• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New member!

Gee Nick

Moving in
Hello! I’m new to the forum! Sadly, I don’t currently own any parrots, but I do have birds! I have a flock of 10 chickens who are my everything, as well as a little tribe of pigeons in an aviary. Ive always loved birds and I love learning new things about them. I hope to own a parrot once I’m able to rent my own place, but until then, I’m going to be here learning which breed is best for me!

Heres the pigeons and a few of the chickens:

E52CFEFB-C8BD-42AD-8548-417F25F7DC10.jpeg 9C604C7B-9D99-4AC1-BFED-607F0F8A53FD.jpeg 542B2BAF-19BB-49DF-BF73-49985E8E0508.jpeg 57878C95-2787-4AD9-B428-09DAE3757D5A.jpeg

3009A262-3832-4F50-8E65-D2FCA112C663.jpeg 232D3478-223F-4BA7-81E4-CD1DD5235A1C.jpeg A76D9611-B9BA-4C5B-B015-A441D36D3D1A.jpeg 3E6D60D9-75BC-420C-8D49-64C37BC14DE8.jpeg 6742815A-CD16-4566-AF4D-40FB59890784.jpeg

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:
I love chickens and pigeons! Yours are so beautiful!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Ohhh your chooks are so pretty! I miss having chooks- can’t wait to get some again.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Your flocks are gorgeous.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif
Love all of your birds! Very beautiful :swoon:

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
You are being really smart in doing your research first before bringing a parrot home. Do you know which type you would like to start out with? I started out with smaller types and graduated my up to the big boys.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Your birds area really cute!

Gee Nick

Moving in
You are being really smart in doing your research first before bringing a parrot home. Do you know which type you would like to start out with? I started out with smaller types and graduated my up to the big boys.
Thank you! I have several other animals and unfortunately I know lots of people who will get an animal without researching, then later figure out it isn’t a good fit. But that’s what I’ve been trying to figure out. Is there a thread on the forum specific for asking “which bird is best for me”? A few main points would be something that isn’t crazy loud. I’m used to the rooster crowing in the early morning but then again he isn’t inside my house. I know asking for a quiet bird is like asking for a tall dwarf, but I’m curious to see if there are relatively quieter breeds. I can go into more detail on a separate thread somewhere!

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Gee Nick, parrots in general are going to be noisy at least 2x a day. For sure in the morning and at night. At least mine were when they were younger. The small birds like sun conures make lots of noise for their small size. In my opinion, a quiet parrot means there is something wrong. lol I like my birds making some type of noise either while playing or talking. If I were you, go to youtube and watch videos of any bird you are interested in so you can get a feel for what it sounds like and you can decide if you want to listen to it all day. Once you get the bird, you made an investment of a lifetime so you better like what you hear. Some folks go by talking ability and color rather than it's natural characteristics.

I grew up with parakeets as a child. When I was an adult, I acquired a green cheek parakeet in the early 80's and it was a velcro bird. My daughter had a cockatiel and it was one also. Whichever type you decide on, let the bird choose you if there are more than one to choose from. If you don't, you may be setting yourself up for a fall if the bird bonds to somebody else in your family. Many parrots prefer one sex over the other. My double yellow head amazon prefers women and my blue and gold macaw prefers men. It hurt me that the macaw did that as I was the one who wanted him. That is just they way they are.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Hi! I love your bird pictures, especially the chickens with the daffodils.

Gee Nick

Moving in
Gee Nick, parrots in general are going to be noisy at least 2x a day. For sure in the morning and at night. At least mine were when they were younger. The small birds like sun conures make lots of noise for their small size. In my opinion, a quiet parrot means there is something wrong. lol I like my birds making some type of noise either while playing or talking. If I were you, go to youtube and watch videos of any bird you are interested in so you can get a feel for what it sounds like and you can decide if you want to listen to it all day. Once you get the bird, you made an investment of a lifetime so you better like what you hear. Some folks go by talking ability and color rather than it's natural characteristics.

I grew up with parakeets as a child. When I was an adult, I acquired a green cheek parakeet in the early 80's and it was a velcro bird. My daughter had a cockatiel and it was one also. Whichever type you decide on, let the bird choose you if there are more than one to choose from. If you don't, you may be setting yourself up for a fall if the bird bonds to somebody else in your family. Many parrots prefer one sex over the other. My double yellow head amazon prefers women and my blue and gold macaw prefers men. It hurt me that the macaw did that as I was the one who wanted him. That is just they way they are.
Oh yes noise is expected. I’m just looking for a breed that has LESS ear piercing screams than others. I’m leaning towards a budgie pair since they mostly just chatter based on my research, as well as they are what is closest to me. Unfortunately, I don’t have many breeders or rescues close to me that I know of. I’d be looking for some in the NC, GA, SC area.

I mainly want a type of bird that is easily tame able and I believe that budgies are docile enough to tame. If anyone knows breeders or rescues in those areas let me know! I’m not looking right now but I will be in the future!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Definitely YouTube budgies chattering and listen to it with the volume up and put it on replay.
I honestly find the constant chatter and tone of budgies much more stressful and irritating than the odd loud call of larger birds.
Each person has different tones and sounds that they’re uncomfortable or unable to deal with- I actually get quite anxious when my budgie is really happy and busy and I need to leave the room for a few minutes- his non stop repetitive squeaks are too much for me to listen to for long.

Gee Nick

Moving in
Definitely YouTube budgies chattering and listen to it with the volume up and put it on replay.
I honestly find the constant chatter and tone of budgies much more stressful and irritating than the odd loud call of larger birds.
Each person has different tones and sounds that they’re uncomfortable or unable to deal with- I actually get quite anxious when my budgie is really happy and busy and I need to leave the room for a few minutes- his non stop repetitive squeaks are too much for me to listen to for long.
That’s true. Maybe bourkes, cockatiels, or parrotlets would be better. I’ve also heard about pionus parrots being somewhat quiet for a larger bird. Also, about conures, I know they like to do their loud screech, but is that all throughout the day or just mornings and nights? I’m also looking at quakers as options. :)

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
My conure is noisy whenever she feels like it. My previous one was too. Certain types of conures are not as noisy as others, but if you're looking for a quiet bird then a conure is not your best choice.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcomegroup:A cockatiel sounds like it would suit you

Gee Nick

Moving in
My conure is noisy whenever she feels like it. My previous one was too. Certain types of conures are not as noisy as others, but if you're looking for a quiet bird then a conure is not your best choice.
That’s what I was thinking. Parrotlets seem to be a solid possibility. I’ve read that they can be a little aggressive but most behavioral issues are trainable right?