• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New member!! Behavioural issues in Bonded Pair, Please help me!

noribirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
nori
Hello! My name is nori and I joined avian avenue today ^_^ I do have experience with birds, I have a cockatiel who is 3 years old and a pair of IRNS who are approximately 1.5 years old.

I got my IRNS (male and female) when they were six months old from someone who bought them but only kept them for a week. They’re generally very sweet but do not like anyone touching them. My female IRN will sometimes fly up to my shoulder but my male IRN hates human contact. They eat their veggies and play with toys. They’ve always been bonded. Out of the two, my female is more outgoing and my male is shy and usually follows her lead.

Around a month ago, my IRNS were playing and my male accidentally hit my female in the eye. It wasn’t an injury but my female’s eyes swell up a bit. Recently she got conjunctivitis and I took her to the vet. She’s getting her meds and eyedrops and she’s doing better now but the problem is that my male has become a bit aggressive towards her. I don’t think my male is aggressive towards my female bc of the vet trip or something related to her injury. He’s become aggressive with her overtime which is how I think she got hit it the eye in the first place. Don’t get me wrong, they’re bonded and are affectionate with each other, but my male has been aggressive (could it be hormones?) lately. He picks up a fight with her out of the blue, starts screaming at her, sending her warning screeches even when she’s somewhere far away in the cage. The cage is spacious enough for too so space is not the problem. Wherever my female goes, my males follows her and wants to be with her. There’s plenty of food and toys but he always wants what she has. For example, when they’re both eating, my male will want what my female has even though he’s eating the same thing. Same goes for toys. His attacks towards her are never vicious, but I’m still worried and want to step in before things get worse. Lately, he’s also been trying to pull feathers near my female’s eyes, which isn’t 100% healed yet, so I’m considering seperating them.

But I’ve heard that seperating bonded pairs is never a good idea so I want everyone’s opinions on this. My plan is to maybe permanently seperate them and put them different cages. Would it be too harsh? Would they be able to handle being seperated? They’ve never lived without each other but I’m afraid my female will suffer if they stay together.

As for gender, I’m sure they’re male and female because I’ve been around many IRNS and can tell sexes apart easily.

Ang advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Is there no one who can help :(
Welcome! Patience is the key.

I am thinking hormones in the male, he probably just want to mate with her, and she won't let him. That happened with my red rumps.

I separated them for a little while and once the hormones went down, I let the back together. They have been fine since. Seperate them for now, but let them see each other by having them in the same room.

Ali

@Mizzely @Shezbug

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Remember that this is a forum, with mostly North America members, and we all have lives too ;) It was 5:30 am for me when you posted initially!

Yes we don't like to separate bonded pairs... Unless it is for safety reasons. Females tend to go through puberty later than males so they aren't on the same page yet. I would personally separate for now and then assess from there.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I think if he's being aggressive they should be separated for awhile. I would keep their cages by each other. Plus, isn't conjunctivitis contagious? I would separate them at least until she got over that.

noribirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
nori
Remember that this is a forum, with mostly North America members, and we all have lives too ;) It was 5:30 am for me when you posted initially!

Yes we don't like to separate bonded pairs... Unless it is for safety reasons. Females tend to go through puberty later than males so they aren't on the same page yet. I would personally separate for now and then assess from there.
Thank you so much for your response. I read online that once you seperate bonded pairs and they get used to their cages, they wouldn’t want to be put together as their cage would be their territory only? Is this true?

noribirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
nori
Welcome to the forum. I think if he's being aggressive they should be separated for awhile. I would keep their cages by each other. Plus, isn't conjunctivitis contagious? I would separate them at least until she got over that.
Thank you for your response!
I did try to seperate them in the beginning but my male got really anxious. Her eyes are mostly better and nothing has happened to him so I let them be.

noribirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
nori

Thank you for your response! I’m sorry I didn’t know that :)
Oh, they do? I wasn’t aware. I’ve only had male birds and she is my first female one so I don’t know much about their hormones or puberty. Thank you!

noribirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
nori
Welcome! Patience is the key.

I am thinking hormones in the male, he probably just want to mate with her, and she won't let him. That happened with my red rumps.

I separated them for a little while and once the hormones went down, I let the back together. They have been fine since. Seperate them for now, but let them see each other by having them in the same room.

Ali

@Mizzely @Shezbug
Thank you for your response! Was it stressful for the birds when you seperated them? And was it easy to get them back together as well? I read online that once bonded pairs are seperated and given their own cages and adapt to it, they don’t get well in one cage after. Is this true?

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you so much for your response. I read online that once you seperate bonded pairs and they get used to their cages, they wouldn’t want to be put together as their cage would be their territory only? Is this true?
I think that's very bird dependent and there is no hard rule either way

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank you for your response! Was it stressful for the birds when you seperated them? And was it easy to get them back together as well? I read online that once bonded pairs are seperated and given their own cages and adapt to it, they don’t get well in one cage after. Is this true?
I just opened the doors and they went straight to each other. The key is making sure they can see eachother at ll times when seperated!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Nori :)

I got my IRNS (male and female) when they were six months old from someone who bought them but only kept them for a week.
As they are the same age... are they siblings? Maturing siblings who were once friends can turn on each other as they realise they are incompatible.

The cage is spacious enough for too so space is not the problem.
What are the measurements? I don´t mean any offense, but we see a lot of people posting saying their cage is ¨great¨ or ¨perfect¨ or ¨big¨, but the reality is they just didn´t know the size they needed and was in fact too small. The size in cm or inches would be helpful.

Another thing, how much enrichment are they getting? how many foraging opportunities are available to them daily? How many toys and what type of toys etc

Splitting a bonded pair, even temporarily is unpleasant, but when needs must, we have no choice. I have my bonded pair of lovebirds separated right now as the male is on meds. I have had to block their view of each other or they pace all day long. I take him to her cage in the middle of the day so he can see her but I can keep him back and stop him feeding her. So what works for one, doesn´t work for everyone.

I think that's very bird dependent and there is no hard rule either way
100%