• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Gouldian finch babies (Sad updates #14 #23)

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
:cngrt5: They must be soooooo cute! :laughing12: How small is it? I've never seen a baby finch before :confused: :finch5:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations :)

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
Just saw one tiny beak and long neck reaching toward mom. ID say about 2 mm? Ill try to get a pic when possible. Its hard with mom and dad in the nest and more eggs too

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our Gouldians laid 7 eggs. At least one hatched last night. Its too tiny to photograph, but so adorable and the tiniest thing I've ever seen.
Congrats! Tagging @finchly in case you manage to take any pics :lol:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good job now stay out of the nest - they sometimes abandon if you keep checking. Some people don’t even look in for 4-5 days.

Even though we all want pics of course.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
Good job now stay out of the nest - they sometimes abandon if you keep checking. Some people don’t even look in for 4-5 days.

Even though we all want pics of course.
I only do my regular routine of feeding and giving fresh water. I don't bother the finch much since she laid the first egg. They have become comfortable with me (its been about a month since I moved in again). I try to follow a regular routine with all the birds. I just happen to look in at the right time today to see the itty bitty baby. I've never seen anything so tiny.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I just happen to look in at the right time today to see the itty bitty baby. I've never seen anything so tiny.
Sounds good! Isn’t it amazing? They are smaller than .., anything! Even more amazing that in 23 days it will be a full sized feathered bird. :)

I hope they do well for you.

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
I had to share this. Forgive me, I am a bit shaken. I went to feed the birds this morning. A bit earlier than usual, thank goodness. I peeked in at the finch hoping for a glimpse of a baby, then went on as usual. I walked back by their cage and something made me look in the bottom of the cage.
Under the grate was a baby. It was moving!! So I pulled the tray out and gently picked it up. At this point I panicked. Do I put it back in the nest? Will the parents accept it? Did they kick it out for some defect? Or did it simply fall out?
It was (I imagine) the size of a baby mouse. It felt cold, but moving quite a bit. I opened the cage door, and mom and dad flew out of the nest. I quickly placed it back inside, and closed the cage door. Holding my breath. Mom and dad quickly returned inside the nest and dad looked like he was regurgitating, but couldn't see if he was feeding it.
I just started feeding the other birds to leave them be. After I was done, mom and dad just looked as usual sitting crowded inside the nest.
I just pray I found the baby in time. I pray they feed it, and it survives.
I have no idea what made me look in the bottom of the cage, I almost didn't recognize it was a baby. It was so tiny and so helpless and being under the grate, it surely would have died. The universe was hard at work today....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I had to share this. Forgive me, I am a bit shaken. I went to feed the birds this morning. A bit earlier than usual, thank goodness. I peeked in at the finch hoping for a glimpse of a baby, then went on as usual. I walked back by their cage and something made me look in the bottom of the cage.
Under the grate was a baby. It was moving!! So I pulled the tray out and gently picked it up. At this point I panicked. Do I put it back in the nest? Will the parents accept it? Did they kick it out for some defect? Or did it simply fall out?
It was (I imagine) the size of a baby mouse. It felt cold, but moving quite a bit. I opened the cage door, and mom and dad flew out of the nest. I quickly placed it back inside, and closed the cage door. Holding my breath. Mom and dad quickly returned inside the nest and dad looked like he was regurgitating, but couldn't see if he was feeding it.
I just started feeding the other birds to leave them be. After I was done, mom and dad just looked as usual sitting crowded inside the nest.
I just pray I found the baby in time. I pray they feed it, and it survives.
I have no idea what made me look in the bottom of the cage, I almost didn't recognize it was a baby. It was so tiny and so helpless and being under the grate, it surely would have died. The universe was hard at work today....
Hi. Please consider not using a grate in your cages while you are breeding, for this very reason. Sometimes they are fatally injured when they hit the grate.

Putting it back inside was the right thing to do. Some people put them back 2 or 3 times, so please keep a watch out.

Reasons for tossing babies: Baby is ill, parents too young (under 14 months), too many babies to feed/care for, poor nutrition, not enough egg food to feed all babies. Sometimes (often) if the nest box isn't deep enough the baby gets accidentally dragged out.

They know better than us - if there's something wrong with the baby they will boot it out. A common issue is black spot disease, where you can see a black spot clearly on the baby's right/ your left.

Always have a brooder ready set at 96 degrees F for those cold little ones. You should also have handfeeding formula on hand, if in the US get it at the local petstore, kaytee brand is fine.

Hopefully the toss was an accident and baby will be cared for now. More information here.

Good luck!

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
We had to go out today, one of my roommates dogs was being spay. when we got back the baby was in the bottom but it was dead this time. I think it was kicked out on purpose

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m very sorry for your loss :(

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
I took a photo of the chick, its really morbid, but if anyone would like to see just how tiny, I will share :(

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
More sad news. This morning there was an egg in the bottom of the cage. I candled it, and it was infertile which made me feel better. It was so tiny.

Attachments