Another thing is most falcons have jesses that are snug against the skin and permanently fixed on with eyelets and are wide to offer more support. I could NOT imagine restraining my bird with a little leg band that is lose and thin.

It's scary that these are going to be mass distributed with Kings cages!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
:eek:

Can't help but notice how he says Harry (the macaw) can take it right off. :rolleyes:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Marc Marrone, I knew this was gonna be bad lol. I would never feel safe doing this, I would be way too paranoid that something bad would happen. I think the flight suits are a lot better alternative.

Edit: I also couldn't help but notice the cockatiel constantly picking at it. I can't imagine that the weight of that solely on the legs would feel very good. At least with flight suits it's distributed through their body rather than directly on their legs and feet.

Last edited:

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Parrots have very shallow hip joints. I can foresee some dislocated hips if a bird starts to fly and then runs out of leash...the sudden stop/yank could pull the ball right out of the socket.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Edit: I also couldn't help but notice the cockatiel constantly picking at it. I can't imagine that the weight of that solely on the legs would feel very good. At least with flight suits it's distributed through their body rather than directly on their legs and feet.
The Green Cheek was too when the guy wasn't holding him, or bouncing him around.

I think it is way too dangerous for the smaller birds, especially Cockatiels who are quite small in size with only little legs. If the bird has a leg band on already, and then one of these Jesses are put on, that is extra weight which is far too much on their legs. Also interesting how he made it out to be that you just put it on them, the bird has to deal with it whether they like it or not. I would rather go through harness training, not just shoving it on and you are done.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't disagree with it. I do dislike leg bands. But leg harnesses are just like a harness around the body in my honest opinion.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Oh my.
How new (or old) is the video? I found nothing at Kings about these.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I don't disagree with it. I do dislike leg bands. But leg harnesses are just like a harness around the body in my honest opinion.
The difference is the harness doesn't tug the bird back by the legs, but by the whole body. The anatomy of a parrot and a raptor are very different, and a parrot's body isn't built for that king of pressure.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet has had Olive step up, and then held onto her foot as she tries to fly away, essentially doing what this would do but with just one foot. It didn't seem to hurt Olive at all, and I trust my vet a lot so I don't think she would do it if it wasn't safe.

While this looks really antiquated and strange to me, it does have an accordion to the leash so the bird has some give if it were to try to fly. You'd still have to have a strong bond with your bird, and it would have to be confident outdoors, because a frightened bird could get hurt if it flew off repeatedly. But I could see how this would be a useful alternative, especially for small birds, if it is safe.

I'd be interested to see what kind of feedback this gets from avian vets.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'd be interested to see what kind of feedback this gets from avian vets.
I would be too; I think if it was deemed safe I would prefer this style for Koopa.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

The difference is the harness doesn't tug the bird back by the legs, but by the whole body. The anatomy of a parrot and a raptor are very different, and a parrot's body isn't built for that king of pressure.
I beg to differ. A parrots body is light enough to withstand its own body weight when it falls with Jesses. I've used them in the past. It's really not as scary as it is made to believe. Just my experience. And it was on large birds. Never used on small.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
The weight of the bird and momentum of a fall being evenly distributed along the chest and stomach is at vastly different then that same impact being distributed on two small focused points on the legs. That means the weight and added force from a potential fall or flight are distributed to two VERY small areas on the legs. It would almost be like bungee jumping with what amounts to something the wideth of a thin belt on each ankle. That can cause damage.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't see where he showed how to put them on a bird that doesn't already have a band on both legs. Most don't. Also, even in the raptor community, its a considered a lousy idea to use anklets that are narrow like that because it puts all the force of the bate on a very small point on the bird's leg and increases the risk of fracture. I'd almost prefer a more typical falconry anklet if someone really wanted to do that.

I don't really see a major ethics problem here. Other than I do believe most parrots can chew through his material, which is actually my same complaint with most harness leashes. I've had one chew through their aviator leash, thankfully I wasn't outside when it happened. I just don't see this parrot jess idea going anywhere. Also, I'm not sure there is enough spring to the coil to absorb the shock of a large macaw taking off the opposite direction. I have myself grabbed feet and held them while a bird tried to fly and haven't hand injuries from it. So I think in most cases this idea is okay in principle. I just think there are other problems with it than just holding them by their legs.

I have a minor issue with him holding his hawk in such proximity to his prey birds. It looks like they are all pretty well adapted to each other, but I'm not sure thats really a good idea in most cases. Its all fine and good while the hawk is sitting calm. But if it starts moving around with a more predatory body language, I think most prey birds will get scared. I'm not convinced Mark is the greatest guy in the world in terms of how he's treating his animals and the situations he puts them in. That scarlet he always has on his shoulder must be one great bird though.
Melissa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.