• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Owner of Plumhead Parakeet

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
video shows both bird and cat could care less about one another! I am happy about this because I have a couple of small dogs :)
That cat means business. Whatever you’ve been told it shows, it doesn’t. As someone once said, cats play one game; it’s called hunting.

Dogs also have a prey drive, though it is heavily influenced by breed.

What I think that picture really shows is the trust the bird has in the human, & that’s wonderful!

DANPLUM808

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dan
Cats/dogs should not be near birds. This is dangerous. There are ways to manage a multi-pet household, but this is alarming.

Cats and dogs salvia is dangerous for parrots. They can get infections from even a small scratch. I know it may seem innocent, but I would never do this.
Thank you! Yes not sure why he had his cat by him but I have a Maltese and maltipoo so will never leave unattended

DANPLUM808

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dan
That cat means business. Whatever you’ve been told it shows, it doesn’t. As someone once said, cats play one game; it’s called hunting.

Dogs also have a prey drive, though it is heavily influenced by breed.

What I think that picture really shows is the trust the bird has in the human, & that’s wonderful!
Thanks! Yes I agree and will not put him with my dogs. Yes trust in human great. Breeder said I should try to get him on my finger right away, I tried and he was scared so just letting him observe me in his cage for now

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Does Pi like to take baths? Do plum heads in general bathe?
Oh yes! It will depend on the weather a bit. But usually every few days. Pi flies to the shower and hops around the shower screen when he wants a shower. He lives more showers when it is dry out.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
:congrats5: So gorgeous

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Here he is :)
He is gorgeous!

I would give him some time to settle in before you worry about handling him. You can try just sitting nearby reading out loud to him. He can get familiar with your voice and who you are. Parrots base friendship on trust. They are also a prey species. Humans, especially when we are excited about a new cute buddy, tend to stare and/or be quiet. But if you can avoid looking at him. Because he is also watching you, and he wants to understand who you are. Binocular vision as humans have can actually be scary to birds before they get to know us personally. Just try and be yourself and do your regular daily things, but adjust things to make space for your new buddy. For example make some vocalisations when you are entering a room so that he is well aware you are coming and doesn't get surprised. Birds talk to each other nearly all day.

When he is ready he will come to you. I waited for Pi to come to me and it took less than a week before he initiated touch by hopping on to my shoulder. I was sitting on a futon looking away from him. Now Pi and I have a near perfect trust.

Slow and patient wins the day with birbs.

DANPLUM808

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dan
He is gorgeous!

I would give him some time to settle in before you worry about handling him. You can try just sitting nearby reading out loud to him. He can get familiar with your voice and who you are. Parrots base friendship on trust. They are also a prey species. Humans, especially when we are excited about a new cute buddy, tend to stare and/or be quiet. But if you can avoid looking at him. Because he is also watching you, and he wants to understand who you are. Binocular vision as humans have can actually be scary to birds before they get to know us personally. Just try and be yourself and do your regular daily things, but adjust things to make space for your new buddy. For example make some vocalisations when you are entering a room so that he is well aware you are coming and doesn't get surprised. Birds talk to each other nearly all day.

When he is ready he will come to you. I waited for Pi to come to me and it took less than a week before he initiated touch by hopping on to my shoulder. I was sitting on a futon looking away from him. Now Pi and I have a near perfect trust.

Slow and patient wins the day with birbs.
Great advice thank you! He’s playing and vocalizing this morning!