• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New human baby on the way

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Hi all!
In a few months we will be adding a real life human baby to our group! I wanted to know if anyone has any advice about how to make this transition easier on all of us, including our 2.5 year old CAG, Gotham. This will be our first human child and while I know there is a huge learning curve ahead of us I want to make it easier on Gotham if I can! Any and all suggestions welcome! I’ve also had to turn down some really awesome baby products because of the threat they pose to Gotham and indoor air quality so if you have any products you like for babies and have used around your birds please share that too!

Thanks in advanced!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Congrats on the human baby! I'm afraid I won't be much help as my fids came after my kids were all adult. As for the baby products you had to give up, maybe something many of us should consider (I'd never thought of this), if a product isn't safe for a bird could it possibly also be a little unsafe for an infant?

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Congrats on the human baby! I'm afraid I won't be much help as my fids came after my kids were all adult. As for the baby products you had to give up, maybe something many of us should consider (I'd never thought of this), if a product isn't safe for a bird could it possibly also be a little unsafe for an infant?
Hi Sandra! Yes I have come to this conclusion also as I do my research! I’ve had to pass on somethings like new carpet and cute furniture because really they weren’t healthy for anyone. Doing my research for what was safe to Bring in the house started out for out bird but in the end I felt like I was making healthier decisions for my entire Family. It as hard to believe what was in a lot of baby stuff that’s just crappy chemicals lined objects (diaper changing pads and mattress). I know you can’t protect against everything but you have to make your own decision where to draw the line and what you can afford. We found low Voc bamboo that was pretty expensive for one room but since the other options like carpet were so bad with the Vocs (over years), we splurged. We were able to find affordable nursery furniture that is greenguard certified so that helped make up for the flooring! I’m currently trying to find a baby food maker company that will return my emails about Teflon lol. I may have to drop that pipe dream all together! My friends don’t have birds so when I try to explain things to them they just don’t understand and think I’m being crazy, but using our bird as a standard of health seems like you couldn’t really go wrong!

jax7271

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
My birds were smaller (and quieter) when I had young kids....they are adults now...lol
For making my baby food, I know it is old school, but I used a small hand grinder at the table, so to speak, and my kids ate much of the same food as us (without all of the spices)....no teflon there.