• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New owner to Two lovebirds!

Huzaifa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Huzaifa
IMG_20211016_151634.jpg
Hey! I am really excited to be a pet owner for the very first time! However, I am also very scared because it's my first time having any kind of pet, and I have to take care of these two all by myself because, frankly, I don't really trust my parents that much with them (they use their traditional methods and all).

Anyway, I got them a week ago and they seem to be not eating in my presence. My father said that he has seen them eating. Also they are like very very afraid of me. Idk why they hate me and my hand so much.

The cage is 18 inches in length, 14 in width and 16 in height. Before I got them, there was only a plastic perch, a nest house (of wood and metal), two simple swings and 2 feeders: one for food and one for water. I got them an actual wooden perch from a tree, a toy, and a lil bowl with millets. What can I do better?

I haven't really named them yet too. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Welcome to the neighborhood!
1.) The cage you have them in is actually too small for even a single lovebird. At minimum a pair needs a cage that is 24”L X 18”W X 24”H. The bigger the better while maintaining proper bar spacing of 1/2".
2.) It's common for new birds, especially small ones, to be afraid of hands at first. They need to adjust to you and their new home. Having a pair is likely going to make it more of a challenge to bond and train.
3.) They don't need a nest box unless they're an active mating pair, which I hope they're not because that will definitely complicate things.
4.) Make sure the wood you're using is non-toxic and has been disinfected.
5.) They need multiple toys to keep them entertained and stimulated.
6.) Millet should be offered as a treat/reward. They need a solid diet of pellets, vegetables, and fruit. They're probably used to eating only seeds, so you'll have to work on converting them.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Can you ask the former owners why they had a breeding box in w/ them? Are they breeders? That would explain the 'no-touch'.
Tree wood-- NO Willow or Apple... And yes, disinfect first...
I like to trim an appropriate sized branch off the tree, clean, then place in the cage will it's still bendable, wedging it sturdily in the bars.

And WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :bounce4:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

The cage size has already been mentioned above.
Pats tip for perches is also good advice.

Also they are like very very afraid of me. Idk why they hate me and my hand so much.
They don´t hate you and never will. They are just scared.
Do you know how old the birds are? The older they are and the fact they´re a pair will make it harder for you to interact with them but not impossible. And being consistent, having patience, respecting their boundaries, and making sure all interactions are positive, hopefully you can have a nice relationship with them.
Spending time by the cage sat back in a chair, feeding millet through the bars is a good way to earn some trust. Don´t sit staring, interact side-on - just like they do ;)

Some ideas for bird names;

If you are dependent on your parents and have no access to finances, hopefully this thread can help inspire you to work out things you can make for your birds for no, or little money,
Toys are a must, as are foraging opportunities, and both things can be done with very little.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I forgot to add the most important thing; that your birds are beautiful! Gorgeous pair :)

Huzaifa

Real Name
Huzaifa
Welcome to the neighborhood!
1.) The cage you have them in is actually too small for even a single lovebird. At minimum a pair needs a cage that is 24”L X 18”W X 24”H. The bigger the better while maintaining proper bar spacing of 1/2".
2.) It's common for new birds, especially small ones, to be afraid of hands at first. They need to adjust to you and their new home. Having a pair is likely going to make it more of a challenge to bond and train.
3.) They don't need a nest box unless they're an active mating pair, which I hope they're not because that will definitely complicate things.
4.) Make sure the wood you're using is non-toxic and has been disinfected.
5.) They need multiple toys to keep them entertained and stimulated.
6.) Millet should be offered as a treat/reward. They need a solid diet of pellets, vegetables, and fruit. They're probably used to eating only seeds, so you'll have to work on converting them.
Thanks for all the advice!
But I have some counter-questions:
1) I can not get a bigger cage at the moment. What should I do?
2) I also don't want them to mate. So I avoided giving them paper or any other nesting material. However, they seem very cozy in the house. When ever I came even a little near them, they rush into the house. And winter's also approaching, so should I just keep the house in the cage?
3) Again, they just rush into the house when I come near. So, what should I reward them for. I don't have millet stems rather just a bag of the seeds. Should I hang fruits and vegetables on a thread with the cage?
4) And also, bathing! How do I make em bath? I have a water sprayer, should I spray them with water? Would they like it?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Try saving money slowly over time.
Maybe sell some old clothes you dont use any more.
Another idea, ask for a cage for a birthday gift. I have had a cage as a birthday gift before from my parents because I don´t want for anything but at the time was after a new cage :)

2) I also don't want them to mate.
Mating is fine, breeding is the thing you want to avoid.

However, they seem very cozy in the house.
House? You mean a nest box?
Just remove it, they will be happy on a normal perch.

So, what should I reward them for. I don't have millet stems rather just a bag of the seeds.
Look online, you can usually find ways to make treat bars with seeds. Make them in long stick shapes so you can hold them through the cage bars.

Should I hang fruits and vegetables on a thread with the cage?
Be careful with threads - they can get feet or toes trapped in. I personally would not use them.

4) And also, bathing! How do I make em bath? I have a water sprayer, should I spray them with water? Would they like it?
None of my lovebirds like that. They like to go under the tap in the kitchen sink. I also use a plate and pour water on the plate slowly here in the living room. The rest of the time they bathe in their water bowls in their cages.

Huzaifa

Real Name
Huzaifa
Under name suggestions, if they are male and female i would name them " Minnie and Mickey"
Ahh! I don't know their sex. But the bigger one does give me female vibes sometimes.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Thanks for all the advice!
But I have some counter-questions:
2) I also don't want them to mate. So I avoided giving them paper or any other nesting material. However, they seem very cozy in the house. When ever I came even a little near them, they rush into the house. And winter's also approaching, so should I just keep the house in the cage?
3) Again, they just rush into the house when I come near. So, what should I reward them for. I don't have millet stems rather just a bag of the seeds. Should I hang fruits and vegetables on a thread with the cage?
GOOD QUESTIONS--- YOU'RE THINKING!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They’re beautiful! I’ve never seen that colour of lovebird. :xflove: