• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Gouldian finch babies (Sad updates #14 #23)

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
More sad news. This morning there was an egg in the bottom of the cage. I candled it, and it was infertile which made me feel better. It was so tiny.
I thought you can only tell whether it's fertile a while after it's laid :huh: Either way it's so tiny!

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
They hatch in 14-16 days. Its been at least that long. No sign of a chick. Yes, so tiny its crazy

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
Another sad day. Yet another dead chick. This one even smaller than the last. That leaves 4 possible out of the 7 eggs

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Use a toothpick, smooth the edge and dip formula into the mouth when they beg. If not begging - touch it to the beak or wait until they beg. Very warm formula.
This takes a long time and has to be done every 2 hours around the clock.

I am so sorry.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your losses.

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
There are 5 eggs left, I thought only 4 but saw 5 yesterday. I don't know if any more will hatch since the last chick was much smaller than the first.
I've raised tiels, but I don't know i can handle anything so very tiny.
The parents don't appear to ever leave the nest, They're always both in the nest when I go in and as long as I am in the room. There is plenty of food...is there anything special i should feed them? I have given them fruit and veggies (chop) and egg food as well.
If another chick hatches, I will try to pull it and feed it, but I have read horror stories about people killing finch chicks trying to care for them.
Thank you so much for your info and kindness. I really do appreciate the help and thoughtfulness.

Skye

Strolling the yard
There is plenty of food...is there anything special i should feed them? I have given them fruit and veggies (chop) and egg food as well.
Hello, I personally do not know much about feeding bird parents, but I believe that veggies and egg food in particular are very good (essential imo) additions to their diet. Hopefully others can weigh in on this.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Hope it all works out. I’m sorry for the other losses.