• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New owner of cockatiel

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Hello,

I am the first cockatiel owner. I don't know the sex of my cockatiel yet. My bird's name is Cherry and it is estimated to be 7 months old. I am currently having green cheek conure, but there seems to be a lot of difference, so I want to know some tips and tips so I am posting.

Cherry has been with my family for over 2 weeks and seems to be a very afraid to my family and I . My concern is that I haven't seen Cherry drink water. I wonder if this is normal. My GCC bird eats water while eating, but cherry is worried because he doesn't drink water while eating food. GCC's cage and Cherry's cage are separated into different rooms, and Cherry has not gotten close to us yet, and he or she is very afraid so I couldn't go to the vet. Now, the way I get to know Cherry is to change water and food twice a day, then just sit near the cage and talk for an hour, talking 4 hours a day. And, over two weeks today, I am going to open the cage and let myself come out. And the visit was closed. If I have to go anywhere, I turn on the radio in case I feel lonely and go out. Cherry's diet consists of pellets (1 table spoon) + seeds (1/2 tea spoon x twice) in the morning and vegetable (1/2 tea spoon x 4 times), fruit (1/2 tea spoon x twice) in the evening, etc. (cracker, Nutri-berri, hard boil egg, piece of rice). Cherry hasn't done the night flight yet. And I covered it with the cover of the cage, and yesterday it seemed too cold, so I covered the blanket.

It's still too early to get acquainted with it, but I want to know how to become a safe person and get acquainted. And I would like to get a lot of information about other interesting cockatiels.

Thank you for reading long my post:)

Attachments

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
Your cockatiel is a beautiful ploofy little boy! Since you just got him don't be too worried if he is not drinking water just yet. He is still getting used to his surroundings and it won't be long before he starts eating and drinking. Also birds only eat and drink when they feel safe so if you just got him you might not see him drink because he doesn't feel safe around you yet. He's so cuuute!

:budgie7: - Snowy the Budgie :budgie9: - Pineapple the Budgie

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
my budgie Picasso, I rarely see him drink water but that’s because he does it when I’m not looking.Because your cockatiel is scared I would walk by the cage and drop a treat in his bowl when he’s looking so he can associate your hand with food/treats.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Is that a mirror in his cage? I would take it out. Mirrors can be confusing to birds. Does he have any toys? Tiels typically like softer things- like balsa- that they can chew/shred. Two weeks is a really short amount of time. Just keep doing what you're doing- spending time sitting with him and talking to him. You can try to start hand feeding him treats too. Millet spray is often a good one to use. :)

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Your cockatiel is a beautiful ploofy little boy! Since you just got him don't be too worried if he is not drinking water just yet. He is still getting used to his surroundings and it won't be long before he starts eating and drinking. Also birds only eat and drink when they feel safe so if you just got him you might not see him drink because he doesn't feel safe around you yet. He's so cuuute!

:budgie7: - Snowy the Budgie :budgie9: - Pineapple the Budgie
Aww thank you! Do you think my cockatiel is male? because I have no idea for Cherry's gender.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
my budgie Picasso, I rarely see him drink water but that’s because he does it when I’m not looking.Because your cockatiel is scared I would walk by the cage and drop a treat in his bowl when he’s looking so he can associate your hand with food/treats.
Woah that is so good idea. Cherry look at me then fly his cage (oopsie). Recently, Cherry makes a singing and I response the call.
Thank you!

Last edited:

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Welcome to the forum. Is that a mirror in his cage? I would take it out. Mirrors can be confusing to birds. Does he have any toys? Tiels typically like softer things- like balsa- that they can chew/shred. Two weeks is a really short amount of time. Just keep doing what you're doing- spending time sitting with him and talking to him. You can try to start hand feeding him treats too. Millet spray is often a good one to use. :)
Oh I cover mirror on my room. My cockatiel has 4 toys in cage. I never see Cherry plays the toys yet. I might try to give spray millet on my hands.
Should I grab spray millet when I give Cherry or just spray millet put on millet..? Also, do you what is gender of mu cockatiel..?
Thanks a Lot!

Sir. Bird

Moving in
Real Name
Kira
My little guy didn't drink for the first bit after I got him, but he's doing it now! Cherry will probably start drinking in front of you soon, also he eats veggies? Mine fights me over anything green!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh I cover mirror on my room. My cockatiel has 4 toys in cage. I never see Cherry plays the toys yet. I might try to give spray millet on my hands.
Should I grab spray millet when I give Cherry or just spray millet put on millet..? Also, do you what is gender of mu cockatiel..?
Thanks a Lot!
You don't have to cover the mirror in your room. I just thought that the one toy in the picture looked like a mirror. You can hold on to the piece of spray millet and see if he'll come and nibble on it. That way Cherry is sort of close to your hands but not too close. Can you post some pictures of your bird from the back? I can't tell from the pic if Cherry is a normal grey or a pied. If a normal grey, definitely a boy. If a pied, it's harder to tell.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Glad to know that.. I heard female cockatiel have chronic lay eggs.. I am not sure about grow babies so
Thank you!!
Most female cockatiels aren't chronic egg layers. I think its just out of all the different species of parrots, cockatiels are more prone to be chronic egg layers than other species but only a small percentage I believe of cockatiels are actually chronic egg layers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I heard female cockatiel have chronic lay eggs.. I am not sure about grow babies so
If this is your only cockatiel, then if this is a female, just leave her eggs with her. If she doesn´t tend to them after a week, remove them. If she sits on them that is ok, but make sure you remove them after 3 weeks :)

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Thanks a Lot!
All birds (expect ones with certain disabilities) can learn how to play. It took me 3 years to get my shy budgie Picasso to play and explore. Maggie my Quaker parrot took only 1 year. It depends on the bird!

peaches13

Strolling the yard
My little guy didn't drink for the first bit after I got him, but he's doing it now! Cherry will probably start drinking in front of you soon, also he eats veggies? Mine fights me over anything green!
I did not see to eat veggie.. only Nutri berry..
Cockatiel is funny cuz Cherry throw pellets everywhere :)laugh:). He is still hiss me, but better than first day.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
You don't have to cover the mirror in your room. I just thought that the one toy in the picture looked like a mirror. You can hold on to the piece of spray millet and see if he'll come and nibble on it. That way Cherry is sort of close to your hands but not too close. Can you post some pictures of your bird from the back? I can't tell from the pic if Cherry is a normal grey or a pied. If a normal grey, definitely a boy. If a pied, it's harder to tell.
I take a pic, but hard to see back because he or she is afraid me..

Attachments

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Most female cockatiels aren't chronic egg layers. I think its just out of all the different species of parrots, cockatiels are more prone to be chronic egg layers than other species but only a small percentage I believe of cockatiels are actually chronic egg layers.
Oh I did not know that information, but thank you for making me clear.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please be supervising the birds if they are out of cage together. Their personalities are quite different. Your conure may get feisty with a cockatiel.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
If this is your only cockatiel, then if this is a female, just leave her eggs with her. If she doesn´t tend to them after a week, remove them. If she sits on them that is ok, but make sure you remove them after 3 weeks :)
Thank you! This is a important to me if my bird lay eggs.