• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New member (Reji) - and LF Caique!

SweetestAv

Moving in
Real Name
ParadoxSketchbook
Heyo fellow avian lovers! I hope everyone is enjoying the weather on their end, it is raining here as I type and it is a bliss as we hardly get rain here.
I figured I have done enough reading around to finally post a proper introduction so grab yourself your favorite drink and have a seat as this is going to be a blast!
:blahblah:

My name is Reji, I am 29 now and I work full time in the department that everyone hates (human resources). I am an oddball and weird when it comes to birds and parrots and just pets in general. I personally have never owned any kind of pet in my life but my family and friends have through which I have learned some things about various animals and their behaviors. I was born and raised on a farm in India, so was exposed to the typical farm animals since a young age. We moved to USA when I was nine years old and since then have not had a family animal companion to interact with, only the occasional friend or neighbor pet.

I do not let this discourage me as I am also an artist who loves to draw and create fantasy creatures which requires the study of real animal anatomy to create believable creatures. I have always loved to study feathers and anything that could fly, from bats to hawks to even insects. Studying the way flight works in various animals and their habitat has helped me in properly understand how to best illustrate fantasy animals and fantasy environments. I take great pride in having spent some part of my life learning this but still my childhood dream of owning a pet was not exactly quenched. Over the years I have realized that my most favorite type of animal companion to have would be a parrot or hawk (big dreams, I know). I also understand that I never wanted to get a pet until I felt I am financially capable of caring for the companion as well as cover even the most bizarre of situations on my own without relying on others. I understand that family is there to support in tough times but really I just don't think it is fair for me to push my family to first accept a new family member who obviously is different from everyone else, have them interact and get used to this new companion, and in time of need have them support financially when in the end it was something only I am passionate about.
:feedpigeons:
My human family members love animals, but they are very limited in liking to only the traditional farm animals such as cows, dogs, sheeps, hens, etc. I am the only crazy one who finds parrots adorable... but hey, I am proud of being the oddball as I hear you have to be weird to get along with parrots (they only seem to love the oddball humans it seems).

I have finally reached a point in my life where I can support and care for a parrot even if I am left alone to do this and have enough room for the parrot to feel loved and not prisoned. So I started on my research of adopting a parrot which of course spiraled into further researches of various topics such as just how many types of parrots are out there on the planet, what they like to eat, health issues, cages, etc. It has been a long year of researching but I feel every moment I spend reading or watching videos always brings something new for me to ponder on.

So after a year of proper research and countless tutorials and training videos on YouTube I think I have decided how I want to start off my parront life! Making an account on here was the first step of course! :D Although I spent my time researching and preparing for adopting a budgie, my heart is leaning towards getting a white bellied caique... major differences, I know! I am currently trying to find a breeder that can actually ship or allow me to pick up in person a caique baby, but that seems to be an issue as I live in an area where parrots aren't kept as pets as often as other areas in this state. For those curious, I live in Central Valley (slam center of California). To the north and south there are many parrot lovers and not ot mention breeders and aviaries and even rescues! Unfortunately, for me it is at least a 5 hour drive one way... so, it has been quite the time trying to find a place that does not scream out as a scam.
I have set aside the money needed for adopting my future parrot baby along with the essentials they'll need like cage, perches, toys, food, etc. while I wait for destiny to finally deliver my first pet to me.

For those curious, I spent my year of research not just for myself but also educating my husband as well as my own family who live close by this way everyone has the basic knowledge of properly caring for our future companion. Plus, it is nice to have free babysitters who know what they're doing... :roflmao: (that was a joke).

Future goals... might as well discuss this too... I have created an handle called Sweetest Aviary which might just be an account that posts pictures of my birbs or even art I create of them... or who knows if one day turn into an actual aviary that breeds parrots... I have no clue, I have not thought this far into things. I do know this much though, I am hoping whichever bird does decide to join me and my husband in our home is going to be a part of the family and be adored like no other. But the main point of the handle is, I want to name all of my future bird friends after something sweet - be it a fruit, sweet, desert, chocolate, or candy... because one can never have enough sweetness in this crazy world.

:aquarium: I know I do not own any parrots (or birds of any kind) here like everyone else does but hey I can share the love over the web just as much and still convince you how cute your own birbs are! Please do not mind if I randomly make art of your birds, sometimes I just have art block when it comes to commissions and need the cute distraction - no worries though, I share and properly credit my models (if you do not want any art please let me know by messaging or commenting on here).

I hope I have not scared anyone away so far... and if you have not noticed, I get distracted easily and tend to write a lot. I love how in this intro I didn't even mention the proper basics about myself... magiiiic. If anyone has recommendations on a breeder or aviary that I can adopt a caique from please do let me know! I'd rather go via recommendation than base it off of Google's opinion.

I'll end my introduction with a simple sticker I made of my future companion (fingers crossed that they are a white bellied caique).
Caique.png

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Good luck! Also, cute sticker, you should make custom stickers (they don’t have to be birds!) for people!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:welave: :hiya:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Reji 1.welcome signs.gif

Wonderful to have you here! We welcome many members here who join without owning a bird. They converse here, ask questions, get recommendations, research, read and eventually bring home their own feathered baby and we all celebrate :yah:

@Laurie breeds caiques, though I bet she has a super long wait list and I don´t know which state she´s in.

When looking for a bird, be sure you are very clear with people that you don´t want them to clip the bird, you want them fully flighted. (Some people find a bird that isn´t clipped, pay for them, but when they go to pick them up they are devastated to see the bird clipped)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award