• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Female and Male Indian Ringneck

Arwa

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a African Grey Parrot which is always at home alone for 9 hours a day while I am at work. So I decided to get her some friends. I decided to buy an Indian Ring neck which I have no experience with. I went to more than 1 Avian shop and looked around. I ended up buying 2 IRNs, male and female.
I read about IRNs before purchasing them, but I didnt read about having a pair, female and male. I read that if I have both sexes in one cage they will not learn to talk and be playful, their main concentration will be on breeding. Another thing is that when I bought them I asked how old they are and the guy told me they are 10 months old. The male already has his black ring on his necks and after reading online it says that a male gets it's ring after 18 months. I think I have been lied to before purchasing my IRNs. I forgot to mention that they are untamed. Next day I went and purchased another cage and separated them and put each cage in opposite sides of the living room. Yesterday I came back from work and I dont know how, but the female found her way out of the cage. I dont see them play in their cages. They do bite on the cage and try to find a way out, they is what I noticed. I also noticed that they tear up the newspaper on the floor of the cage. I need an advice. Should I keep both birds or should I take one back to the Avian shop. If I am to keep both what should I do? Should I put them back together or should I leave them in separate cages. If I have both sexes will the ever learn to talk or sing or at least chirp. I am going to work on taming them but it will take time. I just dont want them to concentrate on breeding. I want them to be playful. My african grey is really happy. she tries to play with them but they are still scared and still need time to get used to the surroundings. But my main concerned is what should I do??????? I know I wrote alot but I am so worried and I need HELP!

Jamy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jamy
  1. I think you've been lied to. Pet stores just do that. I think you should be just a little more patient with them they are not use to the new surroundings yet these things take time. They will make a lot of sounds believe me I own 9 of them myself and some of them where rescues so believe me when I say be patient. I have one who only now started being interested in any toys and I've had her almost 2 years now. They do not all talk but tend to mimiek a hole bunch of sounds. Keep them closer together maybe if they are closer they can relax a bit I assume they come from the same store. Keep them each in their own cage. Hope it helps.

Arwa

1. I think you've been lied to. Pet stores just do that. I think you should be just a little more patient with them they are not use to the new surroundings yet these things take time. They will make a lot of sounds believe me I own 9 of them myself and some of them where rescues so believe me when I say be patient. I have one who only now started being interested in any toys and I've had her almost 2 years now. They do not all talk but tend to mimiek a hole bunch of sounds. Keep them closer together maybe if they are closer they can relax a bit I assume they come from the same store. Keep them each in their own cage. Hope it helps.
Thanks alot for your advice. I have already put toys in their cages and they are happy with them and they play. I noticed since yesterday that they are more relaxed, but are still kinda scared but much better than 3 days ago. I guess patience is the key. I just want them to be happy. I keep having doubts and asking myself are doing this right or wrong. It's like being a new mommy.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
You have an African grey which is a lotta bird responsibility. I don't have an african grey but know people that do and getting "friends" that are a different species and untamed doesn't seem like the wisest plan. Any way you could start from scratch on your plan, take them back and find some good solid info on how to work with your grey? Isn't adding 2 IRNs only compounding the issue?

Arwa

Things are getting better. My African grey is happy with her new friends. The IRNs dont mind the African grey playing with them from outside the cage but my African grey has a problem when they go near her cage. I just need them to get used to me. I will work on taming them and teach them how to step up.